• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I have seen this video and in this situation definitely, but I have hard bags for convenience. I went down in Baja and just kept repeating in head head,”keep your feet in, keep your feet in.” I am considering Atacama’s now that BMW is selling them again for intense rides.

Back to the Baja get off all was good and the hard bags allowed me to slide out from under it. I got pinned under the Tiger once when I didn’t have bags on. It was the support arm from the frame to foot peg hanger that pinned my leg.

Everything is a compromise. I know folks that have broken their legs just from falling over in a parking lot or at a light when the bike wasn't even moving.

If I am going to be riding nasty stuff, I am more likely to use soft bags. It is as much about not having the hard bags and their mounts destroyed as it is about avoiding the potential for breaking my lower leg. That said, even with soft bags, you can certainly still break a leg. It might not be the bag that does it, but it can still easily happen just from trying to put a leg out.

Probably the best thing he did was to get his right foot off the peg and keep his weight on the left foot as long as possible. You really want the down side leg out from under the bike.

This is everything I have considered (and remind my self) about a good higher speed get of. Roll with it. Thanks for posting this jarrett. Video says brace your fall with your hand, break your wrist. Brace your fall with your elbow, break your collarbone.

Also, I'm thinking a muscle memory exercise could be to sprint on foot in full gear, and take a dive (perhaps in the back yard on thick grass where no one could see you 😉) and practice a left and a right side "Roll" dismount.

Have done seemingly silly stuff in full bunker gear like this such as sliding down stairways on our backs to reinforce safety in high risk environments.

That guy in the blue pajamas has a hard fall coming between the shoulders. I remember being pitched off a horse, and a dead square back landing like that. Couldn't breath for 10 min.

I still can't remember exactly what I did when I crashed back in 2017, but I can see how bracing with my hand and elbow to stop the fall cracked my wrist and collarbone. I remember I was surprised how easily I broke my bones.

I've since read about how to roll like he mentions. I'm still not sure if that's something I can pull of naturally, though.

It's funny you mention that. Up until recently I've trained in martial arts most of my life. The self-defense part hasn't been needed that often, but another thing they teach in some of those classes is how to fall, hard. Judo and Jujutsu were the big ones I trained in for that. Every class, lots of high impact falls. Stuff like this:

View attachment 238432 View attachment 238433 View attachment 238434

If you notice in that middle picture how calm the woman is in mid air, that's the kind of stuff you learn in those classes. Hard to fall well and safely.

I think that's the most important thing I learned in all those years of martial arts. I feel like it helps me quite a bit on the motorcycle. I've come off of most of my bikes at a pretty good clip and feel like this old training has certainly helped me.

Which one are you? [emoji23]

Bags:

Nothing more convenient than hard bags. However, I have both.

Mosko when in the dirt, Givi trekker when on street.

I did break my leg with the mosko, but it would have been worse with hard bags.

Iv never had soft bags but I have got a bad bruise from the hard bag just trying to keep the bike upright on a steep incline. O did not go down but was sore for a couple days.
Iv also laid it down and the hard bag held the bike off of me.
Honestly i think if I did more hard core dirt and trails I’d go lighter bike and soft bags but since I do 90% highway I love my hard bags.
I can carry 6 gallons of paint in the side bags when painting one of the houses. I can put 4 2x4s on the hard bag and strap them to the engine guard on the right side and go to work. Iv carried 4 bags of range cubes on top of the hard bags for the cattle. As far as I’m conserved my hard bags are the bomb.
Some day i get a 450 with soft bags for the back roads but for now the Tenere is my fun truck.

These look good...$185

Back