• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from McKinney... just north of DFW.

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
In the past, I've been an avid dirt bike and cruiser rider on a 2000 XR650R and 1999 Honda Valkarie. I bought both motorcycles new and still ride them on occasion. More recently, I purchased a 2020 BMW R1250GSA dual sport; and once again, I find myself motivated to get some road rides in and/or light to medium off-road riding. Sadly, my off-road technical riding and ripping along 'without a care' days are over due to a leg, knee, and foot injury.

I'm looking forward to starting with some short and/or long day rides with other members in my area. In the near term, I also see myself taking longer rides to other states over several days (camping or hotels). I'm also entertaining the idea of taking an epic road trip to Alaska in 2021-2022 (hopefully with my older son).

20200829_164849.jpg

This is the new bike, 2020 BMW R1250GSA. I don't have any pics of me on this bike yet. 96 miles on the odometer. That's going to go way up:)

The Ride.JPG

The 1999 Honda Valkarie currently has saddle bags and a windshield. It's a little tired (need to clean the valves), but still runs good and looks great! This is a 'glory days' pic of me. I'm now 20 years older, 20 years wiser, and 20 x 2 pounds heavier... but who's counting? :)

The Other Ride.jpg

Pic of my nephew on the wife's 2001 XR250R (bike was sold 2 years ago) and that's me on my 2001 XR650R. I have waaaay more miles on this XR650R than the Valkarie. A pretty serious crash on this bike mangled my leg. The XR650R has spent several years in the corner of my garage - giving me ample time to heal and contemplate what's next to check off the bucket list.

In closing, I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone on TWT and possibly meeting some of you.

- Keith (Haze Gray Rider, a Navy Veteran)

Welcome, fellow Beemer rider. The GS/GSA is a great bike.
Thanks! This is my first BMW. My initial impression is very positive. The dynamic suspension adjustment and ABS is alien to me. I'm just hoping all the bells and whistles (i.e electronic systems) don't overly complication any future road side troubleshooting in the event of a problem/malfunction.

Welcome, there are several trips planned over the next couple of months...pack it and go
Yes, I've been noticing some of those upcoming trips. I'm looking forward to adding gear/equipment that will address any unforeseen pain points as my trips get farther and longer.

Love the older XRs! Welcome.
Same. They are simply unkillable machines. The wife and I did a week long 'off-road honeymoon' dirt bike trip in Baja California through a tour company. It was awesome! As soon as we arrived home, we bought a couple of XRs.

Welcome, I am also a retired Navy rider in McKinney (out near Princeton). We do some street, but mostly track riding.

There’s a member on here “Chris Doherty” and he usually organizes a monthly dirt bike ride out, suitable for large bikes in the Mckinney and surrounding areas. This year it hasn’t happened due to all the a Covid issues, but hopefully he will start again soon.. welcome to the club, I am in Princeton and ride a CRF450X in the dirt and a super Tenere for road and some dirt!! Hopefully we might bump into each other..

There’s a member on here “Chris Doherty” and he usually organizes a monthly dirt bike ride out, suitable for large bikes in the Mckinney and surrounding areas. This year it hasn’t happened due to all the a Covid issues, but hopefully he will start again soon.. welcome to the club, I am in Princeton and ride a CRF450X in the dirt and a super Tenere for road and some dirt!! Hopefully we might bump into each other..
Thanks. I'll be watching for his 'Chris Doherty' posts. Looking forward to getting some light off-roading in the near future.

Lol. I'm an addict.

I'm making progress though. Working on selling a few. I'm down a few from last year.

Probably eventually end up with 4...or 5. :)

I do have 2 sons that ride... so I keep some for them.

Welcome, I am also a retired Navy rider in McKinney (out near Princeton). We do some street, but mostly track riding.
A former Navy guy. Nice! Not many of us are here this far from the ocean. I almost bought the Ducati Multistrada 1260 instead of the R1250GSA (didn't know how much offroading I was going to do... would have liked to be a Ducati rider). Even the KTM 1290 Super Adventure R was in the running after I watched this video:

Hello, I'm also from McKinney
Hi. Not a bad place to reside. I live in the Stonebridge area. I've found some local gravel roads, but nothing I'd consider off-roading. Need to get my XR650 up and running again. By chance do you bass fish?

Hi. Not a bad place to reside. I live in the Stonebridge area. I've found some local gravel roads, but nothing I'd consider off-roading. Need to get my XR650 up and running again. By chance do you bass fish?
Besides the influx of heavy traffic, absurd property taxes and home prices, it's not a bad place I guess. For any dirt roads you'll need to travel 30 minutes to an hour from the city. I'm anxious to make a trip to Big Bend soon. I don't bass fish but I've tossed a line back in the day.

Back