• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Hill Country 500: Nov 8-10, 2019

I can't answer your question since I haven't looked at the routes Richard laid out yet. I did want to add that last year at the last minute on Friday of the event a couple of us attempted to create a rudimentary adventure practice course that wasn't well used by more than a couple of riders. This year I am planning on have much better developed set of skills practice sections that will have both friendlier sections and more difficult sections. The idea is to use them on Friday and again on Saturday for those that decide to stay in J.C. for a second night.

Really hoping to find something to offer riders of all levels to have an opportunity to learn by doing or just watching others.

Should be good fun :)

I can't answer your question since I haven't looked at the routes Richard laid out yet. I did want to add that last year at the last minute on Friday of the event a couple of us attempted to create a rudimentary adventure practice course that wasn't well used by more than a couple of riders. This year I am planning on have much better developed set of skills practice sections that will have both friendlier sections and more difficult sections. The idea is to use them on Friday and again on Saturday for those that decide to stay in J.C. for a second night.

Really hoping to find something to offer riders of all levels to have an opportunity to learn by doing or just watching others.

Mike, I wanted to try out that trials bike so bad last november out there but I thought to myself, how am I going to go on the adv ride with a hurting foot shoulder etc after the crash . So my wiser self prevailed.

Mike, I wanted to try out that trials bike so bad last november out there but I thought to myself, how am I going to go on the adv ride with a hurting foot shoulder etc after the crash . So my wiser self prevailed.

but now, with a little more dirt experience under your belt, you're ready!

Rich,

What would you say the percentage of dirt vs. pavement Option 2 is? Sounds more dual sport like the Junction ride this past May? Thanks!

I'll try to arrive early to help.

As we get closer to the event I will reach out for some help. My plan is to start working on the training course design, build and test a.k.a. Play a couple of weeks ahead of time, on want to be rushing so much at the end like last year.

Hope we get the proper rains to snuff out the darn sticker burrs with lush green grasses in time for the event...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a maybe. You got room for a 37' "glamper"?

This sounds awesome, just the wrong dates and direction for me. I’d love to know the “Big Loop” route and ride it backwards since I live in Kerrville.

Rich,

What would you say the percentage of dirt vs. pavement Option 2 is? Sounds more dual sport like the Junction ride this past May? Thanks!

Unfortunately, the closer any ride starts to Austin the less dirt there is. Most of the roads between Austin and Fredericksburg have been paved so you typically have to go further west and/or north to reach a higher concentration of dirt.

We will spend about 25% of our riding time on dirt on Day 1 of the two day loop course. On Day 2 we will have about 50% of our riding time on dirt.

For the two out-and-back routes, Saturday has the most dirt. Figure about 50% of Saturday's riding time will be on dirt. Sunday will only have about 5% dirt.

Seeing as how we are dual sport riders, for the pavement sections of each route I have selected the twistiest, most remote and fun county roads while avoiding highways, cars, and civilization as much as possible.

Last edited:
Will there be any showers at Mike's ranch? I know they had portable potties last time, but how about showering if camping at Mikes?

Rob, I am going to experiment with a "portable" outdoor water heater. It uses propane to create an on-demand shower.

This is one of the pre-event chores that will get worked on (with help from some happy volunteers). Just need to decide on a location with some type of privacy and a clean floor so your toes stay clean while you change...

My plan is to also use this setup for fire ant management. I have been experimenting with a 5 gallon bucket of hot water, mix in a little dish soap and pour onto fire ant mounds. It seems to kill the mounds better than powder or bait and is non toxic. Figure with the 500 gallon water trailer and a setup like this should be able to cruse around hitting mound after mound. Maybe I am stupid, but I really hate buying all the poison and tossing it around.

Neat stuff. The. Hot water trick sounds plausible to reduce the plague of fire ants. Will require a continuous mgt effort to keep them out of your defined area of course.

Those demand heaters only work with clean quality water unfortunately . They will get froze up with the mineral precipitants after multiple heating cycles. That's pretty inexpensive however, I would not expect it to last.

Back