• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HEED Crash Bars

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
Normally I like to keep my screw-ups to myself. Especially when it comes to my motorcycle.

Generally, my wife is the only person I share such screw-ups. If it were possible, I wouldn't even do that! But, more often than not. She's the one to discover my screw-up in the first place.

I COULD keep this screw-up to myself as she doesn’t know (yet). But, here I am, sharing it with all my inmates.

I share because it may be of some value to other noob-riders like myself. And it reflects the good service I've experienced with Heed Crash bars.

Heed manufactures crash bars for an assortment of bikes, including my Yamaha Tenere. I’ve been running without bars for two years. In part, I’ve been very lucky without bars. My first crash took place on the Old Ore Road in Big Bend. Overlooking the fractured ribs; my Tenere suffered only scratches down the right side cowling cover (a $400 part). As you can imagine, this could have been a devastating crash had I damaged the engine. I can only imagine the costs associated with getting my bike out of Big Bend and back home.

These inexpensive bars are not in the same category as Rumbux. But they do fit my budget. At $169 plus $41 shipping. They will provide some protection. At least once.

Heed is built, sold, and shipped from Poland. Yep, delivery takes a very long time. If you plan to install a set of Heeds for the Texas 500. You might want to order today and cross your fingers; they arrive on time.

So... On to my screw-up.

I ordered the bars directly from Heed's website. I made the PayPal payment, including the $41 shipping fee, for a total of $210.00. Then I waited for my overseas shipment to arrive. Surprisingly, I received an email from Heed asking why I hadn't accepted the shipment? I immediately backtracked what the Sam-Hill happened! CRAP, if I didn’t use the wrong address on the order forum. I couldn’t believe the, dare I admit, stupidity of it! My Google Chrome Auto-Fill didn’t even catch it. I was off by one number. Lucky for me, my neighbor doesn't ride at Tenere?

Once I completed my ritual of self-punishment. I admitted to Heed what had happened. I then confirmed my bars were on their way back to Poland. I had images in my head. By now, the box is mostly crushed, torn open, exposed to seawater, and endlessly rubbing a barnacle covered wall of some cargo container, as the cargo ship made its way around Cape Horn. During a storm.

Heed must be familiar with guys like me. They stepped right up to the plate, told me they would ship out a replacement set of crash bars, all I need do, cover shipping. So, another $41 and a new set of bars are on the way.

I hope the quality of my Heed bars is as good as the customer service. Once the package comes in, I will update this review.

After a bunch of research, I purchased Heed bars for my 1150GS & like them a lot. They arrived packaged very well, are solid, fit like a glove, look good and were less expensive than most other well known brands. Pretty sure you'll like them for the Tenere.

2E9826D8-0F77-47B0-B222-727773A7CD19_1_201_a.jpeg

D96838A3-E5AF-4A13-9233-F43EA17B0101.jpeg

I just met a gentleman the other day who had a set on his 2nd Gen V-Strom 1000. They looked good and I thought they would give better protection than the Givi's I'd seen before.

I have a pair on my Ducati Multistrada and like them a lot. I also experienced good customer service related to a replacement part.

I also had a great experience with HEED. I purchased their crash bars for my 2016 Honda Africa Twin. The bars were packaged really well. They were held in US customs for a couple of weeks, but I can't blame HEED for that.
I had purchased the crash bars in late 2016 from HEED. Then, about mid 2017 they emailed me saying they had redesigned the left bar to better accommodate removal of the battery for the Africa Twin. They offered to ship me a new left crash bar at no cost. They absolutely didn't have to do this, especially at no cost, but I did take their offer. I've had to jump my AT a couple of times and I will say it's been easy to access the battery door because of the bar's redesign.
I've had several spills on the bike. Once on asphalt and the others on gravel or dirt. The bars have held up great with no damage to the bike components or plastics.

Update on my Heed order. Re-shipment of the replacement bars left the Heed warehouse in Częstochowa, Poland on Dec. 10th. Yesterday at 2:46 AM they arrived in New York city!

Back