• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country Serv Yo’self Part Deux Nov 4-6 2022

Watching thread.. Interested but have a lot going on over the next few weeks and don't want to overcommit just yet. :)

I rode Gina and JT's Part Uno and will be returning to Kerrville Nov 1st or so. I should be able to get my stuff in a pile in time to ck out on the DR for a couple of days!
PS: Last month I rode the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT). WOW that was some great roads/2 tracks. I am wanting to ride BDR's and so far have ridden this and the COBDR '18. My opinion the TWAT has more curvacious "roads"...but no mountains.

I rode Gina and JT's Part Uno and will be returning to Kerrville Nov 1st or so. I should be able to get my stuff in a pile in time to ck out on the DR for a couple of days!
PS: Last month I rode the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT). WOW that was some great roads/2 tracks. I am wanting to ride BDR's and so far have ridden this and the COBDR '18. My opinion the TWAT has more curvacious "roads"...but no mountains.
I have heard the TWAT is sandy in spots. True?

I would say I have an Ammophobia (irrational fear of sand), but there is nothing irrational about my sandy fear.

Short Answer...No sand!
Really, I got on it at Park Falls, WI and rode south. So I rode all but the top 50 miles or so to Lake Superior. Yes I have seen the picture of dudes flailing away in knee deep sand and was looking for that. I am really good at following GPS tracks and can tell what's ahead or what exactly I might be in the middle of. South of Park Falls the track leaves the "road" and goes onto an ATV/ORV route. Three times to be specific. It is in an area with many off road routes and the "maker" choose to make these excursions. The first two were kind of rocky and included large, long puddles. By myself I walked/sticked the first one and found they (all) had rock hard bottoms. Plus I could see the tracks of a couple of bikes that went past me earlier in the day. BUT additionally, there was a great gravel road pretty much along side much of these two sections. Now for the third one. I could see the track "horseshoed" off the southerly road I was on and came back too it. Another ATV/ORV section. This started as a terribly rutted side by side 2 lane that I NEW was nothing I wanted to experience and figure had to have the sand on it. It was probably 6 miles long back to the same road. I turned around after an 8th of a mile.
Starting about Sparta, WI heading south on the twat you first enter the Driftless area of WI which encompasses the entire SW corner of the state. The last glacier failed to mow this area flat and is fantastic, accessible hilly riding. The middle of the state, maybe 3 hrs, is typical midwest open agricultural riding, then into varied terrian with many lakes and northern woods. By myself I averages about 250-300 miles per day. I finished a MT21 front. Found a Dunlop 605 (like a shinko 700, which I use) at Prairie Due Chien motorsports. I handed them my empty wheel and they handed it back with new tire. Transformed the handling which had gotten really squirrelly (on gravel!) with the oddly worn MT21. I need the more aggressive knobby tire for all the sand I ride in MI but for the TWAT a Shinko 244 type tire would be great. Right now I'm liking (front/rear) for Texas a Shinko 700/705 and in Mchigan Perilli MT21, Shinko 244. Think I got those tire numbers right....

Thats actually a similar tire combo to what we used on the xr65or in utah. Mt21 or 605s were required. Could push 1100 miles of off road from them if gentle on them which i always was to not have a get-off 50 miles from assistance..

Reactions: JMZ
Yes 1st experience with MT21. around 2k miles. If new would have made it fine. This ride was a big confidence builder for me solo on the DR. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a personal locator beacon (PLB).
ACR / Ocean rescueME PLB1.

I will be in a truck camper at Schreiner Park by Thursday afternoon, spot 208. I (Multistrada) will be joined by Russ (Triumph 900) that same afternoon and Ross (T12) on Friday evening. We plan to ride pavement this go-round and generally do high-mileage days at a brisk pace, hitting all the best twisties and scenic CRs. If you would like to join us Friday and/or Saturday, give me a shout and we'll hook up. Nine-zero-three, 243, four seven eight-eight (is that still a thing?).

If you're at Schreiner Park, I will look like this:

rig.jpg

Have a stock tank on my 2014 KTM 450XCW. Should be able to do 90 miles, but I always strap on extra too. When will ride be done on Friday? Approximately? Live in Harper. I will trailer bike down to Ingram, and leave trailer at Walmart or somewhere.

Have a stock tank on my 2014 KTM 450XCW. Should be able to do 90 miles, but I always strap on extra too. When will ride be done on Friday? Approximately? Live in Harper. I will trailer bike down to Ingram, and leave trailer at Walmart or somewhere.
In post #1 in this thread I threw out the below. That's a goods starting point if noone else chimes in to your question. Thanks

Friday—I probably won’t do any riding Friday, other than getting my hiney over that way. I will be around if someone wants to hang out some that evening. Those that are making a long weekend of it, probably good to throw out a meet up point now…..meet up Friday morning 07:30am at Rita’s in Ingram. Or not. Make your own plans.

Me and 3 others Mississippi Texan, F350 and Dannyboy are coming up on Thursday riding 280 mile DS ride from Canyon Lake area to Kerrville. We are doing a 400 mile loop on Friday and another 280!loop north of 10 Saturday. We are staying at Best Western in Kerrville Thursday and Friday night. Will be heading back home on Saturday ride.

Me and 3 others Mississippi Texan, F350 and Dannyboy are coming up on Thursday riding 280 mile DS ride from Canyon Lake area to Kerrville. We are doing a 400 mile loop on Friday and another 280!loop north of 10 Saturday. We are staying at Best Western in Kerrville Thursday and Friday night. Will be heading back home on Saturday ride.
Better get a handful of muscle relaxers ready. Or, just be on GS's.

Shellie and I plan to RV at Schriener Park #201. Arriving Thursday.
Bringing the DR-650, I think.

I'm in. Schreiner Park #209. Arriving Thursday.

Back