• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading out tomorrow.

IMG_20200913_150515913.jpg

Bryce

Did you go to Zion? I think I'm going to stop there next week on my GS Rescue ride.

We did Bryce in a car this June and 12 is calling my name on the bike. Also 9 looks great on the map.

Did you go to Zion? I think I'm going to stop there next week on my GS Rescue ride.

We did Bryce in a car this June and 12 is calling my name on the bike. Also 9 looks great on the map.
I drove through Zion. You have to get a pass to ride the shuttle into the main canyon. Only 14 people allowed on the shuttle. I drove through because I've been there many times. If you have not, you should go into the main canyon and hike the Narrows and Angel's landing. You will probably need at least 1 hiking pole for the Narrows, according to how high the water is.

Ophir has gotten tough. I had street gearing and I doubt I could have ridden west to east without changing the front sprocket. Harder than Black Bear the last time I rode it.
That comment just made me happy because "if Denny thought it was tough...."

My bike napped once on a switchback on the way up (east to west) in July/August. Prettiest views at the top, though.

I did Ophir 2018 on the WR250R eastbound. I didn’t attempt this year.

While talking to an professional driver for one of these tourist truck companies (Ford F250 long bed with 9 seats in the bed) this August he said every year these mountain passes get a little bit tougher.

I did Ophir 2018 on the WR250R eastbound. I didn’t attempt this year.

While talking to an professional driver for one of these tourist truck companies (Ford F250 long bed with 9 seats in the bed) this August he said every year these mountain passes get a little bit tougher.
They do. In 1992 I did Engineer and Cinnamon on a Seca 650. That would be a shaft drive sport tourer today. I did bang up the exhaust so badly it had to be replaced.

Ophir has gotten tough. I had street gearing and I doubt I could have ridden west to east without changing the front sprocket. Harder than Black Bear the last time I rode it.

When were there in July 2018, we talked to some guys staying at our hotel that had done it on KTM 690s and they had a hard time of it. The scree field section in particular was just really rough. We opted to head a bit further south and do Barlow Creek Rd over Bolam Pass which drops out to Hermosa Creek and eventually US 550 South of Silverton. Just North of where we dropped out on 550, we did Lime Creek Rd., which I had never done before. It wasn't real technical, but it was a really cool road with neat shelf sections overlooking Lime Creek.

When were there in July 2018, we talked to some guys staying at our hotel that had done it on KTM 690s and they had a hard time of it. The scree field section in particular was just really rough. We opted to head a bit further south and do Barlow Creek Rd over Bolam Pass which drops out to Hermosa Creek and eventually US 550 South of Silverton. Just North of where we dropped out on 550, we did Lime Creek Rd., which I had never done before. It wasn't real technical, but it was a really cool road with neat shelf sections overlooking Lime Creek.

I did Bolam too. And did it in a Jeep this June as well. It too is getting worse each year. In 2018 I rode it on the WR and then rode Ophir back (I was staying near the Purgatory ski area). Then I did Bolam again this year and the road was much rougher than I remember it being. Poor memory or degrading road? It is a very scenic road.

I did Bolam too. And did it in a Jeep this June as well. It too is getting worse each year. In 2018 I rode it on the WR and then rode Ophir back (I was staying near the Purgatory ski area). Then I did Bolam again this year and the road was much rougher than I remember it being. Poor memory or degrading road? It is a very scenic road.
Road,age, stamina all degrading. The oy thing getting better is the bikes.

2 weeks ago, Cinnamon &California weren’t too bad on my 1190 & friend’s GSA. I came down Ophir to Ophir. It was a handful.

I changed my oil in a parking lot this morning. I'm missing a sidecover bolt, rear rack bolt, and both forks have leaked out their oil. Also, my handle bars are self centering, probably because of stutter bumps and big rocks on Ophir, Cinnamon and Engineer passes. I see lots of maintenance in my near future.

If you need bits and pieces, there is a decent dealership in Montrose on the East end of town on US 50. It is a multibrand dealer.

Actually Scott, the right one started leaking on the first day of the trip and then stopped. It started again about a month ago and then the left side joined it a day or two later. I'm in Arizona for a couple of days then I'm heading back home by way of 191, 152, and 78. The Left one is out of oil now and I've been cleaning and scuffing the brake pads regularly. I've seen what it looks like in a motel parking lot when I changed tires and oil and I wouldn't subject any parking lot to a fork rebuild. I should be able to make it home. If not, Linda has been encouraging me to just get a new bike.
IMG_20200919_062357680.jpg

You bet I’d pay $3. That’s the face of a guy out enjoying life. I’d be interested in what he had to say.

Back