• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading east

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m leaving Waco heading east to NC on the 29th at 0800. I will be superslabbing it outbound and plan to spend the night in Aniston, AL then continuing to NC the next day. Just a crap ton of riding. If anyone is heading down IH20 during that period and feels like some company give me a shout. Failing that it’s going to be a boring trip out. The trip home will be entirely different. I have no fixed plans coming home so I’m going to just dawdle around and see what I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once on a trip to NC I tried to find as many ferry crossings of rivers that I could pack into the return route, just to make it interesting. IIRC I found five I wanted to float on.

The trip was broadsided by a massive storm front that brought torrential rains, tornadoes, and road flooding that resulted in many of my planned ferry rides (and road routes) being closed on or near the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and the Peel ferry in Arkansas. I'll have to go back and try again some day.

Have fun!

Wow. That’s so cool. I’ve seen ferry’s in Alaska but I didn’t think we had any here in the 48. I gotta check it out sometime. Which was your favorite?

Wow. That’s so cool. I’ve seen ferry’s in Alaska but I didn’t think we had any here in the 48. I gotta check it out sometime. Which was your favorite?

Because of the weather I only rode two, one from W Virginia (I think) into Ohio, and another from Ohio into Kentucky. Any ferry will be a favorite at the time.

Here in Texas I'd say my fave is the one from Galveston to Bolivar, though the Lynchburg ferry by the San Jacinto Battleground has a lot of sight-seeing opportunities nearby. Port Aransas is another choice in Texas.

The ferry idea appeals to me. This I shall research while I’m in NC. I always enjoy the port A ferry, even though it’s two minutes long haha.

As for Dallas, thanks for the offer. I shall be avoiding Dallas though.

Halfway there. I’m in Aniston AL. Got two very light and very much appreciated showers on the way one in MS and the other in AL.
May have overtaxed myself on day one. I’m exhausted.

Be safe and Hydrate! You sure have not missed much here in Texas unless you like frying an egg on the sidewalk.

Not sure where in NC you are right now but when you start to head home there are so many options for "fun" roads in the northwest corner of NC heading towards TN.

if your looking for ideas as you dawdle, I will be riding the Blue Ridge Parkway down from VA to the Cherohala Skyway the week of labor day. I am looking forward to the area around "Little Switzerland" and hwy NC 215.

I’m actually just 15 minutes from New Bern. Just ate dinner there in fact.
I have not really planned anything for the route home yet but I do want to hit NE Arkansas on the way home. Maybe spend the night at our family farm near Waldron.
The saving grace yesterday was the temperature stayed decent, 98 was the high. Mostly cooler though. My GPS saves my soul. I was riding purely interstates for almost two solid days and it sucked. My GPS decided it was going to be kind and after a few miles on I 95 it put me off on some farm roads all the way to cherry point. It was beautiful, twisty and encumbered by slow traffic too. Highly enjoyable.

Ok. So after some thought I am heading home via Savannah, Mobile, New Orleans route. Just going to scoot down the coast for the next few days. Hopefully there will be a few cooling showers.

Ok. So after some thought I am heading home via Savannah, Mobile, New Orleans route. Just going to scoot down the coast for the next few days. Hopefully there will be a few cooling showers.

Having driven Houston to El Paso several times in life, I swear I-10 from just west of Jacksonville all the way to Pensacola is the most boring stretch every. When are you heading back?

Having driven Houston to El Paso several times in life, I swear I-10 from just west of Jacksonville all the way to Pensacola is the most boring stretch every. When are you heading back?

Leaving tomorrow morning.
I have everything set to stay off the interstates on the way home. Had enough of that horrible crap on the way out here.

The ferry idea appeals to me. This I shall research while I’m in NC. I always enjoy the port A ferry, even though it’s two minutes long haha.

As for Dallas, thanks for the offer. I shall be avoiding Dallas though.

If you want ferries, you should do the outer banks. There are two there. The one on the southern side is over 2 hours long. If it's not busy, it wouldn't be a bad trip. There is also a pretty cool ferry in Mobile, AL. It runs from Dauphin Island to Fort Morgan. Makes a good alternative to I-10.

We had a funny experience at the Port Aransas ferry. We got there, started to take our helmets off, and the guy says, "you may want to keep them on, it gets pretty rough out in the middle!" We thought the ferry went around the bend. It didn't. It was about 2 or 3 hundred yards and nothing was rough. Hahaha.

If you want ferries, you should do the outer banks. There are two there. The one on the southern side is over 2 hours long. If it's not busy, it wouldn't be a bad trip. There is also a pretty cool ferry in Mobile, AL. It runs from Dauphin Island to Fort Morgan. Makes a good alternative to I-10.

We had a funny experience at the Port Aransas ferry. We got there, started to take our helmets off, and the guy says, "you may want to keep them on, it gets pretty rough out in the middle!" We thought the ferry went around the bend. It didn't. It was about 2 or 3 hundred yards and nothing was rough. Hahaha.

Can’t do the outer banks ferry, although I think it would be great. Would mean driving four hours north and I don’t have the time. I have ridden all over that area in the past. Just haven’t been able to try the ferry.

84fa05c6d43b39ab26e698ef0509855e.jpg

The view in New Bern on the way out of town. Kind of nice.

edc803426eb9b7618a28f8dd5f8d3f44.jpg

Savannah, historic district. Pretty but not as much fun as I thought it would be.

Savannah is on my list for sure sure as well is Hilton Head. Just haven't made time to run up there yet. I feel for you today though as the heat index was one of the worst for the year over here, can't imagine it much better 3.5 hours north.

Stay hydrated!

Savannah is on my list for sure sure as well is Hilton Head. Just haven't made time to run up there yet. I feel for you today though as the heat index was one of the worst for the year over here, can't imagine it much better 3.5 hours north.

Stay hydrated!

I think Savannah would be fun to spend a couple of days and take all the tourist tours and maybe chase some of the midnight in the garden of good and evil stuff. For a quick stop in I wasn’t impressed. Hard even to find a place to eat. But it really seems to be a cool town.

b3a72fc5900291945306837229b1694b.jpg

Did Savannah to New Orleans today. Stopped off for a gawk in Mobile and spotted these.

Currently camped out in a motel in New Orleans. Six pack of Stella and a good meal in me. This ride home tomorrow will be great!!

Nice find, Those new Hi Tech coastal craft LCS 4. ( jet powered littoral combat ship...about 50mph). Hopefully you had a nice cool hotel Room friday

Nice find, Those new Hi Tech coastal craft LCS 4. ( jet powered littoral combat ship...about 50mph). Hopefully you had a nice cool hotel Room friday

Yep. Brand new Holiday Inn Express, very nice.

Back