• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Haggis, Highlands and hurricanes...the Scotland ride report

Reaction score
...coming soon...:trust:

sco.jpg

Cool! I noticed the Triumph Trophy in front as we have one of those.

We're going to the UK in mid December

Oh, boy. Another Anaconda ride/trip report. :clap::clap::clap: :popcorn:

Pre-ride...

The whole thing started when our resident Scotsman, Calgary-Yogi, went home for Christmas and decided to return later this year and ride a motorcycle on his homeland. He did put that up as a posted ride in here, and was brought up numerous times at the SW Houston bike nights. I jumped at the opportunity to a "guided" riding tour of Scotland, and luckily finances, frequent flyer miles and work all got in alignment for me to have an unforgetable riding adventure.

Eventually only three of us went there: Calgary-Yogi, Skip (a friend and coworker of C-Y), and myself. A week and a half before the ride, Graeme (Calgari-Yogi) thought the ride wouldn't be challenging enough so he managed to twist his ankle going up the stairs on his home. Luckiliy nothing was broken, but he did tear some ligaments. But with the aid of dirt-riding boots, and a mention of my previously tested technique (maybe I should register it? :rofl: ) of shifting with the back of the heel, Graeme was able to carry on with the plan.

We hired the bikes from a place just outside Aberdeen, aptly called "Scotland by bike"

scot001.jpg

Stuart was there waiting for us to pick up the bikes after we landed in Aberdeen. After going over the bikes, getting some goodies and a photo op, we where on our way to Graeme's parents house, where we would be based for a few days.

scot002.jpg

Day 1

The first riding day was a short, easy day where we would be getting used to the bikes and riding on the wro... left side of the road. We first rode along Aberdeen beach

(Graeme's pic)
scot002a.jpg

and then visited nearby Dunnottar Castle:

scot003.jpg

scot004.jpg

The most impressive thing was the location of the castle, makes you think how they managed to built it back in the days...

scot005.jpg

As you can see the weather that day was simply wonderful, although very, very windy down by the beach

scot006.jpg

We then got back on the bikes and rode to Stonehaven, where we stopped on an overlook for more photos...

scot009.jpg

scot008.jpg

Then we got back on the road, where we had a quick stop at Calgary-Yogi's sister place in the countryside, near Fettercairn:

scot010.jpg

...and then back to the bikes again for more riding, going up and down rolling hills that would become commonplace of our scottish riding experience:

(Graeme's pic)
scot011.jpg

(Graeme's)
scot012.jpg

We then rode up to Cairn O' Mont:

scot013.jpg

...and couldn't take enough of the amazing vistas...

scot014.jpg

...and the winding roads up and down the mountain
scot015.jpg

We made it back to Aberdeen just in time for dinner, and were treated to fish and chips by C-Y's parents. These folks are simply AWESOME and the nicest people you'll meet, I just can't get over how great they treated us and made us feel as part of the family (even Graeme...:rofl: :rofl: ). What best proof than putting up with us for 12 days?? :lol2:

scot017.jpg

Oh, boy. Another Anaconda ride/trip report. :clap::clap::clap: :popcorn:

More importantly an adventure I went on that has somebody else writing the ride report :clap: :clap:

Sparky, you better get on your horse or Ana will be finished her one before you ;-)

Cool! I noticed the Triumph Trophy in front as we have one of those.

We're going to the UK in mid December

The trophy (The red Beluga) was a great bike. It had enough power so that I did not have to keep heal (Ana) shifting all the time but way to heavy for the twisty twisty roads we were riding.

Bring lots of sweaters for December, where are you going ?

This should be REALLY GOOD.

Day 2

Skip's battery went dead, plus had another issue with the bike that would take a little while to sort out since it was sunday and things on the other side of the pond do not stay open 24-7 like in the states.

scot018.jpg

Being the great friends that we are, we did the only sensible thing--we went out riding without him... :twisted:

scot019.jpg

scot025.jpg

We went by Balmoral Castle, were I found out that the Queen forgot to tell the guards at the door that I was going there for a visit. The castle is not open to visitors when the Queen is in residence.

scot021.jpg

Somewhere along the ride we went past a pasture with highland cows...or heeland coos...

(Graeme's pic)
scot022.jpg

We then had a quick stop in Ballater for gas and to stretch a little bit. As you can see the weather was far from the sunny skies we had the day before, but at least it wasn't raining.

scot028.jpg

Next was Braemar, a more touristy spot where we stopped for lunch and a little shopping at the souvenir shops.

scot032.jpg

scot031.jpg

scot034.jpg

then back to more windy roads, when we decided to go up Cairn O'Mont again

scot036.jpg

On the way up there are many signs posted warning of motorcyclists, since the roads are so narrow and twisty cars tend to cut the corners too close

scot026.jpg

scot027.jpg

After that we went back to Aberdeen, and done for the day.

(Graeme's)
scot037.jpg

An Scottish acquaintance says, "If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain. If you can't see the mountains, it is raining." :lol2:

Kinda like this? one hunert percent accurate
redneck_weather_station.jpg

Calgari-Yogi, Yeah the Trophy can be a bit heavy however I found that fixing the front springs and making sure the rake and tail remains stock the bit goes well in the twisties. We run ours in AR.

We'll be visiting the Midlands area as my mom lives in Upton upon Severn. We usually take a few two to three day trips to see other sites. Last trip we spent time in Wales as a get away. I was born up in Lancashire but have only been back there once.

As it'll be winter no bike rides for sure.

Showed my wife this photo. She agrees that it is postcard quality.

If that town has a bureau of tourism, you should sell them a copy. :thumb:

scot008.jpg

Day 3

On monday we headed out to Strathpeffer, near Inverness, where we would be based for the next three days. With Skip finally back on (a different set of) two wheels, we left Aberdeen around noon. Graeme's folks would be driving straight through carrying our luggage, so we really didn't have to worry about packing and loading the bikes :clap: .

(Graeme's)
scot038.jpg

The route Graeme picked took us from the rolling hills outside the Aberdeen area...

(Graeme's)
scot039.jpg

..through the beautiful Scottish highlands. Forgive me for just dropping the next batch of photos without typing a bunch of words that would just not be good enough to describe the views. Let the photos do the talking, which, as they are, don't really do any justice to the beauty of the landscape.

scot041.jpg

scot041a.jpg

scot045a1.jpg

scot044.jpg

scot045.jpg

The single-track road would wind it's way through the hills, offering an undescribable riding experience.

(Graeme's)
scot045b.jpg

scot045c.jpg

Coming down the hill we came across a stream,

scot045e.jpg

which we would later cross through a narrow and "humpy" bridge. Very often the bridges are quite narrow, and you have to scan for traffic long before you enter and yield to oncoming traffic. It was a bit unnerving at first, but you eventually get used to it once you learn to pay attention to the "narrow road" signs and scan ahead for other cars.

scot045f.jpg

On this particular bridge Calgary-Yogi went ahead of us and shot a vid of Skip and I going through the bridge.

We rode through Dufftown where we stopped for gas. The town features a clock tower that welcomes the travellers that pass through.

scot045h.jpg

We later stopped for lunch at Tomintoul. Nice quaint little town, it seemed to be very popular among other motorcyclists, especially our lunch spot, "The Old Firestation"... although maybe it being the only place serving food at that time had something to do with it...

scot046.jpg

Part of our route would take us through the "Malt Whisky Trail", where many of the single-malt whisky distilleries are located. The plan was to visit one on the way back to Aberdeen, so we motored on. By the time we passed Inverness and approached Strathpeffer it started to rain, with the added bonus of us riding into the sun which would still be peeking through the clouds, making for an interesting riding experience... the one where al the hundred droplets on your faceshield reflect the sun right into your eyes. But in all, it was an awesome day of riding.

Last edited:
Going through the photos, I found one of Graeme's where you can see the bridge as we were approaching the crossing:

scot045d1.jpg

great pics!

I have to say, I'm a little jealous

Another video shot by Calgary-Yogi on one of the single-tracks:

The tall poles on the side of the road are snow poles that mark the edge of the road when it's snowed in...

...coming soon...:trust:

sco.jpg

Great pictures!

BTW, how did the car drivers behave around motorcycles on your trip?

love_that_etiquette-753284.gif

From the stories I have heard shared, the Brits and Euro's cagers have better driving etiquette, much more so for motorcycles/scooter than their US counterparts.

RB

Back