• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HID Lighting

Guys on the VFR forum were saying to get the 35W as the 55W were too bright. Any thoughts?

Guys on the VFR forum were saying to get the 35W as the 55W were too bright. Any thoughts?

Too bright?? Isn't that the point :rider:

I have the DDM Tuning 55W, 6000K - with a delayed start relay in place. I am VERY satisfied.

They are not too bright :sun:

I'm a little confused; I noticed that some of you are using TWO 55W bulbs. Isn't the low-beam bulb supposed to be 35W and the high 55W?

I'm a little confused; I noticed that some of you are using TWO 55W bulbs. Isn't the low-beam bulb supposed to be 35W and the high 55W?

I'm sure you could do that, but the bulbs are the same from the factory. It's the reflector design on the 2nd bulb that throws the light up and out when you switch to Hi-Beam.

trey

It's the reflector design on the 2nd bulb that throws the light up and out when you switch to Hi-Beam.

And it is for this reason that I find the Bandit's light distribution lacking.

If/when I ever spend money to improve the light by which to ride by, it will be on a pair of PIAA's mounted no lower then our turn signals. Though novel, somewhat inexpensive, and bulbs are cheap for them, I see NO BENEFIT to 'Motolights' mounted on either one's brake calipers or tubes..... And a brighter bulb in our headlamp is a mere Band Aid offering ONLY brighter light, NOT improved light distribution.

I kept the high beam bulb stock, I wanted to keep the flash capability (an HID light will not flash).

Yes the lights are both 55W stock (high and low beam). HIDs make a HUGE difference and are MUCH brighter. :rider:

I have also mounted driving lights under the faring, they look great (IMHO) and are functional as well. I bought them at WalMart for under $20.

I never drive faster than the speed of the light coming from my headlights, so the light distribution has not been a problem for me... :trust:

And it is for this reason that I find the Bandit's light distribution lacking.

If/when I ever spend money to improve the light by which to ride by, it will be on a pair of PIAA's mounted no lower then our turn signals. Though novel, somewhat inexpensive, and bulbs are cheap for them, I see NO BENEFIT to 'Motolights' mounted on either one's brake calipers or tubes..... And a brighter bulb in our headlamp is a mere Band Aid offering ONLY brighter light, NOT improved light distribution.

i AGREE. hOWEVER, HAVE YOU TRIED ADJUSTING THE HEADLIGHTS?[blankety, blank caps lok!] I need to try adjusting mine too. Maybe we could do it together when you come up to help me mount the new HID's?!

Wally,
(I'll be doing a road trip via 36 to your part of paradise someday!)

I have never had more difficulty adjusting my headlamp as I have the Bandit's. I've been adjusting my motorcycle headlamps for years by getting the low beam as I high as I could.... just short of shining/reflecting my light into the eyes of the car in front of me around town and drifting up to him at a stop. It's been pretty effective at getting me max' low beam coverage without annoying oncoming cars and closing in on cars ahead of me. The result has been a high beam that extends out as far as possible without drifting up into the night sky.
-- That doesn't work with the Bandit --
What I've ended up doing is, first adjust for max' coverage via the high beam....
then compromise when/if I find my low beam is inappropriately placed. I believe my headlamp is pretty good where it's at, but I'm still annoyed that not enough light bleeds off the sides to illuminate curving freeway off-ramps & on-ramps.

Dude, you got some HID's!?! Yeppers, would love to see the improvement they offer over my old fashion bulbs.
(dang, I'm gonna be late if I don't fly out the door to work!)
Ciao!

I pretty much concur with Twist. There's no comparison. I would not go with 35s. The 55s are much brighter. Not sure if there is such a thing as too bright as long as they aren't shining in oncoming eyeballs. The Bandit works well with HIDs. The pattern is defined and can be adjusted so that they don't offend, but man are they bright. I've had them in for about 8000 miles over the last riding season and don't recall being flashed once - except when I was slow to turn off the high beam :giveup:.

I put 55s on both hi and low. I haven't missed the hi beam flashing capability myself. Yes, there is a 3 or 4 second delay to big brightness with the high beam. But man, when you have 55s on both with the hi beams on, you can't hardly believe how far down the road these things will light it up. Late at night or out on the open road they are just outstanding.

The other major benefit I've noticed is that when riding in the daytime with hi and lo on, cars see you much sooner and they pause when they notice you which really reduces the # of people pulling out in front of you. It was a very noticeable change.

My 2 cents is get the 55s on both, I think you'll be glad you did. If you don't like the hi, just put the halogen lamp back in and keep the second set as spares (they're pretty reasonably priced too), but I've got 5 bux that says you'll like 'em on both.

Now I'm considering HIDs...

Well they really do make a huge difference, they are cheap (compared to other mods) and were easy enough to install.

I am very happy with this mod - I highly recommend it. :zen:

This is one of the best mods Ive done to a bike. Besides being able to see way farther down the road at night the other benifit is being seen better duing the day. The cost is resonable, installation is easy, and besides working great they look cool. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to do this again and will now have HIDs on any bike I buy.

Guess I'll find out on the lead time also. I'm ordering 4 HIDs for the ZX14. Can't imagine how bright that's going to be after having 2 on the Bandit.

Back