• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hail’s KTM 790 Farkle Thread

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
I picked this 2019 KTM 790 Adventure from Ricks77eb last Saturday. He already had this bike very nicely and tastefully farkled with large foot pegs, heated grips, luggage racks, crash bars and an Altrider top rack already setup for Givi Monokey. It also has Rally mode and Speed shift enabled.

C9A5389F-0A7B-4734-955B-E58037B2AAF0.jpeg

I still have a lot I plan to do to this bike and will document here.

Planned Upgrades and Purchases:
  • Powder Coating Luggage Racks & Crash Bars
  • Installing Front Fork Cartridges from and Adventure R (mine are not adjustable)
  • Upgrade or Replace the Rear Shock
  • Add Pod Lights
  • Add SWMotech Evo Tank Ring so I can use my existing SWMotech tank bags.
  • Add a Powered Dock for my Garmin
  • Install High R Version Front Fender
  • Air Cool Seat Cover
  • Givi Top Case
  • Slightly Taller Windscreen

Last edited:
I dropped the rear luggage racks off for powder coating yesterday. I am getting them done in black so the blend in with the bike a bit more.

Do you think I should do the front crash bars in KTM orange or just do black like the luggage racks?

You are going to put “R” cartridges in your forks? I didn’t know that was even an option. I know Andreanni makes adjustable fork cartridges fir the 790. I will also be interested to see which shock you choose and how it changes the ride. I have the same bike but I am ok with the suspension as is.
I would do the crash bars in black but that is just me.
Congrats on the new bike... you will love it!

You are going to put “R” cartridges in your forks? I didn’t know that was even an option. I know Andreanni makes adjustable fork cartridges fir the 790. I will also be interested to see which shock you choose and how it changes the ride. I have the same bike but I am ok with the suspension as is.
@Hail , what did suspension do you don't like?

Last edited:
@Ha, what did suspension do you don't like?
I like the stock suspension. It works pretty well for the riding I do. I don’t plan on changing mine but I’m interested to see the type of modifications that others are making.

I like the stock suspension. It works pretty well for the riding I do. I don’t plan on changing mine but I’m interested to see the type of modifications that others are making.
I bounce around between 220 & 230 lbs. With only preload in the rear and no adjustment up front I cannot get the front and rear to match. They do not compress evenly and it feels weird. The front is a bit too bouncy for me on top of that.

So I got my R version high front fender kit from KTM Twins yesterday but they sent the wrong color.

Got my Givi top case in and will take a photo of that later today. I went with the appropriately sized Dolomiti.
DDC087D7-7D68-4D71-98D2-9E2999FF9DDC.jpeg

Last edited:
I was told it can be done. If not I will buy new cartridges. I did Ohlins on my old Tiger 800. just upgraded everything in my DRZ with RaceTech. The 1290 is great stock already.

Last edited:
Got new shoes today. I rarely stick with the same tires. Every pair of new shoes is different. Well except for my DRZ. I have had TKC80s on it for 8 years now.

I decided to try Trailmax Missions on the 790. The rear has a stiff sidewall. Reminds me of Heidenau K60.

3364F300-6C26-44D9-88EA-3B9A990E797D.jpeg

E083DC01-D323-474D-9651-D636777EA287.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got Missions on mine as well. I really like them although I don’t have much to compare them to. I bought them based on YouTube reviews and feedback I’ve read on this site.

I've thought about the Mission front. I'm already really happy with the Motoz GPS rear, so I've decided to try the matching front. It's in the garage, along with another rear, but I've not worn out my current TKC80 front yet.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the missions.

Last edited:
The horn on the 790 was so wimpy I decided to upgrade. I went with a Denali soundbomb mini. Fits on OEM bracket. I am a little concerned about how close this is to the exhaust. Others have done it so I will swallow my fear for now. The mini sounds like a full size car horn. The original was a little like mini clown car horn.
ABF07224-9877-4FC3-BAAE-CCEA4CBE3765.jpeg

16560B43-2FBC-4410-B608-DF72F895BA9E.jpeg

My MOSKO offset pannier set came in Friday. …of course my racks are still at the powder coating shop. These are super nice! I think I may buy some pannier racks for my 1290 so I can use these on it too. I hate my OEM hard side cases.

663661C2-1B5E-466C-8893-D2BFE923E2DB.jpeg

Cool Cover seat cover. It really does allow good airflow and never gets hot. I need one of these for my 1290 now.

View attachment 300387

View attachment 300388
This seat cover really does make it feel like you have a/c on your bum.

So I added the SW-Motech Evo tank ring only to find out I CANNOT use any of my existing SW-Motech bags. The ring mounts in reverse of my other bikes because the gas cap opens towards the controls. I placed an order for a new SW-Motech Daypack (5-9L). That is just about all I can fit. The good news is I have never been a fan of giant tank bags. I actually gave one of these daypack bags away just a year and a half ago. :(

SWMotechDayBag.jpg

So I added the SW-Motech Evo tank ring only to find out I CANNOT use any of my existing SW-Motech bags. The ring mounts in reverse of my other bikes because the gas cap opens towards the controls. I placed an order for a new SW-Motech Daypack (5-9L). That is just about all I can fit. The good news is I have never been a fan of giant tank bags. I actually gave one of these daypack bags away just a year and a half ago. :(

View attachment 300736

Not being familiar with the specifics of the 790's gas tank, can't you just turn the cap around?

I've thought about the Mission front. I'm already really happy with the Motoz GPS rear, so I've decided to try the matching front. It's in the garage, along with another rear, but I've not worn out my current TKC80 front yet.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the missions.
The Motoz Tractionator GPS was on my short list.

Richard was nice enough to include a Touratech 12mm GPS bar mount installed on my 790. The problem is that Touratech is backordered on their direct bar mounts with AMPs pattern. I found this nice CNC option in 12mm and placed an order. I use a Garmin Montana 650t with charging cradle (yet to be installed on the 790.)

Images from MotoPumps Site
GPS Mount1.jpg

GPS Mount2.jpg

Luggage racks are back from powder coating. Crash bars should be back tomorrow. I can then get everything buttoned back up. UCI inCypress did a fantastic job!

FBB21771-74A6-405B-A386-F710D852565D.jpeg

A318A685-2E6B-454A-BAD9-C02E8732A4FC.jpeg

The horn on the 790 was so wimpy I decided to upgrade. I went with a Denali soundbomb mini. Fits on OEM bracket. I am a little concerned about how close this is to the exhaust. Others have done it so I will swallow my fear for now. The mini sounds like a full size car horn. The original was a little like mini clown car horn.View attachment 300666
View attachment 300667
Well the horn gets hot but no sign of melting even at max temps for an hour.

I got my MOSKO Backcountry 2.1 bags mounted. I love these. The side pouches are not in these photos. I am thinking i will use the side pouches for tools. Exhaust side is 25L and the other is 35L.

The 2.1 bags have a spring loaded side release rather that the flip latch at the top. These are by far the highest quality soft panniers I have ever owned. Tons of attachment points. Tons of compression straps. I am kind of thinking I may ride my 790 to New Mexico at the end of a September instead of my 1290.

Useless Trivia: we can fit all of our bath towels in these bags.

F5E70FF5-E2B3-477B-A261-2745409DCCA1.jpeg

2EB27BD0-195E-455F-804D-BDFB63EC2BB7.jpeg

E6D6BD30-17BD-4121-A831-4EE1C632B51D.jpeg

6B9FDEF6-C378-48C1-9C31-EC37E5475562.jpeg

0393D543-5EBC-486D-98E5-3579F914D763.jpeg

Back