• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Adv Ride

Calvin which version of maps are you using in Mapsource? I have 2013 and 2009 and am not getting a lot of the details in either.

Here's a Google Earth version, as seen in Google Maps:

Link to the KML file is here and a link to the full Google Map is here.

Last edited:
I zoomed in on a few places on the GoogleMap and it looked like it missed some roads here and there, drawing straight lines between points. I've seen this before. Not sure what happens to cause it, but eventually I usually get a good save in GoogleMaps after several reviews.

Someone planning to take on some or all should go over the route in detail to modify any "as the crow flies" sections to follow roads, before loading into their GPS.

gpx coverted with gps bable

Attachments

• Heart of Tx Adv Ride.gpx
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
Very nice idea! Will certainly keep an eye on the development of this route. Hopefully it will get up to 75 dirt 25 pavement.

Calvin the section that goes down FM1991 can be done in dirt by taking Bosque County Roads 1035 to CR 4290 into Clifton. Alot more dirt can be added here:rider:

Calvin if you could get over to CR370 out of London and take it to CR372 then CR3721 back to 377 then down to Junction that sure is a Awesome loop there.

My wife's family has a ranch in HEXT near Menard and I'm planning on taking some vacation time this spring and doing some exploring up there. Anyone been there done that?

Yup. Not gonna be too many choices west. One good route outta Cleo toward Roosevelt. Good stuff East around Katemcy and the London to Teacup loop south is sweet (dirtyryder posted) , as are the routes north to San Saba and south to Llano. Of course, if ya are up for a water-y challenge on a big bike, there's always the James River Crossing. lol

Checked out part of the route Saturday.

IMG_1141-XL.jpg

Rode from Athens to Hubbard . Was a nice easy ride. Not technical at all. I found a little bit of Sand and some nice Fluffy Gravel.

Buffalo

IMG_1144-XL.jpg

Pretty country

IMG_1147-XL.jpg

IMG_1148-XL.jpg

So are you all using the "world map" included with base camp or some other map downloaded off the internet (like txtopo11.gmapi / 131-6665-txtopo11.tar downloaded from website below)?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/search/editorschoice/

The world map in base camp does not have much detail (as some mentioned above). The txtopo11 seems to have almost too much detail and does not include city names which is a pain.

Last edited:
So are you all using the "world map" included with base camp or some other map downloaded off the internet (like txtopo11.gmapi / 131-6665-txtopo11.tar downloaded from website below)?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/search/editorschoice/

The world map in base camp does not have much detail (as some mentioned above). The txtopo11 seems to have almost too much detail and does not include city names which is a pain.

If you have the updated maps on your garmin that is what you should be using on Basecamp. If you can't get the map from your GPS loaded to Basecamp you can call Garmin support and they will guide you thru it.

Back