• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Hill Country 500: Nov 8-10, 2019

There are plenty of options for large campers. Check google maps and street view it shows the low water crossing and a tight 90 degree turn but I have towed our fifth wheel in and out several times without issue. I will also trim trees up to make room.

We have the land on both sides of the road so you have options. Will need to exercise normal caution for rocks etc. it is Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m hoping to make option 1 as well.

Registration sent in, planning on option 2. This will be my first chance meeting / riding with any of you all on this forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

🤞 that the forecast changes for the ride. As of now showing cool and rain all over the Hill Country.

Please please please be comfortable weather for the ride weekend :pray:

Long johns or go get those freeze outs at cycle gear just on case. Pain in the butt, but long johns always seem to do the job. Course I may have a little more insulation than others.

Another tip, scaring your self warms ya up too😲...😆

While I know this is Texas so long-range forecasts don’t mean anything, I sure don’t like the current forecast. Will wait till next week to make the rain call.

Aside from the rain possibility, the property is pretty much ready and looks fantastic, especially down by the creek. We have removed the old barbwire fence along the entire creek and spent a lot of time clearing it out. See a couple of pictures below.

There are a couple of items left to do that I could use some help with this weekend if anybody wants to come out and give a hand. Don’t need a lot of people, just a couple of good soles. Here is what I am hoping to get done, not in order of priority.

• Build an outdoor hot water shower. I have a bunch of 12”x12” cement squares, some 2x4’s and tarps. I am thinking of making a 4x8’ area with blocks and build a simple frame around to hold some tarps for privacy. Still need to find a location out by barn 2 someplace out of the way but close enough to water.
  • Design a big bike friendly skills area
    • Friday morning, I am picking up several used telephone poles from PEC in Marble Falls. I am thinking of cutting some down to 4’ lengths so we can use in various configurations to make different levels of challenges.
    • Friday I am picking up some materials to build a 20’ long teeter totter. Shouldn’t be too hard to build. Then we can play with different heights to work out something challenging enough but nothing to scary or dangerous. Don’t want to see any 500 lb. bikes fall from 10 feet up if you get my meaning.
    • Aside from the things above, I want to use cones, stakes, PVC or natural terrain to build a true useful practice area to build skills in slow turns, up and down little hills, side hills, acceleration and hard braking in dirt. (If all this is possible and other suggestions)
  • Finalize the camping / parking areas.
    • We have the lower pastures for cars, tents and motorcycle trailers. We also have the other side of the creek if anybody is interested, it has been cleared but has a few armadillo / fox holes that need to be filled in. I think Gina and JT have the tree house reserved!
    • There are a few people that have mentioned larger toy haulers or RV’s. There are two areas in the upper field that should work great. They are close enough to everyone but far enough away if they run generators, they won’t bother anyone. And easy in and out.
    • I do want to walk these areas and highlight any hidden dangerous like baby heads or holes with orange chem lights so they can be seen at night.
I think that is it, we are pretty much ready aside from these last-minute items. It would be helpful to have one or two people willing to help the day of the event to help guide the new arrivals to the parking / camping areas.

Lastly, if the weather holds, we have the same people from Main Street Grill catering the food for Friday night. Brisket, Borachio beans, typical sides and some type of desert. They will also supply large coffee pots for coffee in the morning, no more stupid KCups. We are working out logistics to get large steamer trays of eggs, chorizo, beans, tortillas. This should make a great breakfast station. Will post more when we get closer to the event.

Really looking forward to the event and hoping the weather cooperates.

Hi Mike, SpiritAtBay and I will be there Saturday to work.

Last edited:
I hope the weather holds, I was hoping for a warm ride, we are working on our third snow, it's supposed to be 16 in Amarillo tomorrow night.

SAB, I called PEC and they said its all changed now. I had to go through PEC Marble Falls now and they only let you pickup Friday mornings at 7:30AM. They are free, as many as you want, but I wish I could just go down the street to the JC yard. If you know someone at the JC yard let me know. FYI, sent you and JT an email.

I am really hoping the rain events push out a couple of days, that would be perfect. A touch of rain is fine, but 3 days, uggggg. We will make an official call by Wed of next week at the latest. Its Texas, if you wait 15 minutes the weather may change.

Bummer...for the 3rd year in a row...work is getting in the way of making this ride. 😩 I don't know if anyone is looking for a room in Junction, but I have one that I am going to cancel tonight at 7pm. It is at the Hill Country Inn in Junction. Two queen beds. If you have been trying to get a room...consider calling right after 7pm!

Bummer...for the 3rd year in a row...work is getting in the way of making this ride. 😩 I don't know if anyone is looking for a room in Junction, but I have one that I am going to cancel tonight at 7pm. It is at the Hill Country Inn in Junction. Two queen beds. If you have been trying to get a room...consider calling right after 7pm!

Do you mean the Hill Country Inn in Johnson City?

Dang it...thanks. You are correct. The Hill Country Inn in Johnson City! :pound:

Weatherbug currently shows 50% rain on Thursday, 30% Friday, and cloudy Saturday. Fingers crossed that we get just enough to keep the dust down and firm up the sandy bits :)

Weatherbug currently shows 50% rain on Thursday, 30% Friday, and cloudy Saturday. Fingers crossed that we get just enough to keep the dust down and firm up the sandy bits :)

As I recall, we had water in low water crossings last year. Perhaps this year will be more challenging.

I have an event in Tyler I will be camping at Friday night. I plan to come to Johnson city Saturday night to join the group there. I should be there around 4ish.

Mike what is the address or coordinates to your place?

795 old river crossing, Johnson city

Back