• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley Project

YES, please stop. Please don't "bother" any more.

I'm trying to follow "Thou shalt not covet" and having a HRAD time doing so here.

;-)
iiIt is just frustrating to post something, to take the time to share, and have so many views and no comments ot 2 or 3.
That is why I rarely post here anymore.

Sounds and looks like a fun project. Not a huge Harley fan, but think this one looks pretty darn cool. I will check back in for some progress updates.

This bike is rare and valuable. I will take it to shows and an occasional ride to show it off. Not a comfortable bike, or an especially good road bike.
Eye candy!

th?&id=HN.608011230160424085&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

There are enough of those already restored back to stock, and they are not all THAT rare. Bikes are to ride. I'd do a cool resto mod on that bike in a heartbeat and have something that was actually fun to ride, unlike the stock version of that bike which sucked to ride even back in the 70's. Keep the cool look but make it functional to actually ride. Have fun with it whatever and however you do it.

There are enough of those already restored back to stock, and they are not all THAT rare. Bikes are to ride. I'd do a cool resto mod on that bike in a heartbeat and have something that was actually fun to ride, unlike the stock version of that bike which sucked to ride even back in the 70's. Keep the cool look but make it functional to actually ride. Have fun with it whatever and however you do it.

Well. There were a total of 3,213 XLCR built.
That seems pretty rare, to Me, but what do I know?
I am pretty sure not all of them survived the years, so I guess it boils down to how You define "rare".
There are two of them here in Amarillo, that I know of, including Mine.
The other one is in a Museum, a non-runner.
I will restore it back to stock specs, as some day I will need to find it a new home, and I want the best price I can get.
I have enough modern bikes, that this bike will be a Sunday-sometimes rider.:rider:

Oh man oh man, you SCORED big time. I remember those when they first came out. Not a lot of people liked the looks and the fairing and pipes got pulled off and trashed. I am sure you will do an excellent job on it. Post pics as you go. You have a powder coater in mind ?

Tom

Oh man oh man, you SCORED big time. I remember those when they first came out. Not a lot of people liked the looks and the fairing and pipes got pulled off and trashed. I am sure you will do an excellent job on it. Post pics as you go. You have a powder coater in mind ?

Tom

Thanks, Tom, I do think I scored on this bike.
I have done several restos with powdercoat, including My Bronson bike, which is currently on loan to Buddy Stubs Harley-Davidson Museum.
I have decided not to use pc on this project, I want as close to factory as I can get.
The powdercoat seems to be too shiny and plastic looking, although it IS very durable, so I will use paint.
I hope to start this project within the next months or so, full tear down and then the fun begins!

Paint would be the correct way to do the frame as you pointed out. I still have contact with the folks at the dealership I used to work at plus know lots of folks in the Harley world so if you need any help bump me.
Tom

Paint would be the correct way to do the frame as you pointed out. I still have contact with the folks at the dealership I used to work at plus know lots of folks in the Harley world so if you need any help bump me.
Tom

Thanks, Tom, I will probably asking You for help at some point!

I just think if a person takes the time to write and post a topic that is related to the FORUM, it is only polite to at least say "enjoyed the post" or "thanks for posting".
But, I was brought up to say, Thanks, no thanks, Yes M'am No Ma'm and such old fashioned things.:shrug:

Don
Any chance you found the back seat for that thing did you? The dealership I saw the one in back in 1977 also had a Vincent Black Shadow and an Ariel Square Four sitting in the used bike section. How I wish I had a time machine.
Tom

Don
Any chance you found the back seat for that thing did you? The dealership I saw the one in back in 1977 also had a Vincent Black Shadow and an Ariel Square Four sitting in the used bike section. How I wish I had a time machine.
Tom

Tom, the XLCR had a solo seat and no rear passenger pegs.
There is an option to add rear pegs, but I don't know of a rear seat?

Looking forward to this resto! Been looking for an older Harley to occupy some of my retirement time, myself, so I will enjoy seeing this one come together. Good luck with your project!

Found a link to a 77 XLCR and I guess my memory of the one I saw was to far faded. This bike has a seat that looks like it "might" be called a two up seat.
Tom

Back