• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading east

Ok. Final mile count was 2944. Traveling in the time of Covid was different. The majority of the fun human interfaces that I am so used to while touring on the bike have vanished. A good example is gas pump conversations. This trip I had two. One in Florida with an elderly black man at an out of the way gas station. The other was in Orange TX. With, amazingly enough, another Floridian. Go Florida! The usual southern friendly demeanor seems to have just gone for now.
I passed through Lake Charles, it got the crap kicked out of it. There is an obvious swath of destruction for about 35 miles west of Lake Charles all the way through Orange. Massive trees just snapped in half, houses leveled. There are utility construction vehicles from as far as Alabama Power and light to tons of private contractors everywhere trying to get power back on. There are semis loaded with creosoted power poles stinking up the highways, all heading for that area. Hopefully they get back to normal there as soon as possible. It has to be tough.
On the funny side in the Atchafalaya basin area it’s totally flooded....there is also the highest concentration of Cajuns out in their boats fishing that I have ever seen. Talk about making lemonade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back