• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Headlight Cover Restoration

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
The headlight covers on my '07 Grand Cherokee are getting pretty nasty. I tried one of those $12 kits from Walmart last fall. They looked a little better for a couple of days, then went back to the way they were, with no discernible difference. So my two questions are:
  1. Can anybody suggest a good way to clean up those plastic light covers well and properly? Either a product or an effective technique? And
  2. What the heck is that rough stuff that builds up on them, anyway?
Inquiring minds want to know.

We took ours to a fast lube and they did it for 40 bucks. It will last a few years.

I have an '08 Tacoma that I'll probably never sell. I tried a polishing kit and didn't care for the results. Bought a pair of factory knockoffs on Amazon and the reflectors were garbage. $100+ down the drain. Then I bit the bullet and got a pair of OEMs and ,while expensive, I have no regrets. I quess it depends on how long you intend to keep the Jeep.

Good luck

This and it works or at least until the sun damages the plastic again.

You will be using a drill, modulate the speed or set the trigger lock screw to keep the rpms at a set speed, to sand off the nasty plastic (I know, scary to do this but it works). You will do this a few times with the last being a polish you apply with the pad attached to the drill. The drill does all the work, no elbow grease needed. Your headlights will look great for a couple of years.

Looks like 3M changed their packaging.

PDF instructions, not as complicated as the instructions make it look, post before and after photos. The girl in the photo did mine and her cars.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...it/39008/4462929?q=3m&***=1&manufacturer=true

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I used the "Wipe On" kit from Walmart for about $9 on my Wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. The old ones were very opaque. I was extremely careful to follow the directions exactly. They turned out Crystal clear and are still that way, and I treated them in October. She has driven it for over a month in Minnesota (November and half of December) and put almost 3000 miles on it. I am 100% satisfied with it.

Back