• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Has Anyone ridden the Dirt Roads up around Rattan/Cloudy Oklahoma

Reaction score
First Name
David
I was up in the area last weekend. Some endless roads with some very hidden "Hole in the Wall" eating places. Some creek crossings. Was on the 1290 and so I didn't get too adventurous. Next time will take the 500. If anyone feels like they want to explore let me know. I have a track I made that goes from Rattan to Talimena that I'd like to try. I made it on REVER which I've never used on the bike.

My rides are booked till July. But I would be interested in this middle of July.

I tried to DRIVE through there in my pickup one week on my way back from Smithville. The pavement quit somewhere near Battiest, and my wife made me turn around. That is headed toward the Three Rivers WMA, which is 250,000 acres of awesome. I rode my little bike back there one day for 5 hours and never saw another human. Always thought it would be cool to traverse that whole area on my way up to Talemina. I wonder if my track idea is similar to yours.

Took the 500 up and staged from The South Pole Country store. Nice place that has non ethanol 87 octane. Also some snacks and cold beer for the end of the day.
I found a lot more than I thought. Some very awesome roads, some of which hadn't seen a motorized vehicle in years. Cool creek crossings and some beautiful camping spots on creeks and rivers. Put on about 300 miles. So many roads aren't on any GPS/Google /REVER etc. Phone service for Verizon was almost non existent. I carry the Garmin 66i just in case. Temps ranged from 45 in the AM to 70 in ther afternoon. It was pretty nice day. In the 8 hours I was there I saw 3 cars no bikes and no SXS's. The deer in Ok are Huge. Lots of Raccoons armadillos Turkey and more snakes than I've ever seen in one day. I think this place could easily rival Ark as far as dirt roads go.

David, any of this big bike friendly for mortals? As of right now no plated dirt bike.

I could have taken the 1290 on almost all of this and had fun. a couple of roads I found would have been a real challenge for me on the 1290 as you had to go over some pretty big logs. You talking about the Beemer? I think you would be fine. You will need a GPS or Voyager as I would not have made it back to my truck without it. Too many roads.

Last edited:
Yes the 850. If we ever get over this virus stuff I'm going up that way. I'm not ready yet for motels or eating 3 meals on the road. Not yet.

Last edited:
TONS of forest service roads up and around there. Prolly plenty of options for a big adventure bike.
If you guys decide to do a trip up there, I am very interested. Been wanting to explore that area since it is so close to home.

It would be great to get there early and pa k a lunch I’m going back in another couple of days so I can put some of this together

Wow, looks like the best day to go up there is...MONDAY(tomorrow)... which I'm sure I can't pull off. Lots of rain in the forecast for the rest of the week. I could prolly get up there Wednesday or Thursday. Got another buddy that would like to check it out too. We will watch the weather.

BTW, I know this wouldn't make much sense for you, WFO75080, but there is a really decent motel in Antlers - Antlers Budget Inn, that is about $50/night. That isn't too awful far away from this riding area.

Looks like a little too much rain unless you're on a small bike and like mud. We can monitor things. I think a night in a hotel would give 2 good days of exploring. I'm up for it.

Back