• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country highlights - the best roads of the Texas hill country

Thanks for the video on Threadgill. It looks like a fairly good road for someone to take without any real dirt experience. I have a Tiger 900 GT Pro that came stock with some Metzler Tourance street tires. Would you advise riding that road with those tires? I really want to try some dirt, but to be honest it will be less than 5% of all of my riding. None of my friends that I ride with have bikes made to ride dirt. What kind of tire would you recommend that would give a bit more traction on dirt but still be mostly roadworthy. I do love to lean in the corners!

I have a Tiger 900 Rally Pro. In my opinion, get the Dunlop Trailmax Missions.

I have the rear on my bike and I'm surprised how street like it feels and how well it hooks up off pavement.

I have a Tiger 900 GT Pro that came stock with some Metzler Tourance street tires. Would you advise riding that road with those tires? I really want to try some dirt, but to be honest it will be less than 5% of all of my riding. None of my friends that I ride with have bikes made to ride dirt. What kind of tire would you recommend that would give a bit more traction on dirt but still be mostly roadworthy. I do love to lean in the corners!

The Tourances aren't really a street tire by strict definition. More like 90/10 dual sport tire.

I've ran a few of them (the originals) on big bikes over the years and they're perfectly adequate on gravel roads. The front does tend to want to "hunt" a bit which is a little disconcerting but no big deal if your not trying to ride like a complete donkey.

The easiest way to keep the front from hunting like that is to replace it (just the front) with a TKC80. That's my choice but I suppose any aggressive dirt tire would help to some extent or another. The TKC maintains good grip on pavement too so I stick with it. They last about as long as my rear tire usually.

If they'll keep the front of my big GS planted then your Tiger should be even better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
c15f647256b929bc2f4728dfb0387994.jpg

The easiest way to keep the front from hunting like that is to replace it (just the front) with a TKC80. That's my choice but I suppose any aggressive dirt tire would help to some extent or another. The TKC maintains good grip on pavement too so I stick with it. They last about as long as my rear tire usually.

If they'll keep the front of my big GS planted then your Tiger should be even better.

I tried that with my Tiger 900 Rally Pro. Stock 90/10 on rear, Bridgestone AX41 (like TKC80) on front and it was actually worse in the dirt than the stock tires. It was all over the place. Granted, suspension tuning could have played a factor there.

Since then I've moved to a Trailmax Mission on the rear and an Anakee Wild (like TKC80, but better) on the front and it tracks really well, even when I go into complete donkey mode.

Based on how well the rear Trailmax Mission is doing, I'm considering pulling my Anakee Wild in the front and going full Trailmax Missions at this point. Then I'll put on the full Anakee Wild set back on if I need to take a trip where more traction is needed.

I tried that with my Tiger 900 Rally Pro. Stock 90/10 on rear, Bridgestone AX41 (like TKC80) on front and it was actually worse in the dirt than the stock tires. It was all over the place. Granted, suspension tuning could have played a factor there.

Since then I've moved to a Trailmax Mission on the rear and an Anakee Wild (like TKC80, but better) on the front and it tracks really well, even when I go into complete donkey mode.

Based on how well the rear Trailmax Mission is doing, I'm considering pulling my Anakee Wild in the front and going full Trailmax Missions at this point. Then I'll put on the full Anakee Wild set back on if I need to take a trip where more traction is needed.

Now that's interesting. I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to tires I guess. I've avoided the Anakee Wild due to wear concerns with the more directional tread pattern. I flip the TKC around at each oil change to wear the other side of the knobs....

Can you elaborate on how the it was worse in the dirt when you had the AX41 on the front? By "all over the place" do you mean the rear end just felt loose?

Edit: I refreshed myself on the AX41. The rows look spaced out more on it than a TKC or Anakee Wild. I've encountered lateral or side to side traction issues with the Shinko 805 that's on the back of my 500X and it's wider spacing. Not what I'd want in a front tire....

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on how the it was worse in the dirt when you had the AX41 on the front? By "all over the place" do you mean the rear end just felt loose?
Easiest way to describe it was that it felt like it was in sand when it was not.

Due to the street-like rake, the Tigers are a little more prone to this than other ADV bikes. The 900 is better than the 800 in that regard as they increased the rake and other things to offset it.

For someone on a Tiger that wants to do mostly street but also wants the ability to feel confident on basic dirt roads, those Trailmax Mission tires seem to be a good fit.

Easiest way to describe it was that it felt like it was in sand when it was not.

Due to the street-like rake, the Tigers are a little more prone to this than other ADV bikes. The 900 is better than the 800 in that regard as they increased the rake and other things to offset it.

For someone on a Tiger that wants to do mostly street but also wants the ability to feel confident on basic dirt roads, those Trailmax Mission tires seem to be a good fit.

Very interesting. I wouldn't like a bike that handled like it was in sand all day. I mean, just imagine how it might feel in actual sand!

The Trailmax Mission tires do look like good tires.

Very interesting. I wouldn't like a bike that handled like it was in sand all day. I mean, just imagine how it might feel in actual sand!
Easily solved by more aggressive tires and suspension tuning. After that, it flies down dirt roads and such as fast as any bike I've owned or ridden.

I haven't ridden it in sand yet, but I'd have to try really hard to find sand anyway. I plan on taking it to East Texas in the fall and will likely find out then.

Just dawned on me that we are derailing this thread. Let's take the tire talk over here:

I have been riding the 1190 with different tires for the last 2 years riding TARA tax and TARA sa and big bend stuff. The big bike can be harder to handle especially if you have a wide 19 in front like I have on mine. Any tire is going to make you feel like you have a flat tire when you it the squish deep surface. Yes you can go fast and plow to it but you have to be comfortable, 500pound bike can kick your butt when you crash. The Kenda Big Block are really good, Mitas 010 excellent, but if you like to twists and push the throttle and fully the HP from big bike can give you with a 100F asphalt this is going to be a under 2000k tire, Traction control is going to save you some rubber.
I have change 3 rear in one years of riding and I only ride the weekend. I have a set up now that I have the Mitas 010 in the front and a Dunlop Trail Mission in the back, it a nice combo, the Trail Mission is very good and dirt and asphalt it really feel like a good balance, and it doesn't melt looking at it. I think what would help is to have a 21 in the front narrower, this would anchor and help stabilize the bike in the dirt, but the carve cannon affect would be reduce :(, but to really be honest the big bike are good for nice touring and some dirt road, of course you can go

where the some small bike go, but when you do crash to price ticket for part is more money.

Easily solved by more aggressive tires and suspension tuning. After that, it flies down dirt roads and such as fast as any bike I've owned or ridden.

I haven't ridden it in sand yet, but I'd have to try really hard to find sand anyway. I plan on taking it to East Texas in the fall and will likely find out then.

Just dawned on me that we are derailing this thread. Let's take the tire talk over here:

I can always derail a conversation talking about tires. I'm always looking for a better mousetrap... haven't found one yet. Except maybe the CB....:giveup:

I'm a dual sport adventure rider - which means I like great paved roads just as much as I like fun dirt roads. Lucky for me (and all you other dual sport adventure riders out there) the Texas hill country has lots of superb paved roads for our riding enjoyment. Roads like Centerpoint between Fredericksburg and Comfort, TX.

Did the Texas Overland trail this past weekend - pretty good.
Only water was James river - and was low.
No pics/videos though - about 140 mile trip.
Start in Fredericksburg
End on 71
Detour to Mason for fuel in middle - mile 76
Mile markers/distances = approximate.
0 0 - FrederickBurg 16/Lower Crabapple
15 10 R 965
15.8 0.8 L Welgehausen
19.5 2.5 R Keese
21.0 1.5 L Keese Sagebiel
24.8 3.8 L 2323
25.3 0.5 R Cherry Spring
29.3 1.8 - Doss Cherry Spring - cross 87
33.5 4.2 R 648
36.0 2.5 R Lange Mill
37.5 1.5 R Jack Rabbit
41.8 4.3 L Threadgill Creek
45.5 3.7 - Geistweidt - cross 783
47.4 1.9 R Onion Creek
49.8 2.4 L Salt Branch
50.5 0.7 R Salt Branch
58.3 7.8 R Salt Branch
59.0 0.7 R James River
71.8 12.8 L Schep Creek/2389
76.6 4.8 R 1723/Simonsville
87.0 10.4 - cross 783
91.0 4 R 87
93.5 2.5 L Keyserville
93.6 0.1 R 2242
94.2 0.6 L House Mountain / Loyal Valley
103.5 9.3 L 2323
108 4.5 R 112
112 4 R 113
119 7 L 16
119.4 0.4 R 315
125.4 6 L 315
125.6 0.2 L 315
131.4 5.8 R 308
133.3 1.9 L 310
139 5.7 R 71

Your route here brought back some awesome memories that I have a question about. Where the Cherry Spring crossover of hwy 87 occurs, what's the historical plaque about? I had to do a Google street view of the intersection because that spot is an historic part of my motorcycle life. It marks the the first day of motorcycle ownership when I just turned 18.

If this is not the appropriate place to post this, I apologize and someone can move it. You notice that little closed gas station building there at that intersection? I spent the first night of the first day of motorcycle ownership in the back of an old, inoperative Chrysler product station wagon parked beside that building. I was 18 in high school, January 1970, and living in Blanket, TX and had "almost" saved up enough money to buy a motorcycle. A fellow classmate out of the blue said he had also saved enough money, and he too wanted to buy a motorcycle. He had an old '56 Oldsmobile, and we got another classmate to drive the car back from San Antonio while we rode these "hoped-to-be-purchasing" motorcycles. I was originally from SA and knew of a place we could sleep the night before our hoped for purchases...my grandparents driveway in SA, as they were at their trailer house outside of Comfort, TX.

We were skipping school the next day, and drove to SA after school. We spent the night in the Olds, hardly sleeping due to all the excitement and anticipation. It was a mild, almost warm couple of days for January. We arrived at a Suzuki dealership on Broadway that wasn't open yet. I had called ahead doing some research, and this dealership had the most affordable bike in the 350cc range that we could afford. When they opened, Gary had enough cash to purchase his bike outright, a blue 1970 Suzuki Rebel T350. I wanted the white version they had but was $180 short for out-the-door. I called my uncle in town who co-signed a 6-month note with the dealership, but this put us heading out town in late afternoon. I believe the date was 1-20-70.

Neither Gary nor I really knew how to ride a motorcycle...yes...I said that...LOL! We practiced in the alley behind the shop, and then headed out into SA traffic on Broadway street...and didn't die...LOL! The day was beautiful, and we literally rode in t-shirts...in January...until Fredericksburg. We didn't know about checking weather, etc. It was a freakin' blue norther that was fortunately a dry event, but the temps must have nose dived like crazy. The wind was so fierce head-on that it sucked my bubble face shield right off, and I couldn't find it. In that short stint from Fredericksburg to Cherry Spring, we were almost frozen. Even our new motorcycle enthusiasm wasn't enough to save us. It was cold...fast. I had brought my grandad's zip-up leather jacket that had a thin insulating layer and his leather gloves with some slight padding. Gary had a some kind of Buffalo Bill style fringe jacket that buttoned up...no gloves...he was really hurting...and my face was hurting.

We pulled into that building at the intersection of hwy 87 and Cherry Spring which was a cafe and gas station, no other customers. An older couple who appeared to be the owners took pity on us as we tried to warm up. We literally only had enough money to buy gas for the return trip to Blanket. The couple gave us hot chocolate and free food...talk about good samaritans. Out of the blue, the couple told us we'd better not continue in our condition and offered up a load of blankets and the back of the inoperative station wagon parked next to the building. Oh yeah!...we took it. So, two 18-year old guys huddled up in the confines of the back of that station wagon and actually slept like the dead with a huge pile of blankets on us. And no...we didn't spoon...the blankets were adequate...LOL!

The cafe folks gave us a breakfast, and we headed out...having to rub the frost off our saddles. I was miserable, but Gary was absolutely hurting. We stopped at what appeared to be an abandoned feed store just down the road from Cherry spring, and I wrapped Gary's hands with a pair of old burlap sacks and bailing wire. We continued on with a few other stories of misery making our way home finally...frozen, but no actual frostbite. With a start like this, I don't know why I continued on with my foolish pursuit of motorcycles, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid...LOL!

I can't believe that old station/cafe building is still there...probably been closed for decades. In days past when I went by that location when it was still open in the 70's, I should have stopped and once again thanked those folks, but I regret I never did. I feel bad about that. My later trips to SA involved another route so I haven't seen that location in several decades. Thanks for posting that route here, madagwane. That looks like a lot of fun. In June I bought a Kawasaki Z650, and I think I'll pursue a ride in that area and take all or most of that route. I use a plated KLX300 for my dirt adventures and haven't had a pure street bike since the mid-'80's. It's fun to have a decent pavement bike again.

So when any of you riders go by that location, think of two poor souls who had their first painful motorcycle experience at that location in Cherry Springs...LOL! Hey!...that historical marker isn't about our epic motorcycle adventure?...is it?...LOL!

Awesome. Putting on my list for my next SW Austin-Wimberly-Blanco loop. Somehow missed it last time. Thanks for the video and info!

In times when the water is flowin....
Arrent the slabs kinda slicky on Lil Blanco?

Like all the ones on Loudon jus west of Fredericksburg

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

In times when the water is flowin....
Arrent the slabs kinda slicky on Lil Blanco?

Like all the ones on Loudon jus west of Fredericksburg

That hasn't been my experience. There have been a few times in the past 10 years when the slabs were slick, but more often than not they have not been the "algae-covered slime monster waiting to destroy poor unsuspecting motorcyclists" like those on Loudon. As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Keyserville Road is a very special hill country road. Special how? Sand. And lots of it. Depending on the weather and time of year the sand can either be shallow or deep but there is always sand.

It's not a great choice for a street-bike but it sure is good training for any dual sport or adventure bike rider.

Rich

Looks like it was in good shape when you rode this. Did you do these videos recently by yourself? I missed out on this road last Fall at the Johnson City rally. Will have to go back and do this.

I have made all the videos in the last 2 months or so.

Keyserville was in good shape the day I rode it for the video with shallow sand.

Heres a link to the old map thread started in 2009...
Non Invasive Dirt Roads Around Austin

I cant seem ta get the Google map to show all the roads that were added by various folks (including me at one time) & some pics dont show up....but there is still some good info in the thread...

For the Google map...
Try this link...

Last edited:
I have been working on my video skills lately, mostly by making highlight videos of some of the great motorcycling roads in the hill country and thought I would share a few here.

The first is a six minute video highlight of the superb Threadgill Creek Road - one of the many do-not-miss public dirt roads in the hill country.
"
"
enjoyed that
Any .gpx files you can share

Back