• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help for riders in San Angelo

Did you by any chance remove and inspect you cam chain tensioner? If you pull it off and the tensioner does not spring all the way out that could be the crux of your problem. You can also check to see if it is still good by removing the nut on the back of the adjuster, inserting a flathead screwdriver into the hole and turning the screw inside clockwise. It should be under tension and when you remove the screwdriver it should audibly snap back.

There is a spring inside the guts of the tensioner that can break and allow the cam chain to rattle around which makes an awful sound. This happened recently to my on my CRF450X. I removed it and carefully dis-assembled it, noting the direction the spring was wound. The spring was broken about 2 inches (5cm lol) from the external hook and I was able to use the shortened spring by bending a new hook to the end.

RollingJ: indeed, one of the first things I did was pull remove the cam chain tensioner.

When I removed it, it seemed to be operating exactly as intended. I re-installed it properly releasing it after it was installed. Having removed the clutch side cover, I have confirmed that it that cam chain is nice and tight.

I am pretty sure the problem lay deeper into the dark abyss :(

Adam

Adam

Got your PM.

Working though some timings and logistics (I spoke about the toy hauler option for living before going out and checking the prep... have not used in more than a Year... :oops: )

We have a pre planned ride today.....

And I have to go to work for a few hours Monday....

I'll get back with you here in a bit.

Erik

Hi Erik,

No problem at all. We in no way expect you to drop everything. A ride day is a ride day ;)

We are just chillin' out but much relieved that we at least we are on the path to "next steps" at this point.

We will wait to hear from you.

Adam

Cycle rider in San Antonio on Braniff works on all makes and models of bikes . They do total engine rebuilds and have decent rates,

I'm at work till 0700 tomorrow but am happy to make my way over to San Angelo when i get off to shuttle the bike to Erik's. Looks like 3 1/2 hours from my house in NW Austin to San Angelo.

Let me know... Jeff

I'm at work till 0700 tomorrow but am happy to make my way over to San Angelo when i get off to shuttle the bike to Erik's. Looks like 3 1/2 hours from my house in NW Austin to San Angelo.

Let me know... Jeff

That would be great if you can make it work...:giveup:

I'm in New Braunfels/Canyon lake area just north of San Antonio. I have truck and trailer and come get you plus we have extra room in our home. I'm retired so I have the time to provide what ever assistance you need. Just let me know.

EDIT: Don't feel bad about accepting my offer of assistance . I'm always looking for opportunities to "pay it forward" as my "pay it forward" bucket is in the negative. I have had so many fellow TWTes come to my aid that time will never permit me the opportunity to repay all the aid I have received. Seriously, let me know how I may help

medicjeff: you are offering to shuttle us around after working all night?!? Are you a sucker for punishment? :thumb:

Yeah man... If the day half of my shift is any indication on how the night will be I should get some sleep. Honestly 3-4 hours un interrupted is plenty for me at work. I'll PM you so we can figure something out.

Well it seems there is no shortage of assistance here, but I'll throw in mine as well. If things don't go as planed, I've got a garage, BRAN new jack, and plenty of tools to take apart (and hopefully put back together) anything. While I'm no bike mechanic, they can't be to different than v8s. The offer is open.

Best of luck,
Bryan

Guys,

It sounds like plans are in order to get us over to Erik's garage by way of Jeff.

Let's just say that it is rather overwhelming to receive the amount of support and hospitality which has been offered to us.

There is perhaps nothing more frustrating than being stuck in a position with no game plan -- no forward motion. Over the last couple of days we have begun to feel forward motion and that we will sort this issue out the best we can.

Cheers!

Adam

Gravel Guy & Hughes4123:

Your offers are most appreciated. That said, would it make more sense to send those $20s to Jeff and/or Erik for their troubles???

Adam

Your call....like Joel I have to work and can't be there....but willing to place the help wherever it would do you good. :zen:

Your call....like Joel I have to work and can't be there....but willing to place the help wherever it would do you good. :zen:

Ya'll are doing great here - showing these guys a little Texas 2-step in the midst of their Mambo:trust:

Gravel Guy & Hughes4123:

Your offers are most appreciated. That said, would it make more sense to send those $20s to Jeff and/or Erik for their troubles???

Adam

Well the way I see it this. If I help you out of the kindness of my heart, taking money would only water down the assistance offered. Being able to help is what it's all about. You WILL need the money. Not just for the bike, but for the trip. We'll take care of Jeff and Erik down the road. Good deeds are always repaid with other good deeds.

With that said, I'd set up a paypal acct and set a limit on it. Once you have the funds to fix the bike you can then close it. That way the good karma isn't taken away by taking more than what is needed.:sun:

With regards to PayPal, getting this bike fixed is definitely an unexpected expense.

If we were to setup an account, how does this generally work in forums? Do we publicly advertise the associated email address here or PM people with it so the address doesn't get spammed to death by internet randoms?

This is one of many examples of why this forum is awesome and so glad to be a part of these people. I work full time or I would help if I could, so when the paypal is up and running let us know, I've got a $20 on hold to help as well. If for any reason you have to come back down I-10 for maintenance, post up, there are a lot of us between you and Houston.

Trailer prep for the visit continues

Paying the price for being gone last year over the winter dumb dumb dumb

But service manual on hand, tools ready

We will dig in and see what is up when they get here

Trailer prep for the visit continues

Paying the price for being gone last year over the winter dumb dumb dumb

But service manual on hand, tools ready

We will dig in and see what is up when they get here

You should post up pics. Heck this is starting to be it's own little adventure in it's own.:mrgreen:

With regards to PayPal, getting this bike fixed is definitely an unexpected expense.

If we were to setup an account, how does this generally work in forums? Do we publicly advertise the associated email address here or PM people with it so the address doesn't get spammed to death by internet randoms?

Probably better to send a PM to those that offer.

From mobile

Back