• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HB 2470 - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

I dont see what all the noise is about , The original post list two paragraphs of a bill that dont seem to be of any controversy , Paragraph 1 defines a sport bike , maybe somebody needs to know . I dont see anything about making them illegal . Paragraph 2 makes it illegal for 2 inexperienced kids to be on the bike at the same time , I would say thats a pretty good idea . SEYA

I dont see what all the noise is about , The original post list two paragraphs of a bill that dont seem to be of any controversy , Paragraph 1 defines a sport bike , maybe somebody needs to know . I dont see anything about making them illegal . Paragraph 2 makes it illegal for 2 inexperienced kids to be on the bike at the same time , I would say thats a pretty good idea . SEYA

I think it's a good idea to ban cell phones from cars or disable them when the vehicle is moving. I would bet more riders have been killed by cell phone users than inexperienced kids on powerful bikes. But no one is writing that into law yet.

The whole premise here is, this law is discriminating against one type of bike and just like the "no cell phones in school zone" law, very hard to enforce and actually does no good. Yes, let's protect the children in school zones but disregard everyone else on the road?

As was stated earlier, what happened to personal responsibility? When will we stop making laws to "protect the children" and make people responsible for their actions? A parent can run down the road at 80mph with their baby in their lap and the most they'll get is a Class C misdemeanor ticket yet they've endangered their child more than an inexperienced kid on a sport bike with a kid on the back that didn't think before throwing a leg over the back seat. The young lady killed in this accident was an adult who made a choice on her own free will. A child in a lousy parent's lap doesn't have that choice.

Sorry, I've seen more kids thrown through windshields when they didn't ask to be there than I've seen kids thrown off the back of a sport bike that didn't ask to be there.

Maybe I can get Malorie's mom to pay her elected offical to write a law that makes transporting your child unsecured in the car a felony.

Here's what I posted on their wall:
1TallTXn said:
Hello everyone,
I think that the efforts put behind this law would be much better suited being put into encouraging education and training instead of behind a, at best, unenforceable law.
I've showed the proposed law to several of my Peace Officer friends and while they like the thought behind it, they have serious concerns about its enforceability.
The definitions for what types of bikes are covered are vague and discriminatory.
The things that could be used for enforcement would require harassment to even check for.
Thank you for trying to make passengers safer, thats a very laudable cause. My concern is that this law is going to cause trouble.
I am sincerely sorry for your loss. May God bless you as you heal.
I'm starting the timer to see how long it takes to get deleted for being "hateful" :lol2:

Never mind. I've done all I can do, I'm done.

Last edited:

I just sent a message to Rep Larry Phillips (Sherman) regarding my distaste for his bill.

The funny thing is, her parents are not accepting any responsibility at all for this. If this was my daughter and some kid came over on a bike to take her for a ride. There would be some ground rules set. There would have to be every piece of gear for both before she ever put a leg over that bike. And before he ever started that engine, I would let him know they are holding a prison cell for me just in case you harm one hair on her head!!! It is the responsibility of the parents to know what their children are doing and what type of people they are with. For me personally, if a kid came over on a bike to pick her up in Dallas, TX I would say sorry buddy she is not getting on with you!!!!

This is Typical American mentality these days, it is never my fault, it is always someone else and they are going to pay for it.

Just because you have an endorsement does not mean you know what you are doing. We have seen this many times where a new rider gets into trouble and gets killed or hurt badly.

Just like Drinking and driving, it has not stopped anything. And of course the guy drinking is never responsible, it is the Bar-tenders fault and kept serving him. When will we as a nation start accepting responsibility for our own actions?

Todd

The way I see it, there is already a law in place for the actions that took her life - Negligence by the pilot leading to injury or death. If it was not negligence, then it was an accident and by definition it could not have been avoided by simply having a law on the books.

If the guy was negligent, go after him. If he wansn't (and no other vehicle was involved that was negligent) then it's an accident with tragic results.

Most (non bike) people think my Strom is a sportbike. I ride with an underage passenger all the time (she's 10 years old). Will I be pulled over every time LEO sees me so they can ask to see a copy of my MSF certificate to ensure it's more than two years old? What a huge waste of my time and the officer's time!

Just a reminder that all emails and calls to your elected officials need to be sent to your Texas SENATORS. Too late to do anything on the House side.

...and this is what we're up against...

....ghod help us.

LOL, that's awesome!! By all means, let these morons waste time e-mailing Federal government about state laws. :rofl::rofl:

This is a truly unfortunate event. I want to know if the state has pressed any charges on the driver of the motorcycle. I also think the family has become nothing more than a pawn to help push someone's bad law thru the system. Put her name on it and she will be remebered forever that's all they can see.

I would be for something more along the lines with the way Europe handles their motorcycles. You have to grow up with your bike. Small cc for starters and work your way up. It's unfortunate that we all didn't learn to ride as kids.

I'm sure everyone on here has a story from a close friend or just someone you know that something like this has happened to and not on a sportbike. My aunts best friend was killed the same way in the early 70's. She won't even discuss motorcycles, and here I am on one everyday.

yeah, because Mr. Midlifecrisis who goes out and buys an 800 Harley know exactly what he's doing. After all, he is wearing a bandanna, that makes him an expert. And his passenger is so much safer too :rollseyes:

I have worked more wrecks with this scenario than sport bikes...

When my daughter was flown to ER after having a wreck behind a kid with NO license. My thought never went to creating a law...The laws exist to deal with the situations. But Laws do not fix BAD CHOICES:deal: Don't get me wrong, my wife and I were mad as **** at the boy driving the bike. HE lied about how it happened left the scene before DPS got there and I know he had been drinking. But he was my daughters friend and she chose not bear a grudge or push the issue:doh: She knew better but in the moment relented and rode on his "new bike"...And she was the one that preached at me the bikes are dangerous and never wanted to ride them:giveup: We were lucky, our daughter lived but will bear scars of the wreck forever, but the surgeon did a great job. It is real hard to be calm when your daughters head is cracked open and you can see her brain:eek2:

Posted to supermotojunkie and thumpertalk.

Just a reminder that all emails and calls to your elected officials need to be sent to your Texas SENATORS. Too late to do anything on the House side.

I still emailed my House reps after I emailed my senator to let them know how unhappy I was that the bill made it though virtually unopposed. I let them know I'd seriously be considering other names on the ballet next election.

schrec said:
Do you think we could do without the bashing of the cruiser riders? I ride a cruiser and I am just as much against this bill as any of you are. But the more I read the cruiser/harley bashing in these posts it may change my mind. This discussion would not even be happening if it wasn't for a sportbike rider getting in an accident and killing this girl in the first place.

:tab Just as not ALL sportbike riders are mindless squids, not ALL cruiser riders are beer drinking bar hopping idiots. That said, there are certainly too many of both categories of riders... I think the discrimination gripe is that only one would be singled out when BOTH are dangerous. I do not think the intent was to label ALL cruiser riders in such a manner.

Tourmeister is absolutely correct. Schrec, I sincerely apologize that my comment came across as cruiser bashing, that was not the intent.

I like cruisers, and some of my closest friends and riding buddies ride them. Heck, I even own a small cruiser. :) My point was that irresponsible riders of all types of motorcycles are endangering passengers with inappropriate behavior. To focus on only one type of motorcycle because that's what hit closest to home is unfair.

Because her boyfriend was riding a sport bike, they are the villain here. Had she died while on the back of a cruiser, the bill would be going after cruisers instead, and I would still be emailing my Senator and telling everyone I know how wrong this bill was.

I just sent a message to Rep Larry Phillips (Sherman) regarding my distaste for his bill.

What sucks about this guy is, he also authored a bill for the Motorcycle Awareness program of erecting red crosses at locations where riders have been killed (HB 2469) . The guy heading it up is Mike Groves, a major supporter of the Patriot Guard. I'll try to get in touch with Mike and see if he can talk some sense into this rep. :doh:

It was deleted. Not sure of the exact time it was dropped though.
Talk about tolerance :rolleyes:

stupid laws, seems to be a popular pastime for lawmakers.

What was deleted?

I agree that this is a very misguided act on the family's part and all that. I also agree with what others have said about leaving the family alone and focus on our Senators.

All we're doing by writing on their wall is creating an appearance of us vs. them. I know what we're doing is trying to educate and hope to change their mind, but obviously we can not. What will come of this is making the motorcycling community look bad to those who are ignorant of the realities of riding. We can't change their minds and I can see how they would take some of the comments as personal attacks. They're trying to find some good in their daughter's senseless death. We are trying to prevent the way they are trying to do it. They see that as evil and I get that.

To get my support, change the proposed law to apply to all new riders regardless of what bike they're on. Lose the silly handhold requirement.

This can easily be accomplished as a prereq for getting your license (some claim it already is). Stiffen the penalty for riding without proper licensing.

My heart does go out to the family and I understand that they want something good to come out of their loss, as I'm sure most of you do as well. I wish they'd focus their energy into something more likely to succeed in preventing motorcycle-related fatalities.

Even if the two year rule applied to all bike types, it would still be unenforceable. There's no way for an officer to determine the age of an 'M' endorsement in the field.

To make it enforceable would mean a more complicated and expensive licensing system. Then, any time a motorcyclist carried a pillion rider, that'd be just another excuse for police scrutiny.

Everything about this law is bad, it's just the discriminatory aspects which are most offensive.

Last edited:

What's also interesting is, the same State Rep. (Phillips) also introduced HB2469, for the placement of red crosses at motorcycle accident sites. Is it possible these two bills are moving hand in hand running cover for each other?

Scheduled for Public Hearing on May 16th.
http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/TX/HB2469

What's also interesting is, the same State Rep. (Phillips) also introduced HB2469, for the placement of red crosses at motorcycle accident sites. Is it possible these two bills are moving hand in hand running cover for each other?

Scheduled for Public Hearing on May 16th.
http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/TX/HB2469

I read through all of this guy's bills from the current session, and he is the epitome of a "feel-good" legislator. Most of his efforts are done to create perceptions, not to actually produce beneficial results.

Near as I can figure from this session alone, he needs to be voted out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back