• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Color: White vs. Black?

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Tidrick
Most of my riding is commuting in Houston traffic. I am wearing a black helmet that is approaching needing to be replaced.

My question is this: is there a noticable difference in the heat inside a white (or light colored) helmet as compared to a black one?

Asked in a different way - is it worth selecting a white helmet for cooling effect?

TIA!

- kbt

If you break out a thermometer, maybe. But I agree with the above that that big bright orb is more visible. Solid (ish) color is better. Something about the human eye and breakup of colors. Kinda like camo breaks up an image.

Cheers

I can't tell any difference in temperature, but the visibility factor is huge.

Yes, the black helmet will be hotter. Does it matter? 20 degrees is a big enough difference to matter to me.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,065
Last edited:
The outside of a black or any dark helmet (like my burgundy one) will be measurably hotter than a white or high viz green one. The EPC liner is a great insulation layer though. Heat from the outside would take a very long time to get through that insulation. It is almost like wearing a cooler on your head.

I will be replacing mine with a silver or high viz soon for other reasons. Heat alone inside the helmet is not a factor on mine for me. Visibility is one of a few advantages that has me doing to the lighter color.

I was going to say, hard to proof until I saw JT's confirmation... besides what others said about visibility, makes white my preference.

Like Ed said, the outside will be hotter on a dark helmet but the inside...not so much.

Me, I like dark colors so I have a matte black helmet. It matches my grey and black riding gear and my dirty silver (almost grey) bike. Visibility is overrated....:trust:

Benjamin Franklin would have told you to wear white, if you are concerned about the heat absorbtion. ;-) Sam

The outside color won't matter much once moving as you'll be having hot air off the pavement invading the inside of the helmet everywhere it can.

Yes, the black helmet will be hotter. Does it matter? 20 degrees is a big enough difference to matter to me.

John, Was you measurement made on the outside or on the liner?

I wear a silver helmet none the less...

John, Was you measurement made on the outside or on the liner?

I wear a silver helmet none the less...

The measurements were from the outside. I agree the foam is a good insulation. Unfortunately I will not be able to take inside measurements and see how effective till next Tuesday. I'll be stuck in Arkansas riding the trails for a few days.

Well, if you sit the helmets outside for a couple of hours I can tell you that it is just pure physics that the darker one will be hotter inside. It's just the nature of darker colors absorbing more light. Eventually it will transfer the extra heat to the inside no matter how good the insulation is. But like Jasen said, once moving it's all a moot point anyhow due to the air coming in from everywhere.

Lucky for me, I don't keep my helmet out in the sun all day while I'm at work.

I have both, a white modular and a black full faced.....

I think the white one is cooler,,,,but it could just be all in my head....(pun intended)

A thermometer inside will show that the difference is small. I figure if they can't see my HiViz Darien, the helmet color probably won't make any difference.

I have a solid white and a matte black. I swear on hot days the white one is noticeably cooler.

The outside of a black or any dark helmet (like my burgundy one) will be measurably hotter than a white or high viz green one. The EPC liner is a great insulation layer though. Heat from the outside would take a very long time to get through that insulation. It is almost like wearing a cooler on your head.

Ed has nailed it, you don't wear a helmet inside out. You have a huge thick piece of foam between you and the shell, I doubt there would be that much difference.

My helmets have been white simply due to my hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will see me and think "motorcycle cop," in which case at least maybe they've seen me. :shrug:

A friend's son did this for a science fair project. The hypothesis, of course, was that the black lid would be hotter. But the result was the white helmet was a few degrees hotter on the inside. There was not any explanation for the unexpected result, but the black one was repeatedly cooler by a few degrees.

My helmets have been white simply due to my hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will see me and think "motorcycle cop," in which case at least maybe they've seen me. :shrug:

Now that's the best reason so far that I have read! :clap: Sam

The outside color won't matter much once moving as you'll be having hot air off the pavement invading the inside of the helmet everywhere it can.

A thermometer inside will show that the difference is small. I figure if they can't see my HiViz Darien, the helmet color probably won't make any difference.

Agree with both of these. Vents are likely more important than helmet color in staying cool and the right jacket is far more visible than a helmet. I chose black simply because I've never been able to keep a white helmet white. Within a week it is white with black scuff marks, white with nicks, white with colored scuff marks...

My helmets have been white simply due to my hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will see me and think "motorcycle cop," in which case at least maybe they've seen me.
Now that's the best reason so far that I have read! :clap: Sam

Even better if you ride a FLHTP, ST1300P or RTP. ;-)

btw, mirror or dark tint visor helps keep things cooler too.

Vents are likely more important than helmet color in staying cool
But most important...seek cooler climates and higher altitudes. :mrgreen:

Sigh, Texas summer is almost here....I need some Colorado mountains and soon!

Back