• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Handy tool thread

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
I searched and didn't find a similar thread, so thought I might start one and see where it goes.

Ever come across a good deal on everyday tools?
Ever stumble upon a handy tool to add to your tool chest?
Ever make or alter an existing tool to make it work better?

Here is my contribution ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9X19G1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

51jegLBPaIL._SL1001_.jpg

Cheap
Handy as can be ...
task lighting in small places
spot lighting for taking those for sale pics
The wife uses one in her sewing room
great in the console or side pocket of the truck

Magnetic base
2 sizes
Charges using a micro USB cable

The Baja No-pinch is the latest specialty tool I’ve added to my collection. I haven’t had the chance to use it, but will be changing tires in a week, so I’ll get to break it in then.

People that have them love them. I’ll find out soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the most handy tool is a small block of wood cut to exactly fit in the space between the swing arm and the tension bushing. It makes aligning the rear wheel super easy. No more fussing with chain alignment. Easy to carry in the tool pouch.

The Baja No-pinch is the latest specialty tool I’ve added to my collection. I haven’t had the chance to use it, but will be changing tires in a week, so I’ll get to break it in then.

People that have them love them. I’ll find out soon enough.

It's the bees knees. Makes putting the tire back on, while on the side of the road, the easiest part.

My suggestion is to take really small bites with it to protect the shaft threads.

Make sure you have the correct shaft size though. That's a bummer to find out in the heat of the moment. (Man, that didn't come out right)

The shafts for the Africa Twin and KLR are not the same for example. I went ahead and bought them all just in case another rider needs it on a ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really for motorcycles specifically, but I just came across these little guys a week or so back. If you are a metal fabricator, these are about as good as it gets for squares and fab tools for you. Mine are backordered right now but I plan on putting them through their paces as soon as they arrive.

https://fireballtool.com/squares/

Not really for motorcycles specifically, but I just came across these little guys a week or so back. If you are a metal fabricator, these are about as good as it gets for squares and fab tools for you. Mine are backordered right now but I plan on putting them through their paces as soon as they arrive.

Holy jeepers batman.

Those are pricey.

Reactions: JMZ
It's the bees knees. Makes putting the tire back on, while on the side of the road, the easiest part.

My suggestion is to take really small bites with it to protect the shaft threads.

Make sure you have the correct shaft size though. That's a bummer to find out in the heat of the moment. (Man, that didn't come out right)

The shafts for the Africa Twin and KLR are not the same for example. I went ahead and bought them all just in case another rider needs it on a ride.

I bought the deluxe set for the same reason. Also to future proof my purchase. I'd think the future proofing would be a bigger reason for you since you seem to buy and sell more bikes than some smaller dealers. :lol2:

I bought the poor-mans version of some of their stuff. Well, poorer man's version. These aren't exactly cheap either. Probably not nearly as precise either. But they come as a kit, so any out-of-squareness is on me.

https://weldtables.com/collections/fabsquares

Probably the most handy tool is a small block of wood cut to exactly fit in the space between the swing arm and the tension bushing. It makes aligning the rear wheel super easy. No more fussing with chain alignment. Easy to carry in the tool pouch.

Not sure I understand this but interested. Would you have a picture to illustrate?

Im not sure what you mean. Picture please

^^^^

Also handy to hold the bead down in the rim valley when spooning on a tire by yourself. I carry three with me.

Some of you may already be into this, but a valve stem fishing tool is a must have for those of us who have rides with tube type tires.

d35cbbb75849513406d0d1ab7b8a9836.jpg

You can snag them from pretty much any online auto parts place.

Holy jeepers batman.

Those are pricey.
They are, but after years upon years of working with crappy little woodworking squares I'm finally moving up to something designed for metal fab. Now if only they will get here! :)

I bought the poor-mans version of some of their stuff. Well, poorer man's version. These aren't exactly cheap either. Probably not nearly as precise either. But they come as a kit, so any out-of-squareness is on me.

https://weldtables.com/collections/fabsquares

I looked at those as well, I just knew that knowing my luck I would weld the dang things out of square and then I was back to the start.

Some of you may already be into this, but a valve stem fishing tool is a must have for those of us who have rides with tube type tires.

View attachment 48966

You can snag them from pretty much any online auto parts place.

I have that exact tool. I found that the part on the end would not fit through the hole in my rims. I have a different one now that fits through the rim hole and threads into the valve stem instead of over it. It works MUCH better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GT8FTRK/?tag=twowhetex-20/?tag=twowhetex-20

71yIVPSQ49L._SL1500_.jpg

I have that exact tool. I found that the part on the end would not fit through the hole in my rims. I have a different one now that fits through the rim hole and threads into the valve stem instead of over it. It works MUCH better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GT8FTRK/?tag=twowhetex-20/?tag=twowhetex-20

View attachment 48970
I’ve got something like that. Actually 5 somethings like that I purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV I think. Not sure how I ended up with 5 of them. I’ve given a few of them away over the years. I did find them useful.

Last edited:
I’ve got something like that. Actually 5 somethings like that I purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV I think. Not sure I ended up with 5 of them. I’ve given a few of them away over the years. I did find them useful.

They are handy as the dickens, but they break pretty easily so having extras is a good thing. On the other hand, since you have 5 of them, you may never break one...

They are handy as the dickens, but they break pretty easily so having extras is a good thing. On the other hand, since you have 5 of them, you may never break one...

I've had the same one for years. Not sure why they would break? The cable on my isn't frayed or anything.

Are either of those valve stem pullers able to fish through the hole in the rim and guide the stem to and through the hole? or just able to remove the valve core?

Are either of those valve stem pullers able to fish through the hole in the rim and guide the stem to and through the hole? or just able to remove the valve core?
Yes, to guide the stem into the hole. If you get one make sure to get one that swivels on the working end, the end that screws into the stem. I have one of each and the one that swivels on the big end is a pain for me. I like the on SB linked. Just notice it is the same as TM linked with smaller dia cable, so either one is good.

Last edited:
hmmm ... right now, at the valve stem hole, I slide a block of wood between the outside rim, flip it over and spoon the tire off the opposite side creating space inside the tire and access to fit my hand. Might have to try that little tool.

Rim locks and rim band ... band over the lock? or rim lock through the band?

Back