• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country DS Ride, Austin, Jan 10, 2015

...want nothing to do with locked gates and private property! I'm chicken,lol.

Just to be very clear - we are not going to be riding on private property, private roads, or trying to bypass locked gates. The entire route is on public roads.

The inclusion of a private road was my error - I did not notice during the creation of the route that Basecamp had routed us on a private road. I have corrected the error in the route.

Last edited:
Oh, heck. This looks like it might make. If I can make it, I will be on KilLeR. Ain't she purty?

https://vimeo.com/114691648

ee9d62b285268ab6b33e09b3b3f2b611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like that purty bike is yelling, "Don't fence me in!"

I've been watching this thread, I wanna go but maybe not if it has "RTB easy dirt" (because I am not up to that standard yet.) Nor do I want to slow anybody down.

Anyone familiar with the route and familiar with my riding that can advise me?

It may all be moot if I can't get that sat off work.

Thanks,

:rider:

Anyone know of some dirt routes for the return trip? If so, let me know. I'd be in if we can keep the slab to a minimum.

Only dirt roads left in the area run north of 1323, most challenging one runs from 16 to althuis-davis road, closer to 71, small section of dirt left on smith-west road, the road from round mouintain to 1323 is all paved now.

Might be in, Richard has put together some great rides.

What percentage of dirt are we riding? Neither of my bikes will run 200 miles to a tank, is that really a deal breaker? I'd rather ride the KTM if it's mostly dirt, or the Duc if it's mostly pavement.

What percentage of dirt are we riding? Neither of my bikes will run 200 miles to a tank, is that really a deal breaker? I'd rather ride the KTM if it's mostly dirt, or the Duc if it's mostly pavement.

The unfortunate reality of the Texas hill country is that there are very few dirt roads within 50 miles of Austin. The other thing is that most of the dirt roads within 150 miles of Austin are class 1 and easy class 2.

Accordingly, this ride will be about a 80/20 pavement to dirt ratio. And the dirt we will be riding will be class 1 and 2 with a few low water crossings.

Your fuel range is in no way a deal breaker. You will pass a gas station about 35 miles into the ride and it is in a location that is perfect for the group to take a break and for those who need it to top off their tanks. Beyond that it shouldn't be a problem for any group to slightly deviate from the route to get gas in Fredericksburg or immediately after leaving Luckenbach.

A bad weather/rain decision will be made Friday evening and posted here so be sure to check this thread if there is a chance of bad weather on ride day.

...too early to tell, however weather.com has a 60 percent chance of showers during ride day etc. - do you have an alternative date in mind just in case?

Tomorrow looks sunny 60 and perfect!

flipmeister.gif

RB

...too early to tell, however weather.com has a 60 percent chance of showers during ride day etc. - do you have an alternative date in mind just in case?
RB

Bad weather is always the main challenge this time of year.

I don't have an alternative date in mind so if the ride does get cancelled due to weather I'm not expecting to reschedule this ride. Instead, Brian and I will come up with a date for the next ride.

Just a heads up. Some portions of the route that I have seen go through private property with locked gates. I sent a PM to Trail Boss. I have first hand knowledge because part of the route goes through our ranch and some other family members places. Late anterless and doe season is also in effect Jan 5th-18th in many of the counties on the route. I plan on attending but will be exercising caution.

It has been my experience that unless you are riding before 10am, or after 3pm, you are not likely to encounter hunters.

I'm in. See you there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my group is going to drop out - sounds like a bit more pavement than we expected, and JQ1.0 has his new KDX to try out, so we will probably just ride trails (if it doesn't rain on us)..

Riders,

It's not looking good - the forecast for Saturday is a high of 36 and a chance of snow. If the forecast doesn't change appreciably this ride will be cancelled.

:eek2::nana: You ain't no Wuss!!! :trust:
See ya next time

I'm trying to get smarter Rick. By taking the available info and making an informed decision. Unlike I did last year for the Big Bend 500 !
Drove 15 hours through an Ice Storm to nearly freeze to death in Big Bend.
Clark still won't talk to me. :rider:

Back