• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet cam recommendation

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
I have a friend who has been run off the road twice by an unruly neighbor and wants to film it for the police. He has a couple different bikes so a helmet cam is probably best. Despite the fact that my wife claims I have an answer to almost any question, I've never used a camera on a bike/extreme sporting event. I'm punting to my TWT experts on this one... thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Problem with helmet cams is limited recording times.
Maybe an hour for most that I have seen and used, if not less.

They do make "dash cam" type cameras for motorcycles that are on and recording any time the bike is on, and can record many hours of footage with a large memory card.
I have (well had, it just died last month) on my bike (LINK)for just over a year.

Here is a video of it on Tx 16 outside Kerrville:

It has a front and rear camera, but does not display it as it is in the video. It records both front and rear views at the same time in their own separate video, I just edited the video to show both at the same time.

Here is a video that also has a gopro along with the above.

Gopro video is better, but the Gopro was also almost 2x the cost. There are better "dash cam" motorcycle cameras out there though.

^^^^^What brand it that and where did you have it mounted? I like this option..

Edit, talking about the dash cam not the gopro

^^^^^What brand it that and where did you have it mounted? I like this option..

Edit, talking about the dash cam not the gopro
Link above, but here it is agian.

No longer available, but there are quite a few on Amazon. Seems the $200 price range is where decent camera systems start, have seen some in the $400 range a well.

I had it just over a year and it just recently quit working (front camera only works sometimes, intermittent shutdown, corrupt recorded files).
I luckily purchased a protection plan for it and it should be covered.

On my wing, the cameras are mounted on the body work, I have plenty.
The head unit is mounted in my left side cubby.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has been run off the road twice by an unruly neighbor and wants to film it for the police. He has a couple different bikes so a helmet cam is probably best. Despite the fact that my wife claims I have an answer to almost any question, I've never used a camera on a bike/extreme sporting event (of which I've done none other than field mowing), so I've punted to my TWT experts on this one... thanks for the advice!
I use my gopro all the time and it is attached to my helmet. It is mounted so that the view for the camera starts right at my chin. My gopro hero 6 was good enough video that when a guy cut me off on the free way and I wrecked as a result (my reaction is what caused me to go down), the police were able to get the license plate and find the driver.

How you mount the camera to the helmet changes the perspective of what is recorded. Some people mount it to the side by their ear and its fine, but it doesn't get anything from the other side of their head. Others like myself like the chin mount as it gives the closest representation as to what my eyes can see (as far as I know). Then there's always the option of mounting it to the top of the helmet which also gives a good view of what's going on.

There are 360 degree viewable gopros now, but they are more pricey than something like what I have.

Edit: Here is the video from my wreck and in full screen you can easily read the cars plate.

Anyone ever used a Contour 1080 from about 10 years ago? I just found one in a box with a bunch of accessory stuff that I bought for my wife many years ago and she never used. I wonder if I give it to my friend if he can make it work long enough to help catch the neighbor in the act of pushing him off the road while riding his bike.

I think @RollingJ had a contour back in the day. He made lots of video with it.

I still have it, just no mounts. It worked well. It was very easy to turn on and off.

Back