• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HB 2470 - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

Hey RB,:wave: glad to see your still around. I have to agree with you on the Lej. a sad state of affairs. Sadder still that the only reason most were elected is because there are no challengers. Sure wish that "none of the above" was on the ballot.
Looking forward to your next RR.:pirate:

...I'm going to see if I can post an exchange of message with this.

I emailed the senator today (from my PHONE, because our internet wasn't working..) Now that's dedication. ;) This is just a minor bump in the road. A group of 85 people versus a group of 2,611..I'd say the odds are slightly stacked against them at this point. "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." -Romans 12:21 We love you, Mal!

Latest post on their page.......I guess were evil now???

Say, don't we have a TWT member who's currently a writer for one of the Dallas newspapers? Or did I dream that? If we do, someone needs to call him ASAP.

Trent South My opinion was deleted and I was blocked about 4 hours ago.

That's right Trent, because you posted a rant calling people douchebags etc. You were sent message stating if you could refrain from rants or insulting people you would be allowed back.

People might try to take note on which page actual discussion is allowed to take place and which is exercising the real censorship.

Just crossposted a big set of links/call to action on the Austin Sportbike Riders (ASR) page on meetup dot com. I asked them to join the fight and spread the word in their sportbike circles.

Now I know I am new here and things may be different from what I am used to but....
It seems to me that getting sucked into a 'debate' (term used loosely) with a grieving family and their supporters is both foolish and futile.
The grievers will be too distracted by their pain to see clearly, and anyone who disagrees is clearly meaning harm to the memory of the loved one and does not understand how much the loss means. Or at least that is how it seems from their point of view.
Those who take issue with the proposed law should take action only with the persons who are in a position to enact such a law, and do so with proper consideration for the laws already in place and the respect due to the position if not the holder.

Simply put, stop wasting your time and energy trying to change the minds of people who will NEVER change their views. Instead focus that energy on what the family and friends should have done in the first place, make a better law. Introduce and support a law that makes this one redundant, with good structure, language and definitions. One that might be supported by most motorcyclists and can be seen as sensible even by those who may not like it. Then tell your representatives to support that instead of this piece of badly worded emotional knee-jerk.
That approach has a much better chance of working than *****ing at people who are hurting and cannot see that their actions will hurt many others for many years.

Of course, I am not from around here and probably don't know what I am talking about.
But maybe you might think on this and come up with a better way.
Respectfully.
KT.

They do realize Hutchison and Cornyn are both US senators right?

Now I know I am new here and things may be different from what I am used to but....
It seems to me that getting sucked into a 'debate' (term used loosely) with a grieving family and their supporters is both foolish and futile.
The grievers will be too distracted by their pain to see clearly, and anyone who disagrees is clearly meaning harm to the memory of the loved one and does not understand how much the loss means. Or at least that is how it seems from their point of view.
Those who take issue with the proposed law should take action only with the persons who are in a position to enact such a law, and do so with proper consideration for the laws already in place and the respect due to the position if not the holder.

Simply put, stop wasting your time and energy trying to change the minds of people who will NEVER change their views. Instead focus that energy on what the family and friends should have done in the first place, make a better law. Introduce and support a law that makes this one redundant, with good structure, language and definitions. One that might be supported by most motorcyclists and can be seen as sensible even by those who may not like it. Then tell your representatives to support that instead of this piece of badly worded emotional knee-jerk.
That approach has a much better chance of working than *****ing at people who are hurting and cannot see that their actions will hurt many others for many years.

Of course, I am not from around here and probably don't know what I am talking about.
But maybe you might think on this and come up with a better way.
Respectfully.
KT.

Part of the problem Kiwi, is that another group and a state rep decided to use the family and the accident as a figurehead for the bill. The facebook page in this thread is about the bill and was created by this 'group'... however the 'mother' was given admin rights.

We can start to discuss the bill, and a supporter uses the accident as a defense. Try to address aspects of it in relation to the bill and it's disrepectful, attacking the girl/mother etc.

In regards to your suggestion, we're trying... but we're trying to get this one stopped or changed, problem is it came in under the radar and by the time we got wind it was 1/2 through the legislative process.

Thanks Tony! :clap:

A guy named Trent over there is a real spoksman for their cause lol

This was directed to me
Josh, are you ******* KIDDING ME? You honestly think your groups are showing restraint? Like I have said numerous times, I don't have a problem with you guys opposition of this law, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I disagree with a lot of the posts I have seen about and directed at Mal and her family. Don't try to act like a goody two shoes you pompous **** ***. Take your arrogance to your motorcycle fan boy club.

My last response

I'm actually sitting here at home with a cast on my right arm due to a broken wrist due to a car making a left turn and violating my right of way.

And instead of pushing for a a piece of un-enforceable legislation you should be doing something similar to that woman and finding a way to EDUCATE people, to truly honor your daughter's memory. THAT WILL save people not a law that most people who ride like what you want to prevent will not even know about.

Such as Texas' helmet law. If you are under 21 you have to wear a helmet. If you are over 21 you can go without on if you have enough medical coverage. I don't know the exact number because I always wear one along with full motorcycle gear. But it's poorly enforced because how can an officer determine who much insurance someone really have.

This law will wind up the sameway. Some kind of education program as what the woman on that website does is a much better and effective way to expend your time, energy, and money. At least if you are truly serious about wanting to help prevent things like this from happening.

And Trent I'm going to be simply ignoring your posts from here on in since you seem to have a problem controlling your emotions. *******?? Really? Nice way to debate a topic.

Most of the comments relating to Malorie have to do with her making a decision as a grown adult. She was past the age of majority and was perfectly capable of making decision on her own including swinging a leg over the said motorcycle.

I've lost family members. I've lost family members more than once to motorcycle accidents but I'm not out trying to get motorcycle banned. I try to educate those around me about proper use of motorcycle gear wearing helmets ect.

Heck I wear all my gear all the time and I'm still against helmet laws, because I believe that everyone should be responsible for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

....it might also help to inform people, or stress that this bill has already gone through 1/2 the legislative process. I've seen a few comments that have given me the impression how successful it was in the house, for those unware... over 120 of our state reps voted FOR this bill and only two voted against it. For those against HB 2470 that should be of some serious concern.

A guy named Trent over there is a real spoksman for their cause lol

This was directed to me

My last response

I'm tired of the guy and reporting him... his post that he complains about us deleting, was nothing more than a rant attacking and verbally abusing the supporters of our page and I've had enough of his hypocrisy.

Fixed ;)

Another one

I emailed the senator today (from my PHONE, because our internet wasn't working..) Now that's dedication. ;) This is just a minor bump in the road. A group of 85 people versus a group of 2,611..I'd say the odds are slightly stacked against them at this point. "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." -Romans 12:21 We love you, Mal!

My response

I don't get the bible quote there. Are motorcycle riders who are against this bill now considered evil? Serious question.

Here's the biggest part of the bill...

SECTION 1. This Act shall be known as Malorie's Law.
SECTION 2. Section 521.084, Transportation Code, is amended
to read as follows:
Sec. 521.084. CLASS M LICENSE. A Class M driver's license
authorizes the holder of the license to operate a motorcycle,
including a sport bike as defined by Section 541.201, or a moped.
SECTION 3. Section 541.201, Transportation Code, is amended
by adding Subdivision (18-a) to read as follows:
(18-a) "Sport bike" means a motorcycle:
(A) that is optimized for speed, acceleration,
braking, and maneuverability on paved roads;
(B) that has a lightweight frame;
(C) on which the operator leans forward over the
gas tank during operation; and
(D) that is not a touring, cruising, standard, or
dual-sport motorcycle.
SECTION 4. Subchapter I, Chapter 545, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 545.4161 to read as follows:
Sec. 545.4161. OPERATION OF SPORT BIKE. (a) In addition to
the requirements and prohibitions under Section 545.416, an
operator may not carry another person on a sport bike unless the
sport bike is designed to carry more than one person and:
(1) the operator:
(A) is at least 18 years of age; and
(B) has had a Class M license for at least two
years; or
(2) the other person:
(A) is at least 18 years of age and holds a Class
M license; or
(B) is a motorcycle operator training and safety
course instructor certified under Chapter 662.
(b) An operator of a sport bike shall ensure that a
passenger on the sport bike complies with all department
regulations relating to motorcycle safety. "

Now where, on ghods green earth does this woman come up with this
You should research the law, it does not affect a motorcycle driver negatively. It states only that the driver should have special training and a permit in order to ride with a passenger. They are definitely blaming the driver, they know it... was his fault. Obviously it's different riding with a passenger bc of shifting of weight etc. All that Malorie's parents and friends me being one of them want is to save future lives. Hoping that motorcycle drivers will be more efficiently trained to ride the motorcycles. They are not trying to outlaw them. And if the boy that she was riding with had been appropriately trained, then yes she may still be alive!

has anyone posted this on Motohouston?
Those guys may get out of hand, but I bet they send some letters too

I sent this over to Rod Ryan, morning radio DJ (the BUZZ) and two-wheeler. Probably won't make the airwaves but at least he might join in the fight personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back