• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Happy New Year!!

Chirpy

Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
Okay, been lurking a bit, so figure it's time to sign up!

Typical '63 model retread who got bit by the track bug hard in 2000, so I've fallen into that in a bad way. The road riding has suffered a bit as of late :( , somewhat due to racing and track days and somewhat due to 16 month and 3 month old kiddos Gratuitous Kid Pix .

Level 1 and 2 of CSS started the track bug, and Freddie School did nothing to quench it. I have much more theoritical knowledge than balls to apply it, although I'm working on that. Having an EX500 for a track bike was great, as two years on that puppy taught me more about cornering than you typically learn by "point and shoot" style, where HP makes up for a lack of skill. Got to apply this once on a HSTA ride with a two up PC800 dicing with the ST1100s on and around 337. Had a few people ask what motor work I had done on the PC.

Hopefully in '04 I'll get some more road time, although the truth is that the more track time I get, the less interested I am in street riding. This may be the end of the VTR, and time for something a little more sedate. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking at the new Sportster, although the urge to build a more Confederate styled custom is strong. Fight the dark side I must...

Like I have money or time for any of the above...since the VTR just got paid for, the inertia of simply doing nothing may win. :wink:

One thing I could use some help with from you kind folks. I have an old lead on the Texas HSTA newsletter, but I'd really be interested in finding out about any Texas-centric VFR, BMW or Triumph clubs that have newsletters. I'd really like to place some TrackLeather ads in them, but I have to find them first :-D

Anyway, hope to meet a few of you either on the road, at some local shops or even better - at the track :chug: !

Thanks,

Daryl

Howdy Uberhawk,

:tab Welcome to the site. I have done two of the Lone Star Trackdays events. I can vouch for the addictiveness of such behavior!! I money were not such a constraining factor, I would definitely be spending more time on the track. For sheer go fast exhilaration, it is hard to beat! However, I still find myself drawn to the street because of all the challenges it presents. I like having to read the road, decide how best to execute a corner to maximize the fun while still keeping it sane and safe. I like that the scenery changes. I enjoy the sense of adventure in riding new roads and finding out where they will lead. Yet, there is still something about the track...

:tab At one time I was maintaining a list of Texas VFR riders. I had about 50 or so people on the list. It was not really a club though. Many of those people are now on this site. As for the BMW's, Triumphs, etc,... I've no idea if there are any Texas clubs for them. Right now we don't really have advertising here on the TWT site per se. I think I will be adding another forum for trackdays/riding schools. Posting something about the trackleathers there would be cool.

Adios,

The closest Triumph Rat pack that I know of is in Waco but they no longer even have a leader. It's run out of the Euro Shop 254-757-2453. They have no newsletter, everything was done by e-mail and since the last leader "retired" I haven't gotten anything from them.

Ditto on the sportbikes. I found myself riding way too fast on my Sprints so I got rid of my last one and bought a Speedmaster. Cruiser comfort and still has fair performance. Nothing like the sportbikes I had but enough to scare me.

Hey 10-95,

:tab We were coming into C.S. on Hwy 30 around 4:45pm on Wednesday and saw a Triumph cruiser. It was me on the VFR with all the luggage, then Deb and Beth behind me. Any chance that was you?

Adios,

Nope, wasn't me. Wednesday my unit participated in a buy/bust operation at the various dope spots in Bryan. About that time I was booking in a couple of guys.

I wish it had been though. A bad day of riding is better than a good day at work. :-D

10-95, funny you should bring up the Speedmaster, it and the Thruxton are on the list of possibilities. I talked to Marc Andrews up at EuroShop, he was kinda vague on the RATT group as well. Looks like TexMoto/RideTexas whatever the heck it's called may be the best way to reach Texas riders. Just not sure how wide the circ really is.

I wanna keep a street bike, it's just that the VTR is pretty miserable at sane street speeds. Went for a ride with a buddy who has a Road King. He had a blast, I was bored. That's when I started thinking about changing to something a little more sedate for the street. Even test rode a 'Wing! Not there yet...nor the mini-wing ST1300. Anything over 600lbs belongs in a parade :roll:

Oh well, two more days before I have to go to work!

Daryl

Whoops,

Of the off chance that anybody ever reads this again, I figured I'd update it with the decision...
sm_sportster.jpg

For a guy who used to hate Harleys, I sure do like this one...[/img]

Nice Sportster there, Daryl. 8-)
I've always had a soft spot for those.

Have you got it back from the dealership yet? :-P

Adios,

Yup, and I'm just claiming all's well that end's well. Shame on me for expect service better than a typical Honda dealer.

The fully adjustable fork off the slow-selling and now dead "S" model is a winner. Next will be some inch or inch and a half over rears and I'll be pretty close to replicating that model, except with the rubber-mount and a little more power.

Imagine the look of surprise on some poor SV owners face when a fat guy on a Harley goes around on the outside ;-)

Imagine the look of surprise on some poor SV owners face when a fat guy on a Harley goes around on the outside

So does this mean you'll be taking it to the track? :twisted:

Adios,

You know, after I put the 17"s on, I probably will.

Be fun :twisted:

"S" model Sportsters can be made to hustle. I know this because I had one monstering the back of my XV920 for 50 miles one fine morning through the river gorge coming back from North Carolina.

I wouldn't let him pass though, and I know he wanted to, and could have at that. :angel:

Yup, I've got the "S" model suspension on my R, and it made all the difference in the world.

Showa three way adjustable at both ends, yup, Honda makes the shocks on my Harley. And the carb. And the clocks (I think).

Good thing I don't ride a furrin' bike anymore ;-)

American Iron... Japanese Alloys/Plastic?

:-P

Adios,

You know, I still can't figure out why I like this stupid bike so much...

06right.jpg

Maybe just 'cause it's purty.

06leftside.jpg

Santa brought the color matched sidecovers...took the elves 12 weeks to paint 'em, but I'm very, very happy.

Now if I just had more riding time...

I rather like them too. Even stopped at a local HD dealer last weekend and sat on one. The newer Sporties look like much better-made bikes than the old one I had. Also sat on a Ulysses - kind of an odd-ball bike, but it sure feels right. Lots of neat features, too.

scratch said:
................sat on a Ulysses - kind of an odd-ball bike, but it sure feels right.

Seeing how you ride with three cyl's you would know an odd-ball bike when you sit on one....................:lol2:

Touche'! :mrgreen: Hope your odd-ball is every bit as enjoyable as mine. ;-)

I'm going to have to take both models for a test ride. Just sitting on them, the shifter and clutch action felt so much nicer than I remember. Harley and Buell are making some real effort towards refinement of their bikes.

Back