• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

He Affected Most of Us

Yes, indeed, he did. How many of us have arrived after riding through a frog strangler only to find ourselves nice and dry?

Not me!
I have an almost perfect record of thinking I can outrun a t-storm or simply waiting too long to stop and suit up.

The world is definitely a better place because of his invention! It is hard to fathom just how widespread the impact has been! :shock: It's right up there with Velcro.

I kept my feet dry on many a mountain hike because of Gore Tex boots.

But Gore profoundly affected things that most people wouldn't know about. About 25 years ago, he had the crazy idea of coating guitar strings with Gore Tex, and Elixir strings were born. Musicians either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. The coating not only makes my hands move easily along the string with no grab or squeak, it also roughly quadruples their life. I've been using Elixir strings on all my acoustics since the late 90s. Every now & then, I have a hankering to go back to a conventional string, and quickly remember why I like Elixirs so much. There are half a dozen coated-string competitors on the market now, but Elixir did it first, and they did it with Gore Tex.

I kept my feet dry on many a mountain hike because of Gore Tex boots.

But Gore profoundly affected things that most people wouldn't know about. About 25 years ago, he had the crazy idea of coating guitar strings with Gore Tex, and Elixir strings were born. Musicians either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. The coating not only makes my hands move easily along the string with no grab or squeak, it also roughly quadruples their life. I've been using Elixir strings on all my acoustics since the late 90s. Every now & then, I have a hankering to go back to a conventional string, and quickly remember why I like Elixirs so much. There are half a dozen coated-string competitors on the market now, but Elixir did it first, and they did it with Gore Tex.
They do it better than the others as well. Many others have coatings that flake off. I've been using their Nanoweb Bronze strings on my acoustic-electric since they came out. Less squeak and no bronze corrosion issues. A couple of my pure electrics use them too but not all. Some are for prog rock where my hand moves a lot and fast so I want the squeak reduced. Pure, good old fashioned rock, I still use nickels.

Ever since the Gore-tex got bonded to fabric, I'd been even happier. I'd been through cat 3 hurricanes all day long and stayed dry in my Rukkas and been in complete control because of less bulk that would normally make it uncomfortable to move in if it were an added liner.

Of course, it's so good that I've had both Alpinestars SMX-Gore boots fill up and stay filled up when my old Roadcrafter zipper leaked.

Back