• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Rally / RTE

I'm looking at around 430 miles. I have to work Friday, probably fairly late, so I can't get from Austin to any of the really distant start points and still sleep beforehand.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Are we sure that this is not a 9 or 10 hour rally?

My route planning is looking like this right now..... So many choices, only 8 hours to do it in...........................

crazy-road-sign1.jpg

Looks like we have the same route. LOL Love the pic.

:ponder::argh::angryfire:help::thpt::pray::shrug::headbang::rolleyes: that was a few of my emotions I went through during last year's Utah 1088 24 hour rally when the bonus list was handed out 30 minutes before the start. Once I got rolling it was :sun::rider::pirate: and ended with:eat3:.
Smilie list overload.

I'm bringing some granola bars with me because with our route, I doubt we have time to stop and eat.. rather just gas, pee and go.

I'm bringing some granola bars with me because with our route, I doubt we have time to stop and eat.. rather just gas, pee and go.

:eek2: Who said anything about stopping to pee? Just hang it to the side and make sure that I'm in front of you.:rofl::rofl:

As for :eat: the end is at the Hard 8 BBQ as far as I know. We will have to double check on this. Bad mojo to stop at the wrong finish line you know. :doh: Great BBQ there BTW.:mrgreen:

bigjnsa, I sent the map to the wrong EM :doh: I was missing a "n" I did send you a PM, hope you got it. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Its getting close fellas! This should be a really fun Rally.... Will there be food at the hotel in Brady?

The finish line will be at the Brady Inn/Best Western at the US 190/377 split on the side south of Brady. GPS: N31 06 35.6 W99 20 02.1

I have tables set up at the Hard Eight BBQ joint up the street for dinner at 1700.

Hello folks, I'm reporting from the Heart Of Texas HQ in Brady, TX and it is a beautiful day.

Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable ride tommorow.

Just got home from work, loading the bike out now, and getting ready to depart for my hotel this evening near my first bonus for in the morning.

See you at or before 14:59.59 tomorrow.

That reminds me. What time does your watch have now... 4pm or so right? :)

I am SO jealous I won't be able to participate in the HOT. It totally sucks that the day before the start, I get a flat. The wrecker finally came to my place of work at 4:30 to pick up the bike and the dealer is only open until 6pm. At least I'll have 2 fresh tires this weekend. To tell myself I *did* compete, I will probably ride my planned route on Sunday.

Just got home from work, loading the bike out now, and getting ready to depart for my hotel this evening near my first bonus for in the morning.

See you at or before 14:59.59 tomorrow.

That reminds me. What time does your watch have now... 4pm or so right? :)

I am SO jealous I won't be able to participate in the HOT. It totally sucks that the day before the start, I get a flat. The wrecker finally came to my place of work at 4:30 to pick up the bike and the dealer is only open until 6pm. At least I'll have 2 fresh tires this weekend. To tell myself I *did* compete, I will probably ride my planned route on Sunday.

Ofiical HOT Rally time is 18:36 April 30, 2010:trust:

Jer, when you get it done send your results to me and I'll tell how you did.

Be careful out there guys... This is what caused my blow out:

metal-2.jpg

I pulled this out of my rear tire. It lodged inside the rain grooves of my Dunlops. If it had entered the tread part I would been fine.

Last edited:
Will # 32 is out for ???? #12 is out for a flat and I'm (#6) out due to a need to pick up a part near Dallas and be back in San Antonio by 10P. I'll try to stop by the finish or dinner on my way back.

Took Luck to all.

aaaannnnnnddddd their off!!!!

Last edited:
Could this have been the winning ride? Possibly, even though I didn't stop to collect any bonuses and I took my sweet time, I did manage to arrive within 8 hours and thirty minutes. Yeah, I know my SPOT finish time is 15:35:33:wary:, but I did clock out at 15:29.

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5137

Right now the sky is clearing here in Brady, TX and hopefully a handful of riders are making their way around the State collecting the many bonuses in all the regions of Texas.
Here is the list of bonuses:

The information on the Bonus List will list each bonus with a number and name, GPS coordinates, directions, brief description, photograph requirement and point value.
1. Old Government Road
GPS: N30 40 41.3 W101 40 21.9
From the intersection of TX HWYs’ 349 and 290 in Sheffield, TX, travel 10.7 miles east on TX Hwy 290 to the entrance of a roadside picnic area. Enter the area and locate the Texas historical marker past the second covered picnic table.
Called the Government Road because of the frequent use by the US Army during the 1840’s-1870. This was a part of the route that linked the few outposts and forts from El Paso to San Antonio. The view is spectacular.
Photograph the Texas historical marker sign.
850 points

2. International Border RoT
GPS: N32 02 01.7 W94 02 34.6
This location is at the Texas/Louisiana border on Farm to Market 31.
In the 1840’s before Texas was to become part of the USA this marker was set up for the boundaries between the two countries.
Photograph the granite boundary inside the small fenced area.
1150 Points

3. Ozark Trail Marker
GPS: N34 28 22.3 W100 46 43.3
Located between Turkey, TX and Estelline, TX on TX Hwy 86 at the junction of FM 657. From the FM 657 and TX Hwy 86 junction on County Road 10 travel south a ¼ mile to the white obelisk identifying the Ozark Trail Marker. CR 10 is a dirt road, so you might have to walk in if the road is muddy. This is also the location of the Ghost town of Tampico.
In 1913, William Hope "Coin" Harvey, who operated a resort in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, founded the Ozark Trail Association as a private highway organization. Several Texas and New Mexico counties joined the effort, and the line went diagonally from St. Louis, Missouri to Santa Fe, New Mexico. As part of Harvey's plan, stops along the way featured white obelisks denoting, in the official Ozark Trail green lettering, town names, as well as directions and distances to other towns.
Photograph the Ozark Trail Marker looking west showing the distance to Farwell, TX.
1200 points

4. Granite Mountain.
GPS: N30 35 33.07 W98 17 56.8
At the intersection of US 281 and FM 1431 (10th street) in Marble Falls travel 2 miles west on FM 1431 to a roadside park on the right hand side of the road. Look for the pink granite monument between the picnic tables.
This is the largest granite quarry in the US at 180 acres with an 866 foot dome. Granite out of this quarry was used at the Texas State Capitol.
Photograph the pink Granite Mountain marker at the roadside park between the two covered picnic areas.
500 Points

5. Kent County Jail
GPS: N33 10 2.9 W100 45 11.18
Located in the ghost town of Clairemont, TX, just north of the TX Hwy 208/US 380 intersection.
The old jail was built in 1895 of red sandstone quarried from a feature southeast of town on the 0-0 Ranch called Treasure Butte.
700 Points

6. Starship Pegaus
GPS: N32 11 45.1 W96 53 54.6
Located off I-35E and the Italy/Ennis exit, a block south on the NE corner of Kinfolk Ln. and TX HWY 34.
This monolithic dome, once a restaurant is constructed to resemble a star-ship from Star Trek.
Photograph the Starship building.
875 Points

7. Panther Junction Fuel Receipt
GPS: N29 19 46.3 W103 12 31.9
Located inside the Big Bend National Park on Maverick Drive. Travel .2 miles west of the intersection of US 385 and Maverick Dr. to the Panther Junction gas station and convenience store.
The Big Bend National Park is one of the nation’s remotest parks. It was established in 1944 and the first National Park in Texas.
Acquire a receipt for fuel. Make sure the receipt has the correct time, date and location printed on it.
Note: A fee is required to enter the park.
1700 Points

8. Old Canadian River Bridge
GPS: N35 55 44.0 W100 22 28.4
From the intersection of US 60 and Main St. in Canadian, TX, travel .6 miles northeast on US 60 to a road that turns into a park and runs parallel with US 60. Go another .6 miles to the entrance of an old wrought iron bridge.
Built in 1916 and restored in 2000, it is known as the Canadian River Wagon Bridge.
Photograph the entrance of the old iron bridge.
1800 Points

9. Palo Pinto Telephone Booth
GPS: N32 46 04.2 W98 17 59
Located in Palo Pinto, TX on the SW corner of US 180 and 6th Ave.
The old style phone booth is close to the old Palo Pinto Café.
Photograph the old red phone booth at the corner.
600 Points

10. Rocksprings Visitor Center
GPS: N30 00 56.6 W100 12 30.5
Located in Rockspring, TX at the corner of Sweeten and Main (US 377). Go .2 miles or 3 blocks on Main St. west of the intersection of US 377 and TX HWY 55.
Rocksprings is the Edward County seat, the Wool and Mohair Center of TX.
This little town was founded in 1890’s and nearly blown away in 1927 by a killer tornado.
Photograph the Rocksprings Visitor Center front window sign.
400 Points

11. Old Baylor College
GPS: N30 19 08.3 W96 21 15.0
Located in Independence, TX .5 miles west of the intersection of FM’s 390 and 50. Travel .3 miles from the intersection of FMs’ 390 and 50 to SPUR 390, bear right on SPUR 390 .2 miles the old Baylor College columns.
The columns in Old Baylor Park in Independence mark the location where Baylor University, the oldest institution of higher learning in the State of Texas and the largest Baptist University in the world, opened its doors in 1846. Forty years later the college was moved to Waco where the present day Baylor University resides.
Photograph the Columns.
650 Points.

12. Iron Man Of Sanco
GPS: N32 00 30.9 W100 31 27.1
At the intersection of TX HWY 208 and FM 645 travel south on TX Hwy 208 28.1 miles, look for the Sanco Loop Sign. At the sign turn left onto a narrow paved road, travel 2.1 miles to an abandoned gas station this is the ghost town of Sanco, TX. Next to gas station about 100 feet to the right is a scrap iron sculpture, the Iron Man of Sanco. Settled in the 1880’s and named after a Comanche Chief. This tiny town was a cotton town until the bugs and the hard Texas weather took a toll in the early part of the twentieth century. The iron man of Sanco is made of old scrap iron and pump jack weights.
Photograph the Iron Man sculpture.
500 Points.

13. Texas Eiffel Tower
GPS: N33 38 23.4 W95 31 27.6
In Paris, TX at the intersection of S. Church (TX Hwy 19/24) and Evergreen (FM1507) turn east on Evergreen (FM1507) travel 1.7 miles to Jefferson Rd. Turn north on Jefferson Rd. and to the entrance of the Love Civic Center. South of the Civic Center is a replica of the Eiffel Tower with a cowboy hat on the top.
Only in Paris, TX would you have an Eiffel Tower with a Stetson.
Photograph the “Welcome to Paris” sign at the base of the Eiffel tower.
1025 Points.

14. Dog Town Jail
GPS: N28 27 39.9 W98 32 56.1
Located in Tilden, TX, behind the McMullen County Courthouse.
At the junction of Texas Hwy’s 16 and 72,head east on Texas Hwy 72 turn right behind the McMullen County Courthouse . The jail will be on the left from the parking area of the Courthouse.
Tilden was originally named Rio Frio in 1858 and then nicknamed Dog Town after a group of drunk cowboys massacred the towns’ dog population. In 1876 the town was renamed Tilden after the 1876 presidential runner-up Samuel Tilden.
Photograph the jail including the Texas historical medallion.
600 points

15. Shiner Brewery.
GPS: N29 25 59.8 W97 10 02.1
This bonus is located in Shiner, TX. From the intersection of Alt.US 90 (Ave. E) and TX Hwy 95 (5th St.) turn on TX Hwy 95 heading northeast travel .4 miles to Hilltop Rd. At Hilltop Rd. turn left and go to the entrance of the K. Spoetzl-Brewery.
Since 1909 the K. Spoetzl brewery has been making this Bavarian brew, Shiner.
Photograph the front of the main building making sure the name of the brewery, K. Spoetzl Brewery is included.
700 Points

16. Guadalupe National State Park
GPS: N31 53 34.57 W104 49 15.73
Located in the desolated west Texas area of the Big Bend region on US 180 9 miles north of the junction of US 180 and TX Hwy 54. Look for the signs indicating the entrance to the Park’s headquarters on the left. Locate the sign of the Guadalupe Mountains National Park with the National Forest Service emblem attached on the right hand side.
Photograph the “Guadalupe Mountains National Park” sign.
1100 Points.
Warning this location is isolated and the availability of fuel is very limited.

17. The Texas State Railroad
GPS: N31 44 54.4 W95 34 15.6
Located 2.4 miles east of Palestine on US 84.
The Texas state prison system established the railroad in 1881. Inmates built the line, which was used to transport hardwood which was used as fuel for the furnaces at the prison-operated iron smelter at the Rusk Penitentiary. The furnace supplied the State of Texas with iron products, including the columns and dome structure for the capitol building in Austin. The original construction was a narrow gauge line but was later built in standard gauge in order to join into the main line.
In 1906 prison crews extended the rail line to Maydelle and in 1909 reached their final destination of Palestine. Once the train line was completed into Palestine the line was easily accessible to the main lines and commerce in and around the area flourished.
Photograph the “Rail and Ties” monument at the entrance of the park.
1200 points.

18. Brazos River Falls
GPS: N31 14 51.6 W96 55 13.0
Located on the Brazos River in Falls County, TX SW of Marlin, TX in a county park on FM 712. Travel 2.9 miles SW on FM 712 from the junction of TX Hwy 6 Business Route to the Falls County park. Enter the park, turn left at the Stop sign and go all the way to the back of the park close to the river. You will be able to view the Brazos River Falls.
The falls served the Indians and early settlers as a trail landmark, meeting point, and campsite. In 1834 colonizer Sterling C. Robertson (1785 - 1842) established the town of Sarahville De Viesca at the fall line of the west bank of the Brazos, but it was abandoned in 1836 because of Indian hostilities. Later renamed Ft. Milam, the settlement lasted only a few more years. The falls also formed a natural fording place for frontier travel; the rocky stream bed was the only hard-bottom crossing of the Brazos within 200 miles of the coast.
Photograph the Falls.
675 Points

19. Fort Concho
GPS: N31 27 19.2 W100 25 54.0
Located in San Angelo, TX at 630 Oakes Street. Starting from N. Bryant (US 87) and the overpass of US 277/67 travel south to Abe St. continue south, turn left at W. Beauregard Ave. travel five blocks and turn right on Oakes St., continue south about .6 miles going over the Concho River and the fort will be on the left.
Established in 1867, along the banks of the Concho River, Fort Concho was built to protect frontier settlements, patrol and map the vast West Texas region, and quell hostile threats in the area. Fort Concho served as regimental headquarters for some of the most famous frontier units like the 4th and 10th Cavalry. Elements of all four regiments of the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed at the post during its active period. The fort was closed in 1889.
This bonus requirement requires that you locate the three-inch ordnance cannon in Barracks 2. You will need to stop in at the Visitor Center and pay a fee first.
Photograph the cannon and acquire a receipt.
650 points.

20. Enchanted Rock State Park
GPS: N30 29 42.5 W98 49 11.3
At the junction of TX Hwy 16 and FM 965, between Llano and Fredericksburg, travel west on FM 965 8.6 miles to the entrance of the Enchanted Rock State Park.
The Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome that rises 425 feet above the ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States. Tonkawa Indians believed ghost fires flickered at the top, and they heard weird creaking and groaning, which geologists now say resulted from the rock's heating by day and contracting in the cool night.
Photograph the Enchanted Rock park sign at the entrance on FM 695.
250 points.

21. Robert E. Howard Home
GPS: N32 07 17.6 W99 10 19.4
Located in Cross Plains, TX on TX Hwy 36, ½ a mile east from the junction of FM 2707 and TX Hwy 36. A small white house will be on the right hand side of the road, this is the Howard home.
This is the home of Robert E. Howard, the creator of the mythical character Conan.
Photograph the “Robert E. Howard Home” sign at the front yard gate.
425 points.

22. Hogg Honeymoon cottage
GPS: N32 47 27.0 W95 27 10.0
Located at the Governor Hogg Shine Park in Quitman, TX at 101 Governor Hogg Pkwy/ 518 S. Main St ( TX Hwy 37). Travel .3 miles south on Main St. (TX Hwy 37) from the intersection of Bermuda St. ( TX Hwy 154) to the park on the right side of the street. Enter the parking area and go to the small white home to the left of the larger home. This is the Honeymoon Cottage of Governor Jim Hogg and his wife Sarah Ann Stinson.
Jim Hogg was the first Texas Governor born in Texas. The homes had belong to Jim Hogg’s in-laws.
Photograph Cottage.
1000 points.

23. Phantom Hill
GPS: N32 38 33.9 W99 40 45.05
Located in Jones County between I-20 and US 180 on FM 600. Travel south on FM 600 9.1 miles from the intersection of US 180 and FM 600. On the east side of the road is the Fort Phantom Hill Ruins.
Fort Phantom Hill was one of the second line of forts laid out in the early 1850s to protect the westward-moving frontier of Texas settlement. Officially had been known as the "Post on the Clear Fork of the Brazos”.
Photograph the ruins with at least two chimneys in the picture.
500 Points.

24. Rock Station
GPS: N31 41 46.1 W98 07 37.9
Located in Hamilton, TX on the SW corner of Grogan St. and Rice St. (US 281). Travel .6 miles on Rice St. south from the intersection of Main St. (TX Hwy 36) and Rice St. (US 281).
This unique gas “Rock” station is built from petrified wood and stone from the area.
Photograph the front of the gas station.
375 points.

25. Water Tank
GPS: N31 07 36.9 W101 10 18.0
Located in Barnhart, TX on US 67 on the south side of the road, west of the US 67 and TX Hwy 163 intersection.
This old water tank was used for the old steam engines of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway.
Photograph the Water Tank.
750 points

26. Engine 1080
GPS: N31 43 00.6 W98 58 51.0
Located in Brownwood, TX on S. Greenleaf St., between Depot St. and Adams St.
From the junction of Commerce St. (US 377/67) and Clement/Main St. (US377) turn south, travel .7 miles to Adams St. Turn left on Adams St to Greenleaf St. (.3miles), turn right on Greenleaf to the locomotive.
Engine 1080 of the AT&SF is one of nine Prairie Class engines remaining in the country.
Photograph the old steam engine and make sure the 1080 number is in the picture.
250 points.

27. Sea Wolf Park
GPS: N29 20 03.4 W94 46 43.2
Located on Pelican Island in Galveston, TX.
Travel north 4.8 miles on 51st St. from the intersection of Broadway and 51st St. going over the Pelican Island Causeway. Enter Sea Wolf Park (fee required) and find the USS Cavalla submarine.
Launched November 14, 1943, the USS Cavalla went to war in the Pacific and sank the Japanse aircraft carrier Shokaku. For this action the sub and crew earned a Presidential Unit Citation.
Photograph the USS Cavalla including the conning tower numbers “244”.
1100 points

28. Snoga Store
GPS: N28 57 26.5 W97 53 56.3
Located in Panna Maria, TX on FM 81 between Stockdale and Karnes City. Travel west one block from the junction of FM 2724 and FM 81, the store/post office will be on the right with a mailbox out front.
Panna Marie is the oldest Polish community in the United States founded December 24th, 1854. This building was built in 1855.
Photograph the Texas Historical Medallion on the front of the building.
625 points

29. Mc Donald Observatory
GPS: N30 40 48.6 W104 01 31.5
Located in the Davis mountains on the Ft. Davis loop (TX Hwy 118) 37.3 miles south of I-10.
Named after Texas banker William J McDonald who endowed $800,000 to the University of Texas to build the observatory in The Davis mountains. The first telescope was put in service in 1939 and at the time it was the second largest one in the world. Currently the observatory operates four research telescopes, the 360 inch Hobby-Eberly, the 107 inch Harlan J Smith , the 82 inch Otto-Struve and a 30 inch format imaging telescope.
Photograph the sun dial in front of the Frank N. Bash visitor center.
1800 points

30. Fort McKavett
GPS: N30 49 28.7 W100 06 38.5
Located 6.1 miles southwest of junction US 190 and FM 864, on FM 864. Look for the entrance sign just past the junction of FM 1674.
It is the site of Fort McKavett, a military post built in 1852 as Camp San Saba. The post closed in 1859 but reopened in 1868 as Fort McKavett. It was named in honor of Capt. Henry McKavett, who was killed at the Mexican War battle of Monterrey. The fort was abandoned in 1883 after the threat of Indian attacks had diminished.
Photograph the Fort McKavett Texas historical stone marker outside the entrance of the Fort McKavett State Historic Site.
250 points

31. Earth
GPS: N34 13 58.4 W102 24 21.6
Earth, Texas is located in the south central Texas panhandle 38 miles west on US 70 from the intersection of I-27 in Plainview, TX.
In Earth, Texas a city limit sign has been created inside the city limits and large enough to be spotted by aliens passing through the area traveling to Roswell, NM. The sign is at the NW corner of Main St. (US 70) and Elm St. Three blocks east of the intersection of Main St. (US 70) and Amherst St. (FM 1055).
Photograph the Earth, TX city limit sign.
1000 points

32. Spanish Fort
GPS: N33 56 43.7 W97 36 59.5
Located south of the Red River 17 miles north of Nocona, TX on FM 103.
Entering Spanish Fort, TX, FM 103 junctions with SPUR 103, at that junction continue straight for .3 miles. This is the site of Fort Teodoro, Spanish Fort.
The town of Spanish Fort occupies the Site of an Ancient Taovayas Indian Village. Scene of first severe defeat in Texas of Spanish troops by Indians in 1759. Named Fort Teodoro in 1778 by De Mezieres in honor of Teodoro De Croix, Commander of the Interior Provinces of Mexico.
Photograph the stone and bronze historical maker by the flag poles.
1200 points

33. Kaufer-Hubert Memorial Park Pier
GPS: N27 19 05.2 W97 40 46.5
Located on the banks of Madre Lagoon east of Rivera, TX on FM 628.
Travel 2.9 miles north from the junction US 77 and TX Hwy 285 on US 77 to FM 628. Turn right on FM 628 and travel 9.7 miles, look for the Kaufer-Hubert Memorial Park signs. Turn left at the boat ramp sign travel .5 miles to the memorial park, look for the pier.
This is a five hundred foot lighted pier going out into the Madre Lagoon.
Photograph the entrance of the pier.
1500 points

34. Dan Blocker
GPS: N32 58 46.6 W101 49 45.6
Located in O’Donnell, TX.
At the intersection of US 87 and FM 2053/SPUR 76 turn left at the highway crossing, travel .8 miles on SPUR 76 at 8th Street turn left. The Dan Blocker bust will be on the right side of the street across from the city park.
Born Bobby Don Blocker in Bowie county at 14 pounds, reportedly the biggest baby born in Texas at the time. Of course he is best known for his role as Hoss Cartwright from the hit TV show “Bonanza”. His family moved to O’Donnell soon after he was born and it was here he grew up.
Photograph Dan Blocker’s bust.
700 points

35. The Hanging Tree
GPS: N29 48 31.2 W101 33 35.0
Located in Langtry, TX.
South of the Langtry, TX Post Office about 100 yards in the middle of the road is a dead tree and a Texas historical marker.
Langtry, TX, the Law West of the Pecos and the infamous Judge Roy Bean. This old dead tree considered a “hanging tree” which was never used for that purpose is all that remains.
Photograph the tree including the Texas historical marker.
900 points

36. Matrimonial Oak
GPS: N31 12 13.0 W98 44 24.8
Located in San Saba, TX on China Creek Rd.
At the intersection of Wallace St./ US 190 and High St./Texas Hwy 16, travel .6 miles on Wallace St./ US 190 to 9th St.. Turn right on 9th St. travel .3 miles to China Creek Rd. follow this road for .8 miles going over a rail crossing and then to a huge Oak tree that covers the road. This is the Matrimonial Oak.
Also known as the Wedding Oak this old tree has been a ceremonial spot of nuptials for a couple of hundred years.
Photograph the stone marker by the tree.
250 points.

37. Rock Store
GPS: N29 36 52.3 W99 31 37.6
Located on Main St. Utopia, TX.
One block north from the intersection of FM 1050 and FM 187 in Utopia, TX on FM 187/Main St. The old stone building is on the right side of the street with a Texas historical medallion on the front, left of the entrance.
This Utopia's first building, erected 1873 of native rock.
Photograph the old store and its Texas Historical medallion.
500 points

38. Jim Bowie’s Indian Battle site.
GPS: N30 57 52 W99 28 31.6
From the intersection of US 190 and FM 1311 in McCulloch County. Turn South on FM 1311 and travel 4.3 miles to a stone historical marker on the east side of the road.
According to the Marker this is the site of a 13 hour siege of 164 Caddo and Lipans Indians against Jim Bowie, his brother Rezin and group of seven other men. The group was on an expedition to find the Los Almagres Mine when they discover that a war party was stalking them. It was believe that 80 warriors were killed, while the Bowie expedition lost one man.
Photograph the Texas historical stone marker.
200 Points.
Note: This bonus is 1 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

39. Onion Creek Indian Battle
GPS: N31 10 39.5 W99 15 14.2
Located on US 190 between Brady, TX and Rochelle, TX.
From Brady, TX at the junction of US 377 and US 190, travel 5.6 miles east on US 190. From Rochelle, TX at the junction of FM 1121 and US 190, travel west 4.1 miles on US 190.
One night in 1866, five men from Richland Springs (about 25 mi. NE) recovered stolen horses from Indians camped near here. A metal arrow hit a Mr. Lafferty, slid halfway around his skull, was cut out with a pocket knife, and Lafferty survived. The grave of an Indian casualty is about 30 yards north.
Photograph the Texas historical marker.
150 points.
Note: This bonus is 2 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

40. Cowboy and Indians
GPS: N31 12 59.7 W99 35 49.1
Located on US 87 between Eden, TX and Brady, TX.
From the intersection of US 83 and US 87 in Eden, TX travel east 15.2 miles on US 87. From the intersection of US 283 and US 87 travel west 13.5 miles. A Texas historical stone marker will be on the north side of the road.
Near here in 1874 or 1875, 18 Indians attacked W.B. Brown and two comrades, spooking one horse and capturing bedrolls and grub, but sparing the men, who thankfully escaped. In the 1870s, when they were being driven off the range, capture of supplies meant victory to the Indians.
150 points.
Note: This bonus is 3 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

41. Heart of Texas
GPS: N31 23 14.4 W99 10 13.7
Located on US 377 north of Brady, TX.
From the junction of US 377 and FM 1028 on US 377 travel north 5.9 miles and from the junction of US 377 and FM 502 on US 377 travel 2.1 miles south to a roadside park.
Five miles northwest is the geographic center of Texas, an imaginary point whose coordinates divide the state into four equal areas. In straight-line distance it is 437 miles from the state's most westerly point on the Rio Grande River above El Paso, 412 miles from the most northerly point in the northwest corner of the Panhandle near Texline, 401 miles from the most southerly point on the Rio Grande below Brownsville and 341 miles from the most easterly point on the Sabine River near Burkeville. Maximum border-to-border distance is 801 miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.
Photograph the “Geographical Center of Texas” historical marker.
200 points.
Note: This bonus is 4 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

42. The Western Trail
GPS: N31 15 31.7 W99 22 46.1
Located on US 283, 9.7 miles north of Brady, TX.
Travel south 4.1 miles of the FM 504/US 283 junction on US 283 or north 3.2 miles of the FM 1121/US 283 junction on US 283, west side of the highway is a Texas historical stone maker.
Through this gap in hills called "Brady Mountains" passed the western cattle trail, also known as "Dodge City Trail", "Fort Griffin Trail" or "The Beef Trail". Said to have originated in 1876, this was the last of the old-time Texas cattle trails, those east of here having been closed by farmers. Large numbers of cattle were driven up this trail 1876 to 1886--over 200,000 head in 1881 alone.
150 points.
Note: This bonus is 5 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

43. Voca Water Wheel Mill
GPS: N31 01 17.8 W99 12 58.7
Located on Texas Hwy 71 between Brady, TX and Fredonia, TX, north of the San Saba Bridge.
Travel north 2.4 miles on Texas Hwy 71 from the FM 1851/Texas Hwy 71 junction (flashing signal) or south 8.5 miles from the junction of US 377/Texas Hwy 71 on Texas Hwy 71. The Texas historical maker is on the east side of the road.
Built 1876, by H.A. Chadwick and sons, William and Milam, who constructed other mills in the region. Water was diverted from river by a still-visible, 1300-yard millrace. Originally used to grind wheat and corn; a saw was soon added to provide "rawhide" lumber. First cotton gin in the county, powered by this wheel and producing 3 bales per day, was constructed in early 1880s. A store operated near the mill for a short time, but moved to Voca after landlord refused to allow the sale of bitters. Mill operated until washed away by flood, June 1899.
Photograph the Texas historical marker.
150 points.
Note: This bonus is 6 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

44. Brady Butane
GPS: N31 07 04.4 W99 20 08.3
Located in Brady, TX at 1907 S. Bridge(US 190) at the Brady butane business.
South of the intersection of US 190/Bridge St and FM 2028 17th St. on US 190/Bridge St. on the east side of the street.
Photograph the joyful Brady Butane Tank, “Brady”
400 points.
Note: This bonus is 7 of 7 bonuses in McCulloch County. Collect all McCulloch County bonuses and multiply the sum of these bonuses by 3.

45. Sisterdale Roadhouse
GPS: N29 58 37.1 W98 43 17.7
Located in Sisterdale, TX at the junction of FMs’ 473 and 1376.
The roadhouse is .6 miles south of the FM 473/FM 1376 junction.
The Sisterdale Roadhouse is a popular eating and meeting place for Hill country riders.
Photograph the Sisterdale Roadhouse sign at the peak of the roof on the front of the building.
425 points.
Note: For an additional 200 points include at least ten parked motorcycles in the Sisterdale Roadhouse picture bonus.

46. Col. Goodnight’s Dugout
GPS: N34 57 49.2 W101 40 16.2
Located in the Palo Duro Canyon State park.
Travel 12.6 miles east on TX Hwy 217 from the intersection of I-27 to the park entrance. From the entrance, travel 3.3 miles on State Park Road 5, look for the site on the right as soon as you cross the #1 Water Crossing. You will need to park and descend the stairs to find the entrance of the dugout. A fee is required to enter the park which opens at 0800.
This is a reproduction of Colonel Charles Goodnight’s dugout. Goodnight constructed his first temporary living quarters in the present day Palo Duro Canyon Texas State Park, a dugout topped with cottonwood and cedar logs, with abandoned Comanche lodge poles as rafters. This was the location of his ranch headquarters in the Texas panhandle.
Photograph the entrance of the dugout and the turn in your park receipt.
1700 points

47. Tuttle’s Krusty Pelican
GPS: N28 46 17.8 W95 37 3.7
Located south of Sargent, TX on FM 457.
South 14.1 miles from the intersection of FM 521 on FM 457, look for Tuttle’s Crusty Pelican Bar and Grill sign on the right side of the road in the parking lot.
Photograph the Tuttle’s Krusty Pelican Bar and Grill sign in the parking lot right of the restaurant.
1500 points.
Note: For an additional 500 points include the draw bridge in the picture of the Tuttles Krusty Pelican sign bonus in the raised position.

48. Meteor Crater
GPS: N31 45 31.2 W102 28 39.3
Located west of Odessa, TX off of I-20.
Take Exit 108 from 1-20 to Meteor Crater Rd., travel south 2 miles to the entrance of the Odessa Meteor Crater visitor center.
The Odessa Crater, and four smaller craters, was formed in prehistoric time when a great shower of nickel-iron meteorites collided with the earth. It is estimated the event occurred some 50,000 years ago.
Photograph the Odessa Meteor Crater sign at the entrance gate.
700 points

49. Alabama and Coushatta Indian Reservation
GPS: N30 43 10.5 W94 40 12.6
Located between Livingston, TX and Woodville, TX on US 190.
West 16.4 miles from the intersection of US 287 and US 190 in Woodville, TX and east 17.5 miles from the intersection of US 59 and US 190 in Livingston, TX. Look for the Welcome Alabama and Coushatta Indian Tribe of Texas sign on the south side of the highway.
The Alabama and Coushatta Indian Reservation is Texas' oldest, set up by Sam Houston in 1854.
Locate the Texas historical stone marker in the island at the entrance of the Alabama and Coushatta campground.
1100 points

50. Texas Department of Public Safety
Photograph a Texas State Trooper holding your rally flag standing by the side of their patrol vehicle.
1000 points

51. McCulloch County Sherriff’s Department
Photograph a McCulloch County Deputy Sherriff holding your rally flag standing by the side of their patrol vehicle.
500 points
52. Dairy Queen
This bonus is only available between 11:00 to 12:30 May 1st, 2010.
At any Texas Dairy Queen buy a Dilly bar and bring back your receipt showing that you purchased this ice cream treat. The receipt must have the location, proper time and the correct item listed on it.
200 points

Alternate Start Locations
1. Orange, TX
Star Shop
3118 Edgar Brown Dr., 77630
409-886-2051
3000 Points

2. South Padre Island, TX
Stripes
331 Padre Blvd., 78597
956-761-1244
4000 Points

3. Anthony, TX
Flying J Travel Center
3001 Mountain Pass Blvd., 79821
915-886-2737
5400 Points

4. Texline, TX
Allsups
425 U.S. 87 79087
(806) 362-4790
5800 Points

5. Texarkana, TX
Super Station
3737 New Boston Rd., 75501
903-832-0525
3000 Points

At 0700 Central Standard Time on May 1st you will need to acquire a computer generated receipt with the correct date, time, and location from any of the listed alternate start locations.
This is just like the regular Rally start, but instead of starting anywhere within the State of Texas at 0700 you can choose to start at any of the listed locations. The only requirement for claiming the alternate start bonus points is a computer regenerated printed receipt from any of the alternate start locations.

Well I'm sitting in my room at the Best Western Brady after a great day of riding and a fine meal of Texas BBQ. :eat:

James - thanks for setting this up, it was fun. Might have been even funner if I had been able to check in before the 3 pm deadline :doh:

It was also a pleasure meeting all of the participants - the nicest folks ride motorcycles, don't you think... :rider:

Count me in if you decide to do another one.

Al

This was a lot of fun. I am also surprised that I was able to come out on top of the scoring. Yeah Me!

I got to meet several new friends today and was impressed with how far some of the riders rode in from.

After reading and re-reading (I am still working on my reading comprehension skills) all of the information that our Rally Master sent us, I finally came up with a route. It was pretty apparent that to score well, we had to collect all 7 of the bonii in McCulloch County. With that in mind, I decided to start in Palestine, Tx and collect the 1200 point bonus #17 "The Texas State Railroad".

853552915_EvVfS-L.jpg

From there I went to #18 "Brazos River Falls". I find it ironic that I was held up by a large train about a mile from the park. Ironic because I got a good start beginning at the Railroad in Palestine...

853553182_WCo3f-L.jpg

After that I hot footed it over to San Saba and capture #36 the "Matrimonial Oak". I also stopped for fuel in San Saba, as my fuel economy was, shall we say, not optimal... :deal:

853553519_6rmiR-L.jpg

Another shot to show the size of this tree...

853553861_Vfgam-L.jpg

So far so good. I have collected over 2000 points (2125 actually) and it is still only a quarter to 11 in the morning. I am now starting my run on grabbing all 7 of the McCulloch county bonii. I must have played with this routing a dozen times, to try and limit the amount of times that I would have to criss/cross Brady. I ended up with a plan that when you look at my spot track I drew a star! Pretty sure that this was the Rally Masters intent....

#39 "Onion Creek Indian Battle"

853554120_EMjpd-L.jpg

#41 "Heart of Texas".... This one threw me off my game for a little while. I pulled into the road side park and searched for several minutes the "historical" marker that was needed to be photographed. I climbed the observation tower, it wasn't there, I looked at just about every pic'nic table... nope still not there. I did find a marker where the park was dedicated, so I took a picture of it, knowing it was not the right one, but figured that the right one, must have disappeared since the rally list was put together. So I mounted the bike and rode out the north entrance of the park, and what do I see several yards up the road....

853554373_52EJo-L.jpg

From here I went to #42 "The Western Trail"

853554663_42mei-L.jpg

Then #40 "Cowboys and Indians"

853554986_PwERm-L.jpg

It was about this time that realize that time is not going to be working against me, like I feared it would have when I started this. MapSource told me this route would take over 9 hours....

853616734_Ypano-L.png

Google Maps had said 8 with almost identical mileage. My GPS was telling me that I would end at around 13:15 hours, 1:45 min ahead of schedule.... I debated to on detouring to the Enchanted Rock Bonus, but did not want to risk the 84 mile round trip even though it would have been doable, but tight on time. I kept to the plan and road into Brady to pick up #44 "Brady Butane"

853555246_wqbGQ-L.jpg

Then out of Brady to #39 "Jim Bowie's Indian Battle Site"

853555565_hxFi4-L.jpg

Then back up to Brady and out again to pick up my final bonus #43 "Voca Water Wheel Mill".

853555888_Xi7Gt-L.jpg

I then road back into Brady and bypassed the rally finish line and instead went to the Sheriffs office to try and capture a Deputy for a 500 pointer.... But no luck, so I called it quits and went to check in.

I arrived and James came out to meet me and get me checked in. Shortly there after the majority of the other riders came rolling in.

I had a blast, and can't wait to do this again.

Tale of the tape:

853587320_ikgJR-L.png

Start - 07:05
Finish - 13:49 (6 hours 44 min)

Start Odometer - 38294
End Odometer - 38701 (407 miles)

Averaged 56 MPH throughout. Which reminds me, today was a perfect travel day. NO TRAFFIC anywhere, and but for a 3 or 4 min hold up by a train early on, there were no travel or other logistic hic'ups. Everything just clicked today.

First to Register for the rally, and got Rally Flag number 1. First to finish, and the icing on the cake, or it is whip cream on the pie.... placed first among the other competitors with 6325 points.

Mike and I would have tied but for a time penalty he recieved, and a administrative mistake on his part....

James: You did a great job as Rally Master :clap:. The amount of planning that you put into this really showed throughout. Thank you for putting this on. :hail:

****, sounds like a fabulous time fellas.. I wish I was there... I got the call to pick up my bike at 1:30 today. I contemplated riding up to Brady just see you all.

Duke, congratulations on putting together a great ride and to all of you that made the trip. It was good to have meet everyone.
The top riders were:
1. Duke Dixon
2. David Whitford
3. Justin Hines
Look for my full report soon.
Thank you all again for your time and commitment.

Back