• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

hmm, interesting new Trumpet

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,
Every once in a while I look at what is new, especially in the retro bikes. Triumph came out with the Speed Twin fairly recently. It looks like a fantastic all rounder to me, and much refined. Yep, turns my head. Might have to go test ride on a cool morning? Been pondering simplifying life a bit. Perhaps instead of two fairly rare Italians, a British twin with an active Houston dealer? You never know. It would be a hard decision to let go of my existing rides though.

Tempted...if I go look and test could be a real temptation...I will let the concept fester a while...

I ordered the first one in Texas. I would have been the first to take delivery but I was stuck filming in Cali.

When I saw it unveiled, I realized this is the bike I had wanted for 20 years. I just did not know it until that day.

I love it. Over 1000 miles now and what a magnificent machine. It really is “peak” modern retro.

3E97E88D-16D5-44D1-8749-48DC4CBF056E.jpeg

2D8E568B-1EAD-4BAA-909F-D74C72EB5ECD.jpeg

I just discovered that there is a big Triumph dealer in the Woodlands, TX. That is an hour ride on B8 from Sugar Land, but doable. They even have a Speed Twin in red. Oh man. I need to get a family wedding done in Lubbock first, then...

I ordered the first one in Texas. I would have been the first to take delivery but I was stuck filming in Cali.

When I saw it unveiled, I realized this is the bike I had wanted for 20 years. I just did not know it until that day.

I love it. Over 1000 miles now and what a magnificent machine. It really is “peak” modern retro.

View attachment 236961

View attachment 236962
Please give me your pros and cons about the Speed Twin, if willing. Current owners are always the best resource.

Please give me your pros and cons about the Speed Twin, if willing. Current owners are always the best resource.

Truly peak modern retro. I can’t stop looking at this thing. They nailed the look.

Realizing it is not a sport bike, it really does have some guts. If one is accustomed to sport bikes it is not impressive power, but it is amazing for what it is.

It handles well enough and seems really stable. I am not the best performance rider so my thoughts on this may be lacking.

It has really good riding geometry and I am a tad over 6 foot. It is a small bike but fits me just fine.

The sound is intoxicating, even from the stock exhaust.

People notice it and will ask questions. It meets people’s expectations for what a Triumph is supposed to look like.

Fit and finish is fantastic.

It is not an all day bike. It is comfy for what it is, but will get uncomfortable after about an hour.

It is a smallish naked bike. It will Cruise at 100 with ease....but anything over 70 for long stretches gets old. On roads where 50-60 is a good speed, it is almost spiritually perfect.

There is no storage space. Not even a place under the seat. Not even for a very small roll kit of tools. It really wont even hold a multi tool.

The license plate tail piece is horrid.

The transmission feels a touch clunky, and I think there is a gear ratio problem for city street riding. At slower speeds, say under 40ish, and just maintaining speeds, I feel The gears (and the RPM they put you in) are either too low or too high for a given speed.

Last edited:
Nathan,

Interesting comment on gearing: The transmission feels a touch clunky, and I think there is a gear ratio problem for city street riding. At slower speeds, say under 40ish, and just maintaining speeds, I feel The gears (and the RPM they put you in) are either two low or two high for a given speed.

It is a six speed tranny, correct? Could be you are not revving the engine enough? Hard to say, but now I know I need to test ride before getting serious. My old Moto Guzzi V7R (2012, Mark I) had a five speed transmission. And with maybe 40 hp, the bike seemed to always hunt for the right gear. Guzzi totally revamped the engine, fueling, transmission (V7 Special, Mark III) with a six speed: and the bike just sings.

Your bike needs a tail tidy, small rear rack or a ring type tank bag. But, the Monza filler cap precludes a ring tank bag, so the option would be a small rear rack and bag. That is what I have on my Guzzi. A better seat could help, or even a pad.

Gorgeous bike though. Interested in the sound.

Have you tried dropping a tooth in the front? Might right your RPMs for city riding.

Aside from the extra fun down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan,

Interesting comment on gearing: The transmission feels a touch clunky, and I think there is a gear ratio problem for city street riding. At slower speeds, say under 40ish, and just maintaining speeds, I feel The gears (and the RPM they put you in) are either two low or two high for a given speed.

It is a six speed tranny, correct? Could be you are not revving the engine enough? Hard to say, but now I know I need to test ride before getting serious. My old Moto Guzzi V7R (2012, Mark I) had a five speed transmission. And with maybe 40 hp, the bike seemed to always hunt for the right gear. Guzzi totally revamped the engine, fueling, transmission (V7 Special, Mark III) with a six speed: and the bike just sings.

Your bike needs a tail tidy, small rear rack or a ring type tank bag. But, the Monza filler cap precludes a ring tank bag, so the option would be a small rear rack and bag. That is what I have on my Guzzi. A better seat could help, or even a pad.

Gorgeous bike though. Interested in the sound. View attachment 237008

I am on the hunt for the right tail bag. My inelegant, but useful and temporary solution is that Huffy branded bicycle bag.

I'm sure it's a great bike but be careful in dealing with that dealer.

Several people on this forum have had issues getting their tags from the dealership. I am having an issue with them getting me the right part for my bike. Triumph had a promotion where the Tigers came with free luggage and mounting racks. They have given me the wrong mounting rack twice now.

They also didn't prep the bike properly before my test ride and the clutch cable wouldn't shift. Had to pull over on the side of the interstate about five miles down the road once the bike stopped shifting.

I'm sure it's a great bike but be careful in dealing with that dealer.

Several people on this forum have had issues getting their tags from the dealership. I am having an issue with them getting me the right part for my bike. Triumph had a promotion where the Tigers came with free luggage and mounting racks. They have given me the wrong mounting rack twice now.

They also didn't prep the bike properly before my test ride and the clutch cable wouldn't shift. Had to pull over on the side of the interstate about five miles down the road once the bike stopped shifting.

I believe you, but I have had nothing but a fantastic experience with this dealership, and everyone I know in the San Antonio Triumph community is some level of happy.

Also, as of a a month ago or so, they were bought out. They are now owned by the Ducati of Austin people and the new GM is a former big guy (do not know his exact title) with Ducati North America. Rick, who heads the Triumph sales side, is still there and is a good guy IMO. He will remain heading up the Triumph side of the house and people seem to be happy with that.

San1k,
Thanks for info on Woodlands Triumph dealer. Makes a difference for me, they are over an hour ride away from Sugar Land. Gulf Coast British USA on south 45 has a similar, dicey reputation. I seek a quality Houston motorcycle dealer.

San1k,
Thanks for info on Woodlands Triumph dealer. Makes a difference for me, they are over an hour ride away from Sugar Land. Gulf Coast British USA on south 45 has a similar, dicey reputation. I seek a quality Houston motorcycle dealer.

I'm gonna take my business to West Katy for a few of the services. Hopefully they do alright.

Back