• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HD Pan Am fly n ride

pdef

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
I purchased a Harley Pan America from a fellow on the ADV rider forum. He is in Pensacola and I am in New Braunfels. A whole lot of I-10, but there are worse things in life. I coordinated a fly and ride for this past weekend (12/3/21).

Flew out of San Antonio at 5am. I paid extra for a front row window seat as I like to loot at the geography. No luck today as it was all fog until Mobile. Landed in Pensacola, the seller, Keith, picked me up, and we had a nice conversation on the way to his place near Eglin AFB. The bike looks great and everything checks out. We do the paperwork and I begin my journey. I get a couple miles down the road and the bike won't go past 4k rpm. I then notice a check engine light. Damnit Harley! I call Keith and he offers to come pick me up and undo the deal. Nah, lets just work this out. One really nice thing about the Pan Am is accessing diagnostics without a need for a GS911 or equivalent. The code is an ECM code for camshaft rear intake over-retarding. I just cleared the code and continued on. Now I am on the highway and the CEL is gone so I can really open it up. All of the reviews of the bike gush over the motor. They were all true. What a beast! This is a Harley?

I wanted to head west on I-10 and go through the tunnel under Mobile. That done, I decided to stay on I-10 until Louisiana. My plan is to visit Abita Brewpub and then find a hotel. No hotels were available in the Covington or Abita Springs area so I head west to Baton Rouge. I get a room and fall asleep at 8pm.

Next morning, I decided to once again just take I-10 until Beaumont. Then I called a friend in College Station to see if he is at home. I head north to Highway 105 to Montgomery. I want to see the old King's Cafe location, ride the forest, and just revisit old stomping grounds. What a change the last ten years have brought to Montgomery county! The place was packed. 149 was very busy and didn't thin out until I was approaching Anderson. At least FM3090 was still great. I meet my friend at BJ's Brewhouse in College Station and enjoy a much needed hefeweizen and some nachos. After visiting awhile I decided to stay for an overnight visit. This would also allow me to take the scenic route back west and not feel rushed by daylight hours.

Sunday late morning I head out. When I was at school at TAMU, I loved riding the forest and visiting with TWTEX folk at King's, but my favorite roads were due west toward Burton, Lake Somerville, Round Top, and La Grange. This morning was just a fantastic ride with perfect weather and low traffic. It felt like reuniting with an old friend to be back on these roads again for the first time in 12-13 years. A few side stops in High Hill and Flatonia, and then it was I-10 once again to Seguin. The San Antonio traffic begins to pick up at this point, but I am almost home.

The Pan Am is a great travel companion. The motor and chassis are very well done. I am enjoying the bike and looking forward to more trips in the future.
IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

I haven't heard from a Pan Am owner yet that didn't like the bike, so why did the original owner sell it?

Love the color. With Mosko Bags you were set, too.

Fly n rides are the best ways to buy a motorcycle. Your first ride is your first adventure.

Loved the photos of the same place through the years. I enjoy seeing how things change... but stay the same.

Well, after reading - on various MC forums - a year's worth of attacks against the Pan America by people who probably hadn't seen one, much less ridden one, it's good to hear from somebody who just put a couple of hard travel days on one. I'm glad you like it, and that it meets your expectations.

I'm not a Harley guy. But I wish nothing but the best for them as a brand and as an American manufacturer. I hope the Pan America has the mojo to open doors to new markets.

Thanks for the report. Great pictures, by the way.

Congrats on the new bike, scary about the error code dealio. Looks like NB has a nice HD dealership though in case it needs anything.

Glad to hear it was smooth sailing after that. Also curious why the guy sold it as well.

Now that you have a bike in NB, we should do some riding sometime.

Well, after reading - on various MC forums - a year's worth of attacks against the Pan America by people who probably hadn't seen one, much less ridden one, it's good to hear from somebody who just put a couple of hard travel days on one.
When I was out in California a bunch of the FJR folks ran by the HD testing including off road section for these. They all came back with glowing reviews of them.

I haven't heard from a Pan Am owner yet that didn't like the bike, so why did the original owner sell it?

Upcoming medical expenses.

I agree. Before this year I had concerns about doing but purchased 2 bikes this way during 2021. The best part was making a personal connection with the sellers.

Agreed. I started off feeling like a bit of a jerk for getting a good deal from someone who is falling on some hard times. After spending a couple hours with the seller, I feel like a I have a new friend in Florida.

Well, after reading - on various MC forums - a year's worth of attacks against the Pan America by people who probably hadn't seen one, much less ridden one, it's good to hear from somebody who just put a couple of hard travel days on one. I'm glad you like it, and that it meets your expectations.

I'm not a Harley guy. But I wish nothing but the best for them as a brand and as an American manufacturer. I hope the Pan America has the mojo to open doors to new markets.

Thanks for the report. Great pictures, by the way.

I was initially looking for a GS. One of the nice things about being closer to San Antonio is that there is actually a local BMW dealer, as opposed to when I lived in Corpus. That said, I still have to drive past three Harley dealers to get to the BMW one. When I watched the reviews, most said something to the effect of it is a good first effort. I thought that was an underhanded compliment, but now I understand. I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel as polished as the GS. The location and style of the kickstand is one thing that stands out. It is forward of the shift pedal like a cruiser. It works fine, just doesn't feel natural.

I hope that this motor makes it into more "normal" bikes. It could do very well in a touring bike. HD just announced a recall on the passenger grab rail being flimsy. The recall shows about 3,000 affected bikes. That's not huge sales numbers compared to their big twins, but should show enthusiasm, especially in a year where production was challenged.

Congrats on the new bike, scary about the error code dealio. Looks like NB has a nice HD dealership though in case it needs anything.

Glad to hear it was smooth sailing after that. Also curious why the guy sold it as well.

Now that you have a bike in NB, we should do some riding sometime.

I visited Gruene Harley today. Very friendly guys. Still have a huge Buell sign when you walk into the service department. I bought a few quarts of amsoil and gave them my info to call when the grab rail recall part is available. I am ready for a ride and will try to make a bike night.

Curious, does yours have the auto height adjust for when you pull up to stop lights?

Curious, does yours have the auto height adjust for when you pull up to stop lights?
Yes, that is the only way I could ride it. I am 5'7" so I was also looking for a factory low GS. On the Pan Am, I can flat foot both feet when cold. When hot, I have to stick my right leg out a bit so its not quite flat.

The code is an ECM code for camshaft rear intake over-retarding.

Several folks have had this, in all cases it seems to be some faulty/loose wiring. Let the dealer take a look and they can fix you up.

On the PA, congratulations. You're lucky, this one already has the upgraded bash plate. If it doesn't have the radiator grill, I would order one of those at least two folks have posted up on other forums that rocks on the highway have caused holes in that which caused them to call tow trucks. :(

For those curious, I've had my PA since late summer. My first ever HD logo'd product. I did have a Buell Ulysses which was probably the best bike I ever owned... nah, my BMW GSA, but only because of its versatility. I should do a proper review of what I think of it...

Rode one at the IMS show in Fort Worth and came away VERY impressed. For the first time ever I can see myself considering a Harley when the time comes to replace my current bike.

I love the fly-and-ride stories. Had a couple folks buy my bikes and do the same. Always made me happy to see people so enthusiastic about your bike.

Congrats.

In 2014 I sold my 13 KLR to a fellow from Florida. Flew up to Anchorage and ride it home. Fast forward to 2017 and I finish servicing an F800GSA with FL plates and guy looks familiar. This is in Fairbanks. I asked him if he bought a KLR in Anchorage. He said he got a killer deal and sold it for more when he got home. He didn’t recognize me.

Good to see a nice report, photos, first trip, etc. Congratulations.

I have yet to see my first Pan America in the wild...or even in the flesh.

Back