• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hitch mount carriers.

My only comment is make REAL sure you use quality straps with full hooks. Even better, get the ones that have a built in soft tie that loops around and comes back on itself to a secure connection so they cannot come undone, even if things are really bouncing. I have seen regular S hook straps go loose if you hit a big bump. Other than that, so long as the vehicle can handle that tongue weight without making the front end get light, go for it.

My only comment is make REAL sure you use quality straps with full hooks. Even better, get the ones that have a built in soft tie that loops around and comes back on itself to a secure connection so they cannot come undone, even if things are really bouncing. I have seen regular S hook straps go loose if you hit a big bump. Other than that, so long as the vehicle can handle that tongue weight without making the front end get light, go for it.

I have a lot of experience with tie downs/rigging stuff in trailers. Quality straps are indeed essential. I also agree with your wisdom about the soft tie loop ones. I have several sets of Harley branded ones that are among the best I have ever found. That makes sense, really heavy bikes that people keep really clean.

I have a fantastic new mall crawler/potential bro-dozer in the guise of a stock 18 Z71 half ton. It will pull this duty well.

Just trying to get away from using a little utility trailer and bed loading was never a good idea.

I have a 600lb carrier that has hauled everything from a KTM 390 on up to my GSXR-750 for track/race days.

I've had 0 issues with it. Of course... tie down issues are of utmost importance, but I also recommend getting the small anti-rocking attachment. It keeps it all from wobbling around in your hitch reciever.

I have a 3 bike BigTex MC35 motorcycle trailer that's great for traveling with buddies and their bikes & equipment... but if it's just me, the hitch mount is perfect.

I usually use it with my Tahoe... but here it is on my daughter's 2000 Grand Cherokee with original (18 year old) stock suspension... picking up her SV650 in Oklahoma and driving it back to Texas. Some sag, but not excessive... and it rode great.

I really like that generation of SV650s, especially in that color! My wife had one and I would often sneak it out for rides because it was just so much stinking fun!! :rider:

I really like that generation of SV650s, especially in that color! My wife had one and I would often sneak it out for rides because it was just so much stinking fun!! :rider:
Thanks!
I bought it from a forum member for $750 with only 7900 miles... But, it hadn't run in almost 10 years.

Me and @2WheelNut have been working on it since October to get it running and it top shape for my daughter's birthday which we are celebrating tomorrow.

We've put new tires, new fluids, rebuilt and bled the brakes, new grips, bar end mirrors, Woodcraft spools & sliders, and thanks to Dave's carb skills... we rebuilt the carbs, and have it purring like a kitten now. Got the plate and inspection for it, and we put it through its paces on some south-of-the-metroplex back roads last weekend. Had a ball... and she runs like a top.

Probably have about $1200 in her now. Final detailing tomorrow afternoon before the birthday reveal tomorrow evening.

She has no idea about it yet. 😉

Check out Discount Ramps on the Black Widow carriers. 10% discount on current prices but you will pay shipping.

I'm using the Black Widow SMC-600R carrier which is rated at 600 lbs. It looks identical to the carrier that GLFlyer posted above.

Seems to be a solid carrier at a decent price although I did upgrade the cheap fasteners to grade 8 hardware including the eye bolts.

I bought the aluminum harbor freight one from a member in San Marcos. I used it for the first time to pick up my husky 701 (350lb) and it worked great for a 100 mile trip back home. I could have easily put it on the back of my flatbed truck but woulda had fun getting it off at the house with no ramp. I think the 600lb version would be even better for peace of mind.

Tourmeister: "I have seen regular S hook straps go loose if you hit a big bump." If I have to use open S hooks without soft ties, I always stretch a bungee cord between the two S hooks.

Tourmeister: "I have seen regular S hook straps go loose if you hit a big bump." If I have to use open S hooks without soft ties, I always stretch a bungee cord between the two S hooks.
I do the same thing ;-)

Thanks!
I bought it from a forum member for $750 with only 7900 miles... But, it hadn't run in almost 10 years.

Me and @2WheelNut have been working on it since October to get it running and it top shape for my daughter's birthday which we are celebrating tomorrow.

We've put new tires, new fluids, rebuilt and bled the brakes, new grips, bar end mirrors, Woodcraft spools & sliders, and thanks to Dave's carb skills... we rebuilt the carbs, and have it purring like a kitten now. Got the plate and inspection for it, and we put it through its paces on some south-of-the-metroplex back roads last weekend. Had a ball... and she runs like a top.

Probably have about $1200 in her now. Final detailing tomorrow afternoon before the birthday reveal tomorrow evening.

She has no idea about it yet. 😉
You've been holding out on us. Great bike and impressive loading too

I chose something that is simple and uses a jack to lift the platform and bike. The weight of my XR is much less than the rated load. Ultimate MX Hauler.227522

Get something like this...

SpringLink-S.jpg

And hook it through the hole on your S hook, and also through the tie down point like in the red circles in the grainy very cropped photo below. It'll never disconnect.

TieDown-L.jpg

I chose something that is simple and uses a jack to lift the platform and bike. The weight of my XR is much less than the rated load. Ultimate MX Hauler.View attachment 227522
I use an MX Hauler as well, I like it. My truck is tall and I'm short so using a ramp style carrier adds circus to the process that I don't need in my life. The MXH is safer for me.

My concern carrying a street bike with this would be the capacity (I know some guys have hauled some heavy dirt bikes on it). I'd make extra certain I'm within range, otherwise good to go. And definitely get your tie downs correct. You need to secure the bike to the Hauler then run ties in a 45 to the corner of the frame/bumper, as wide as you can get the secure point. I'll say it's breath taking so see the bike bounce around back there when you're going quickly on a bad road :nono:

I built my hitch carrier back in the mid 80s , hauled dirt bikes and a klr on it for years , two strips of angle iron with a wheel stop built on one end . Heavy square tube to fit the receiver and a bar welded a couple feet away that slips under the bumper to stabilize it that doesn’t fit anything now since I sold the truck I built it to fit years ago . I strap my bike wheels with ratchet straps and the bar straps are to stabilize it only and always have a bungy between the bar straps so they can’t unhook if it bounces and goes slack . Tires are a lot wider on the big bikes now so I don’t use it for them and have thought about building a new one , just haven’t really needed to bad enough yet .

I"m using the Ultimate MX Hauler as well for everything from a Sherco 2.9 to the X Challenge. Works fine. I've been thinking of making a work stand for it as well. They also have a similar one that supports the tires rather than the skid plate.

I"m using the Ultimate MX Hauler as well for everything from a Sherco 2.9 to the X Challenge. Works fine. I've been thinking of making a work stand for it as well. They also have a similar one that supports the tires rather than the skid plate.
OOh I've seen their ramp hauler, I like it. It's got a good capacity too - 450lbs and aimed at larger dirt and street bikes. If I were to get a new hauler I'd probably grab one of those. It's great that it loads to the ramp on the ground, then you just jack it up.

Here's a vid - the kind edit both haulers into this one vid so, kinda tricky

Oh yeah, lighting and LP...

I plan to add a taillight running/brake light LED strip to the platform edge so the tailgaters behind me can see the brake light/UMX. I'm going to fab up a connector to the 4pin harness so it's easy to connect. I got a brake light blinker strip LED but I haven't figured out how to connect it without buying an expensive convertor to separate the turn signal supply. I think that little adapter is like $40. So I might nix the blinker strip and do only red brake light. The brake and taillights on my truck are not obscured from behind. I'm simply doing this LED mod to add visibility / depth perception to the hauler at night. (My 13.5' kayak is much more of an issue so this is like small potatoes compared to it, but still)

Be aware that your LP is obscured with the bike loaded. It has not been an issue for me but I'm also trying to drive in a manner that would not place a police man behind me trying to read said LP. I suppose if you're concerned or in an area where it does become an issue you will need to find a mounting solution when you do haul.

Back