• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heat keeping everyone inside?

Alexa says it's 88 right now at 9:55! [emoji26]
I looked at 9:58 and told my wife. Dang it's still 88 degrees outside. LOL. Cooler temps are right around the corner. Highs of 90-93 will feel great. I also rode a couple of hours starting around 3:00 pm.

Put 400 miles on the triumph and 200 on the FJR this week. But yes, it is hot. Do the riding in the morning or after 6 pm.

I've been at the track, but the street bike is currently exploded in the garage because the BIKE wasn't having the Texas heat - bought an aftermarket fan to install, but that tear down ended up resulting in me trying to remove a bunch of the OEM/stock crap that is just extraneous on the bike, and now the entire thing is torn apart LOL - and been a bit busy to get back to it.

Race bike is fine, but without all that crap on there it gets a LOT more airflow, plus it doesn't have to sit on hot roadways sucking hot exhaust air from all the cars....

In my garage on my bikes temperature gauge that hasn’t been ridden today. If the radiator fan kicks on I’m moving !

I got out Sunday for about 7 hours. I think I rode around 200 miles or so, much of it dirt, but also some fun pavement. There is a lot more loose stuff now that it is so dry and the dirt has been chewed up by the trucks. I had one corner with pretty deep sand that made me think I was going to face plant. I stayed with it though and managed to ride it out. I'm running a TKC 70 rear and it just doesn't hook up in sand like a TKC 80 rear, so using the throttle in sand is more challenging! The dust is just crazy. I had a few times where I had to power through it to catch up to some one. Then I had to wait until they realized I was behind them and they were willing to move over and let me pass. Most folks are pretty good about this, but there was some guy dragging a worn out RV with the side extension hanging out so he couldn't see behind him and he was taking up the whole road and then some! He eventually turned off, but man, even hanging back it was hard to see!

I started out heading East toward Lake Livingston on what used to be dirt roads between Hwy 19 and US 190. Now they are mostly paved. I am sure the locals love that because it keeps the dust down and the dirt off their vehicles. I can't really blame them. It seems like every time I head out, another road has been paved. I wandered around on dirt roads South of US 190 and along FM 946. I jumped over to FM 224 along the West edge of Lake Livingston. The Southern half of this road is a lot of fun with nice curves and fast elevation changes. I cut back West on FM 945 to Hwy 150 and then headed backup into the SHNF, eventually working my way over to New Waverly for a gas, Gatorade, and an ice cream sandwich. I then worked my way further West to Richards and stopped at @AggieVFR 's parent's house for a nice visit on their awesome front porch. I used to stop and visit with his grand parents when they lived there and they'd always feed me a bowl of Blue Bell while we watched cruisers try to navigate the tight corner in front of their house. They kept the cordless phone on the porch with them so they could call 911 when someone blew the corner, which happened with an alarming regularity!

I spent more time visiting than I had intended, so it was getting late, 6:00pm, and I still wanted to make a loop out toward the Navasota River before heading home. To make some time I just ran FM 149 out to Anderson and then some dirt that brought me out on FM 3090. From there I ran up some more dirt along the East side of the river up to Hwy 30. I stopped for a cold lemonade at Yankee's, and then headed North toward Iola on FM 244. A few miles North of Yankee's, I hit dirt again and started running NE over toward Bedias, then back East on more dirt South of FM 1696. I eventually dropped back out onto FM 1696 and just ran pavement home because it was getting dark and the deer were coming out in force. I had already had a close encounter with a few spotted fawns earlier in the day and seen numerous larger deer crossing the roads in front of me. I didn't want to push my luck.

I thought about taking pictures frequently. But it was hot! As long as I was moving, I was actually quite comfortable and not all sweaty. But if I stopped... :suicide: So no pics :-P

Highest temp I saw was 99.5 F according to the bike thermometer.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Sunday Ride 081119.gpx
    178.9 KB · Views: 159
So what's a nice Foresty route? U mean SHNF got some shade, but I don't wanna do that every time

Scott, what kinda mileage do you get when you run a tkc80 on the big bike? I’m at 1400 miles on my much lighter husky 701 and that tkc 80 is toast.

Whoa! You doing mostly pavement? That's quick?

Rarely on pavement. I’ll do 40 miles on dirt roads to go around a 15 mile pavement ride. Plus I’m not fast by anyone’s measure. The tkc80 just didn’t last. I’m gonna try the mitas e07 next.

I am lucky if I get 2500-3000 miles from a rear TKC 80 or a Shinko 805. But then, I like to get on the gas :trust:

My last Shinko 805 lasted for 10 days of riding. Two days in Arkansas, about 500 miles or so. A fast up and back trip to Fort Worth, about 390 miles running pretty fast on paved back roads. Then six days of riding in the Smoky Mountains on dirt and pavement, about 1400 miles. It was completely used up from edge to edge.

I am currently running the TKC 70 that came on the bike when I bought it. It has around 4500 miles on it right now and looks like it will go maybe another 1500-2000 miles if I don't go crazy with it. I does okay off the pavement, but it doesn't hook up well for acceleration or braking. I locked up the rear in loose gravel and I slid a LONG way compared to what would have happened with the TKC80/Shinko 805.

There is no perfect tire. It is always about compromise. Any tire that is really good in the dirt is just not going to last real long. I am not one of those people that will run the tire until it is bald, so I will never be one of those that gets 10K miles out of ANY rear tire, for dirt or pavement.

So what's a nice Foresty route? U mean SHNF got some shade, but I don't wanna do that every time

Well, down where you are, there aren't exactly any forests. At best, you have fence line trees or maybe a few patches around creeks or lakes :-P

Not sure if the picture shows but the tkc80 barely has traction any more. :shrug:

Not to steal the thread...

Last edited:
It is some kinda hot hot, but combine that with a dusty dirt road, cough cough. Ain't no Californian's in my neighborhood :).
Ever herd the song, Dusty road take me home to a place I don't belong... Thorndale Texas Milam County.... take me home dusty road.

It is some kinda hot hot, but combine that with a dusty dirt road, cough cough. Ain't no Californian's in my neighborhood :).
Ever herd the song, Dusty road take me home to a place I don't belong... Thorndale Texas Milam County.... take me home dusty road.
Now that's some song butchering!

Going back to original topic, I know it's unreasonable to expect anything else than hot this time of year in Texas. However, man I really want to get out! Watching some fantastic dual sport rides on YouTube! That's why I got into this. I'm hooked! Can't wait till it cools off!

Going back to original topic, I know it's unreasonable to expect anything else than hot this time of year in Texas. However, man I really want to get out! Watching some fantastic dual sport rides on YouTube! That's why I got into this. I'm hooked! Can't wait till it cools off!
Then my advice is to gear up , get a 100 oz camelback, fill it with ice water and go ride.

Put 400 miles on the triumph and 200 on the FJR this week. But yes, it is hot. Do the riding in the morning or after 6 pm.
I like after 6, humidity seems worse early.

Reactions: JMZ
I pedal biked 80 miles (5hrs) on Saturday and moto'd almost 400 (7hrs) on Sunday. Was out the garage door at 7:00am both days. Thinking Sunday was tougher but mainly due to not getting home until 3:00pm. Riding in Breckenridge next week will be a welcomed shock to my system.

It is hot and dry calling for 106 tomorrow. Ground is cracked. I ran water in one for several minutes thought I saw steam and heard faint screams and gnashing of teeth. Probably not :angryfire

Attachments

• drought 2019 1.jpg
    drought 2019 1.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 144
  • drought 2019 2.jpg
    drought 2019 2.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 144
Back