• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Head's Up on a Great Little Cafe

Hey guys

Found a GREAT home cooking place called Sissy's Saddle Shop Cafe' outside of Cameron, Texas. It's just out of town on a farm, and used to be the owner's father's saddle shop.

She makes home-cooked food - just like mom's :eat:. Day I was there the special was 2 huge pieces of home-made meatloaf, fresh green bean casserole, hand mashed new potatoes, squash, homemade bread, huge glass of tea and choice of three desserts for about $9. Finishing it all took years off my life but it was worth it :lol2:

Burgers and sandwiches also, as well as family style meals on Sundays.

Probably a worthy Pie Run place and she said she'd love to host one.

Check it out if you're in the area for sure - back roads around Cameron are pretty nice.

Last edited:
Sorry! She's a little east of town a mile or so...

Also found her Facebook page which has daily menus listed
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sissys-Saddle-Shop-Cafe/117958181569266

2919 CR 227 Cameron TX 76520
(254) 697-8500

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=2919+CR+227+Cameron+TX+76520&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8645afd08b20094d:0xf52dbc18d662cf5c,County+Road+227,+Cameron,+TX+76520&gl=us&ei=_UjZTpOEIMX02QW59cjgAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

BTW there's a cool old iron bridge near her place where CR 227 crosses the river, with cactus growing on it if you come in from that side

Last edited:
Are there a couple of old churches close by?
Jeff I'm not sure but I may have seen one or two on the way out from her place... have you been there before?

The back roads around there have some pretty nice rolling terrain and vistas but the main roads aren't anything special. In the general area between there and Bryan/College Station I've come across a lot of the old small abandoned towns and old farmhouses, etc.

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Haven't been that way before. The map I looked at has some good details and showed the icon for a church. Also book marked and will have to go that way for lunch. About 130 or miles from Casa del Jeff.

Last edited:
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
When I saw the name Cameron, my eyes lit up. (Not to be confused with Cameron, Louisiana. ) I know I've been through that place before and then saw the map with US 190 going though there. How about some co ords for the cafe location. I use US 190 once in awhile just for a different route going though Texas. Love spending the nights about in the Brownwood area. Always looking for Mom and Pop Cafe's and Motels.

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
What are you doin' so far east?
Trying to replace the 650 in the next 2 weeks, so I'll be ready to go there by spring.
Stop by on your way.
Tom

When I saw the name Cameron, my eyes lit up. (Not to be confused with Cameron, Louisiana. ) I know I've been through that place before and then saw the map with US 190 going though there. How about some co ords for the cafe location. I use US 190 once in awhile just for a different route going though Texas. Love spending the nights about in the Brownwood area. Always looking for Mom and Pop Cafe's and Motels.
Hey man! I updated the maps showing the location exactly as well as her place from outer space

Intersection of CR 227 and CR 229... the way I found it was by asking the locals - you know "well, you head out that street where the school is until you pass a stop sign. You keep straight until another stop sign and then when the road bends a little keep on it til you come to another road. Just keep left and you'll pass the Hansen's place but don't turn there. Go a little further and you'll find it but don't turn right. Wait, 'Marge! Marge! Does he turn right or left??? Left? OK just stay left..." :lol2:

TexTomas - I had to do some work in their courthouse and of course had to ask where the best food was :lol:
Sooo glad you're healing up and looking forward to hooking up again to ride. Gonna replace the GS with the same?

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Yes, gonna replace with same thing, same year, same color. Hopefully in 10 days or so. Can't ride yet so it'll sit in the garage as inspiration. Wanna be riding again by the time the weather gets good.
Tom
Hey, come into town on a Thursday and do lunch with us at Billy's.

It's the one you don't turn at.
:lol2::lol2:

Hey Hemi Cameron is the county seat of Milam County so if you ride there you can photograph the courthouse and color in another county.

Tom, sounds great. I'm on a project during the week for a while but when I get a free Thursday will connect. Anxious to see and hear when you get the new rig :trust:

First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Okay, with your update more detailed maps, I got the co ords for just off the corner. For those that want to plug and play. N 30 51.4 W 96 55.09 should put you near to the door step. Thanks, I'll enter it in my GPS as a POI for when I go through the area. ;-)

First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
:lol2::lol2:

Hey Hemi Cameron is the county seat of Milam County so if you ride there you can photograph the courthouse and color in another county.
I keep trying to get up there but each time I've started to head that way something has come up to keep me from making the ride. Maybe next time the stars will align so I can make it for the photo and lunch.

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
First Name
Erik
Perfect, 70 miles from home and very close to one of my favorite indoor shooting ranges....Double WIN:-D Thanks you for the story, and others for adding to it.. You have given me a new destination for the wife and I to ride to...

Funny... I put the diner location in my mapping program, and hit Get directions... FROM: Current location.. thinking it was a saved location from previous use.........

:-D

But when the program said,, 7,775 miles.. and had a caution flag that I would need my passport to cross the boarder.... I knew something was wrong :giveup:

First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
I consider it a good day ride for me in the future. When I programmed it into my Zumo I was told it was about 240 somewhat miles from Jennings. But , I'm not sure what roads da Zumo was talking about. ;-) May be a two dayer the ways I like to go. ;-) I'm usually a good day from Brownwood to Jennings.

I visited Sissy's this past Saturday for the all-you-can-eat country breakfast and it was great! TWTers need to visit and bring an infantryman's appetite. I also showed Sissy and her family this thread and they really appreciate the pictures and write-up by Tin Star. Sissy serves breakfast on these huge plates and you chose what you want. When you're finished, you reorder and its made hot for you. On 21 Jan, she said she is adding 1 lb ribeyes to the menu. This a nice Texas cafe at the junction of two country roads. There is a beautiful Baptist church that is nearby also.

First Name
Debbie
Last Name
McMullen
Great find Tinstar :clap:

We had a small group try out this place and it did not disappoint. :thumb: to Rockman Tex for organizing this and to Jackintexas for leading some of us there. It's good to see you back on a bike Jack. :rider: It started out a bit chilly but it was nice to see the :sun: It's too small for a Pie Run but would be a good place for a Ride to Eat. I had the small chicken & dumplings & had to take some home. It was the yummy and very hearty. Everyone was raving about the food ..... even Hardy who got a salad.

Here are some pics from our visit yesterday:

Sissy, the owner, came out and talked to us about her place. I was busy taking pics but I did hear that difference pieces of wood of this structure are from the community.

Great find Tinstar :clap:

We had a small group try out this place and it did not disappoint. :thumb: to Rockman Tex for organizing this and to Jackintexas for leading some of us there. It's good to see you back on a bike Jack. :rider: It started out a bit chilly but it was nice to see the :sun: It's too small for a Pie Run but would be a good place for a Ride to Eat. I had the small chicken & dumplings & had to take some home. It was the yummy and very hearty. Everyone was raving about the food ..... even Hardy who got a salad.

Glad you guys got to try it out! Hey I recognize that Hardy guy from Big Bend last week lol. Hardy, that was not the place to get a salad :lol2:

Anyone not taking the time to try this place out is really missing out. Good food and wonderful people working there. This will probably be on my Sat morn breakfast ride 2-3 times a month. The owner said she can seat 52 people now and when they finish up the back area even more. We need more last minute RTE's and this place will work.

Steve

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shreeve
Thanks for the info about Sissy's. We have a group of about 25 from BMWLT.com going next week. :eat:

Be sure you know how to find the place as some of the "locals" don't even know where it is. The food is grand. If you don't see on the menu what you want, ask them if they can do it. The folks there are super fine and certanly not in a hurry to rush you out the door. One of my top five favorites. HB

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shreeve
Just got back & Man oMan was it will worth going. It rained cats & dogs so we all came in cars but it was still worth the drive. A MUST GO.

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shreeve
Be sure you know how to find the place as some of the "locals" don't even know where it is. The food is grand. If you don't see on the menu what you want, ask them if they can do it. The folks there are super fine and certanly not in a hurry to rush you out the door. One of my top five favorites. HB
I told Sissy we wanted pie & she made 2 different types. Before we left one friend bought a whole pie to take home. Sissy said she will have pie on the menu from now on.

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Sitting at Sissys using Sissy's computer. CFS with only on Saturday sausage gravy. Pics later.

First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
Oh come on Jeff, you're killing me. I'm sitting here at work wishing I was on the bike at some distant cafe.

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Tony, just for you buddy.
First was a nice salad. Gotta have those green things.
P1010713.jpg

Then CFS.
P1010714.jpg

after the attempt to finish.
P1010715.jpg

She used sausage gravy that she makes only on Saturdays for breakfast (only day breakfast is served FYI.). O....M....G..... She'll make cream gravy for those CFS purists but let me tell you....you have to go on a Saturday for the CFS. Oh yeah, $9.61 plus tip.

P1010717.jpg

I even showed her how to sign in so Sissy might be showing up. Showed her this thread and she was thrilled! Wednesdays is meatloaf day. So another trip? I think so.
:eat:

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
I ate there this week, posted in day rides.....give me a heads-up next time your going! Wonderful chicken salad, and tea like mom used to make.
Mark :sun:
Wednesdays=Meat Loaf. I'll drive a long ways for good meatloaf. And Sissy, what a great lady!

Hours during the week appear to be 11am-2pm. Gotta plan.........

Last edited:
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Oh yeah #2. If I heard Sissy right, she cooked my CFS on the flattop grill and not in a deep fryer. That was a CFS for the ages.

Ate at Sissy's again today; and she asked about hosting a future pie run? The beef tips over smashed potatoes were wonderful, as was the broccoli cheese rice, got to hear the story about the building and her restaurant.....AND Sissy said that she CRIED when she read the nice write-up on our TWT facebook page. :sun:

Liteitup

Forum Supporter
I've been twice and thinking about going again this weekend, but do you think the place is big enough for a pie run?

I've been twice and thinking about going again this weekend, but do you think the place is big enough for a pie run?
Sissy told me that she could seat 75, and would put up a tent and get chairs from the church if we needed more...:sun: She also said that all her pies would be homemade! :clap:

focus frenzy

First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
Twt Facebook page??

Guess I will have to break down and sign up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hall
Too bad the 2013 Pie Run calendar has already been set. Maybe we need to have a special bonus RTE sometime.