• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Historic Texas Courthouses

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
txchbookzk7.jpg

My wife knew how much I enjoy seeing the old courthouses and gave me this book for Christmas. Now I'm going to have to do a little more traveling by truck or find me a D/S bike to see all of them in person.

THAT is cool!! I may have to go looking for a copy of that.

I haven't had much of a chance to look at the book due to work and visiting with the family but what little I've seen of it is great.

241 out of 254 so far ... Only the upper Panhandle and a few scattered about remain. Although I had to start over, I don't count a county unless I lave looped around the courthouse and have digital photos of it. Therefore I started over when I got my first digital camera, Christmas five years ago.

I carry a copy of The Courthouses of Texas: A Guide (Paperback) with me. I just checked on Amazon and they are on drugs or something ... $125.25 and only two copies are available!

If you can locate a copy, it is a great book for sitting beside your Texas Almanac ... you do have a copy of the Texas Almanac, don't you?

Ahh, people after my own heart. I have digital photos of several courthouses and old churches that I've come across on my rides. On one ride last week, I saw 4 more.

Enjoy!

Teeds said:
241 out of 254 so far ... Only the upper Panhandle and a few scattered about remain.

Hey Teeds, I'm not far behind you. It has been fun. 48 to go.

Janet

Attachments

• texas-county-map.jpg
    texas-county-map.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 305
Anyone ever check out courthouses in other states?

Only if the local constabulary takes me there. :doh: :mrgreen:

Didn't somebody start a thread a while back with pictures of courthouses? I am thinking there is one someplace. :rider:

Tourmeister said:
Anyone ever check out courthouses in other states?

I've done a little, very little but so far nothing that stands up to some of the ones here in Texas. I did get to visit the "Death Chamber" in a couple of Louisiana courthhouses both of which were from the Long era.

Janet:

Please, Please, Please tell me how you made your map. I would love to have one of those!

I think she missed this unless she sent it to you privately. She sent me the GIF file she uses - she just runs it through MS Paint & fills the county with black. If she OKs it, I'll make it available here. (she said it was OK)

In the meantime, I found some files available on the net:

a PDF file of the counties, rotated to print landscape here.

A JPEG image - this one is upright - here.

And here is a list I made of the counties and county seats. First part is alphabetical list of the towns that are county seats, second part is alphabetical by county.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Here is the Court house in my home town of Norwich, NY. The photo's were taken on 9/1/07.

Thanks for posting that Rich. It looks very nice.

I am headed out tomorrow to get most of the rest of the one I need. I'm headed to the panhandle and will stay gone till I finish up there. That will leave me with just 14 to go. :clap:
See ya,
JR

Nice courthouse, Rich. I am really enjoying searching out the Texas ones - there are quite a few that are very cool.

Have a good trip, Janet. Don't forget a picture of the mule when you get the Muleshoe courthouse... :lol2:

Well, here is the tail of the tape as of today, Sunday Oct 26.

texas-county-map.jpg

See y'all in a few days.
Janet

Hey Tony, here are a few....

Uvalde
Uvalde.jpg

Maverick
Maverick.jpg

Kinney
Kinney.jpg

Edwards
Edwards.jpg

Crockett
Crockett.jpg

THE END
texas-county-map-1.jpg

I will have a few "do overs" to do for a while. Such as:
DeWitt.jpg

and
Zapata.jpg

I thank you.

It was an adventure.
I wish I had kept track of the mileage each trip. I have been looking back over the numbers and find that I got 137 of them in 2005. Not bad....
69 in 2006, 34 in 2007 (the 3 day Panhandle trip in September), and the 14 this past Monday and Tuesday.

Now that I am done, it seems kind of anti-climatic....:(

Back