• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help me select a “new” bike for the garage

rtbain

Reaction score
First Name
Randle
Last Name
Bain
Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully to make recommendations.

General usage: Solo rider, tank bag, back roads (twisty) day long ride around 200-300 miles.

Criteria: (please understand nothing is set in stone, but these are the general preferences)

Twins are preferred for their narrowness and the way they make power.

600 to 700 cc ±

Good basic suspension: nothing a good set of shocks and a rebuild of the forks wouldn’t cure

Good brakes: again, nothing a good set of pads and AN lines wouldn’t fix

Range of 100+ miles (this is a minimum, most of my preferred loops are longer)

Don’t mind used at all.

Don’t mind breathing on the engine a bit to wake it up if reliability is maintained.

Thanks for reading and for your kind input

^^What he said, but without bumpy dirt road capability. ^^
SV 650. I owned one and raced one belonging to a sponsor. Good power, good handling.

I’d go with the vstrom 650. Had a first gen vstrom 650, and it did just fine running the highway two up. At the time, neither one of us was what I’d consider light. Im talking 400 lbs + with gear. Not the fastest for bikes but could still out perform just about any cager save for a vette or other high performance car. Mine was a 2006 so I would reason that the performance has gotten better over the past 15 years. The aftermarket is there and you could probably get a decent deal on a low mileage well farkled bike. First gen you can pick up cheap. Second gen 2012-2016 is more modern with the basic bones of the first gen. Third gen starting in 2017 is all new but you will pay a little more

If no dirt is involved, I almost pulled the trigger on a Street Twin. It is a fine cycle. There are a lot of options, too many. Test ride stuff and see what works for you. Any of the Japanese naked bikes like a FZ7 or the Honda CB650 or whatever they call it works well too.

Triumph Trident 660 you will be the bad to the bone on this .
Triumph Trident.png

Last edited:
There are tons to choose from that meet your needs. Perhaps start narrowing down the list:
Will you do dirt roads much? (Versys, VStrom, T7, Himalayan)
Or something on the sportier side? (MT07, Trident, Tuono 660, SV, R7)
Or something with some style (Guzzi, Bonneville, etc)

Or, clearly you need one of each!

There are tons to choose from that meet your needs. Perhaps start narrowing down the list:
Will you do dirt roads much? (Versys, VStrom, T7, Himalayan)
Or something on the sportier side? (MT07, Trident, Tuono 660, SV, R7)
Or something with some style (Guzzi, Bonneville, etc)

Or, clearly you need one of each!
Great questions, thanks.

tarmac only, unless I screw the pooch :)
Good handling is important
More sporty, but prefer handlebars, already have a scooter with “character” :)
The shop already has three. BMW R1200R, HD XR1200, Moto Guzzi V11 with sidecar.

leaning towards an SV650 or an MT07. But there is a lot out there and want other opinions.

The Ducati Monster is a great street bike. I have the Baby Due - 696 and it is a ton of fun for day rides. All sorts of aftermarket support. Many used versions available in the $5-6k range.

And, it's a Ducati.

CB500X

Edit: I just noticed your cc requirement. How about a CB650R? They are fairly comfortable.

Last edited:
Yamaha XSR twin or triple.
nice neo-retro styling, and Yamaha performance and reliability

I know this is a little out of your requirements but, i’d go for an older gen V-Strom 1000.
For a just a little more weight you get
- a rock solid SV based machine
- comfortable ride position and seat
- a reliable and cheap to repair machine
- plenty of accessories
I too, much like yourself have other more purpose focused bikes but, my 06 Strom is a bike
that gives me the giggles every time I ride it.
Now that it has been shod with strictly road touring tires it has turned into quite a competent sport touring/road only machine. Plus its always a laugh b/c I regularly scrape both foot pegs and center stand when riding the Waller TX twisties.

I know this is a little out of your requirements but, i’d go for an older gen V-Strom 1000.
For a just a little more weight you get
- a rock solid SV based machine
- comfortable ride position and seat
- a reliable and cheap to repair machine
- plenty of accessories
I too, much like yourself have other more purpose focused bikes but, my 06 Strom is a bike
that gives me the giggles every time I ride it.
Now that it has been shod with strictly road touring tires it has turned into quite a competent sport touring/road only machine. Plus its always a laugh b/c I regularly scrape both foot pegs and center stand when riding the Waller TX twisties.

I scraped the heck out of my left peg feeler on my '04 DL1000 in that first good left hander north of 290 on FM362. I was riding with some sport bikes and didn't mind my corner entry speed separate from following the pack. Good thing I had enough clearance left! Still probably my favorite motor, for street use, out of all the bikes I've owned.

Back