• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heather's FreeRide Build

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
It has a plate, so the DS forum seemed appropriate. We picked up a lightly used '16 FreeRide last weekend and I've already started the parts list.

IMG_5591-XL.jpg

Heather is 5'4", but only has a 28.5" inseam, so the suspension is going to MotoLab for a 3" lowering and springs set up for her weight.

In stock trim she can get both tippy-toes down, but the bike does have Mouse Bibs which allows the trials tires to flex and reduce the seated height.

IMG_5590-XL.jpg

3" may seem like a lot to take out of the suspension, but she is coming off a TTR 125 (albeit with YZ80 forks) and a CRF250L, so the KTM suspension set up for her weight is going to feel like magic. I hope.

I ordered a real skid-plate and am looking for a pipe-guard. P3 and Eline make ones for the stock pipe, but the PO put a full FMF system on and the FMF pipe is much fatter than stock. It came with the stock one, so might have to put that back on...

More to come!

Last edited:
I think these are super trail bikes that are often overlooked. I'll be interested to hear your impression's after she has some time on it.

I think these are super trail bikes that are often overlooked.

I agree. She does 90% of her riding between idle and 1/2 throttle, so the tame "no-hit" two stroke is a good mix of light weight, torque, full-size tires, and smaller frame size. We also looked at the Beta X-Trainer, but they run a little quicker and still have a punch up top. Found a smoking deal on this one too, so that helped!

I've buzzed up and down the drive-way a few times and the power is all at the bottom. The thing revs to ~5k and signs off, so the power is not going to surprise anyone.

Owning a late model KTM is something new to me and I'm impressed with the quality of the components...except the stock kickstands. I've seen those fold like a pool noodle.

The stock skid-plate isn't going to take much abuse and provides poor protection for the engine, so we upgraded to the KTM aluminum version.

IMG_5691-X2.jpg

Aside from high quality fasteners and a great fit the kit came with neoprene strips to go between the frame and skid-plate to limit rattles.

IMG_5696-X2.jpg

Loosely seat the skid-plate and all the bolts and then lift the bike via a center-stand to compress the neoprene before tightening into place.

IMG_5707-X2.jpg

I have my eye on a set of radiator guards and then I think she's ready for the rocks. Any other protection I should add?

Last edited:
That's pretty. The skid plate makes me a little jealous my Versys can't have one just like it.

Cool bike. Three inches is a lot of lowering for that bike. That is going to significantly reduce ground clearance and foot peg clearance, and change the bike significantly from how it was designed. I am surprised Motolab did not talk you out of that.

I would not go over two inches at the very most. I think that would be plenty looking at the picture and KTM most likely has a low seat option for that bike as well if you need more.

I hear ya, but MotoLabs seems to know what they're talking about and have done several bikes at 3.5". This will be set up from a 140lb women with a 28.5" inseam who rides a lot if she can touch the ground easily and doesn't ride if she can't. Simple as that. She'll trade confidence and boot to earth contact vs. performance ANY day. :giveup:

She's also coming off a TTR125 and CRF250L, so the move to a trail bike that doesn't weight 320lbs and has real size tires will make a lot of obstacles seem much easier. Frankly, I don't know how she rode much of what we've done on the TTR's little 19"/16" tires!

If you're ever thinking about shipping your suspension to have it set up for your height, weight, and terrain a double-gun case works well to hold everything. They have'em at academy for ~$30.

IMG_6093-X2.jpg

IMG_6096-X2.jpg

Got the suspension back from MotoLab yesterday. A few turns of the wrenches and it was back together. Now time for some riding. :-)

IMG_6148-X2.jpg

Other mods on our list are Bulletproof Desings radiator guards, a clutch side case saver, tubliss system, and a Rekluse.

Coming along nicely.
I recently purchased a bike for my son with tubliss. I haven’t really gotten enough time to decide if I like it.

I like the suspension shipping idea.

That bike is going to be too much fun I bet.

That bike is going to be too much fun I bet.

*in a confessional voice* I actually took it for a ride around the neighborhood before she got home to see it and it's quite zippy. It easily lofts the front wheel in 1st or 2nd even with the lowly stance.

Will be interesting to see how she adjusts. This is the first bike where she'll really need to watch the throttle control. :rider:

Always thought those free rides would make a great playbike

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I could have been cleaner with the cut, but the kickstand is holding up well in its modified state. I cut off the bottom 2-3" and used a vise, large screw-driver, and hammer to drive the hard plastic foot out of the original end. With a little encouragement I was able to push it into the "new" end of the stand. I added a small screw on the back-side to make sure it stays put.

IMG_6350-XL.jpg

What do they say about an ounce of prevention?

I added radiator guards and a skid-plate, so it only makes sense to do something about the clutch cover. I picked up one of these from Polisport. I need to see if they make something for the water-pump too.

IMG_6469-XL.jpg

I could have been cleaner with the cut, but the kickstand is holding up well in its modified state. I cut off the bottom 2-3" and used a vise, large screw-driver, and hammer to drive the hard plastic foot out of the original end. With a little encouragement I was able to push it into the "new" end of the stand. I added a small screw on the back-side to make sure it stays put.

IMG_6350-XL.jpg
Did she get to ride it yet?

First real ride this past weekend out at Barnwell.

We were in the parking area next to the pavilion when she started it and it got some attention from the group of older riders next to us. One of the shorter guys swung a leg over the bike and with a big grin said, "I could get used to this!"

Heather hasn't ever ridden a bike with more power than she needs, so in her words "I almost ghost rode it a few times", but overall it was all smiles. The only tip-over was from a stand-still. Otherwise she did great in the rocks, mud, and hills.

IMG_6493-XL.jpg

IMG_6484-XL.jpg

Happy wire happy life they say!

So I'm about to dive into a Rekluse install. :giveup:

After reading through the directions a few times it seems like the hardest parts will be getting the 27mm nut that holds the basket loose, installing the drive plates the right direction, and making sure I use "correct" hyraulic fluid. Any guidance for a first time Rekluse installer? I went ahead and ponied up for the Core EXP 3.0 kit.

To address above I plan to use a big breaker bar with my 1/2" cheater bar. I have a 27mm impact socket. Apparently you can put bike in 5th and have a buddy hold the brake to keep piston from turning over?

To get the drive-plates the right way I think I can probably figure out from youtube vids. The directions are a little coy about which way it's oriented, so not clear at this point. More research needed.

For correct hydraulic fluid it's just DOT brake fluid, right?

Should I go ahead and order extra gaskets? It's a '16, so pretty new. What says the voice of experience?

2018110609164488-IMG_6857-XL.jpg

Got the bike inspected late last week and tore into the clutch on Friday night.

After laying the bike over I realized that the nice Polisport cover came with 3 after-market clutch cover bolts that would now be obsolete, but where did I put the original 3? I never discard this sort of thing, so they had to be somewhere. After 15 minutes I found them on a shelf in their own baggie. Go figure.

IMG_6873-X2.jpg

There are several youtube videos about installing a Rekluse and the provided paper directions are pretty thorough. Having not done this before I dove in anyway.

Lay the bike over to keep the engine oil in the engine and remove the clutch cover. As the videos state, carefully remove the springs and clutch pack.

IMG_6875-X2.jpg

The difficult part is removing the 27mm nut holding the clutch hub on to the shaft.

Bend the tabs on the keeper washer out of the way and stomp on the rear brake and use an impact or breaker bar to remove the 27mm nut. Don't use the resistance of the transmission to hold the clutch basket in place. Those little gears might not be a match for your impact. Use the brake.

IMG_6877-X2.jpg

Once you're to this point you are staring at the clutch hub on the shaft. Yours might slide right off as the directions state. Mine did not. Fortunately I had this nice puller and as soon as I gave the least bit of tug the hub began to slide off. Sometimes the oil creates a suction effect that makes it difficult to remove by hand.

Hub ready to come off...

IMG_6879-X2.jpg

But it needed some help...

IMG_6880-X2.jpg

Once that hub is out you're ready to start the re-assembly process with all the cool Rekluse goodies. Follow the directions to a T and you'll be buttoned up in no-time!

IMG_6883-X2.jpg

I adjusted the free-play and it worked like a charm. Wife is gonna love this! I felt a little bad on the 1st few rides when I had a Rekluse and she didn't. Felt like I was hoarding the cheat-code!!

IMG_6887-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear what she thinks about the clutch since she has ridden the bike without it first.

Back