• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF 450L vs KTM new small lineup

Reaction score
With the impending arrival of the KTM 390 ADV and soon after 490 ADV and 490 Enduro, I've been wondering why the other manufactures aren't quite following suit. I was watching videos of folks adventurizing the Honda CRF450L and started thinking hmmmm..... here's a bike that got good performance reviews, but was knocked for being too expensive. Lighter than XR650L and faster too. Better suspension for tough stuff. Now used ones and leftovers are popping up on the market for decent prices. With the downturn, I'm thinking prices may get even better. Honda reliability and easy to find service location are attractive. Anybody here actually have or had one of these? Larger tank and some additional wind protection might make this a gravel/dirty road champ, while allowing for some more challenging rides? Thoughts?

Thought: Get a used 500 EXC that someone has done all the stuff to.

You sold it? Why not keep it?
Needed a bit more than I was willing to do at this time. Fast enough and whatnot, but even though plated, original owner had made it more like a true dirt bike. I started undoing that and decided to just get something street/adv ready.

Nope, but it constantly gets knocked on for lack of power. I've looked/sat on it several times and I've watched alot of reviews. Being a larger guy(that's French for overweight), I'd have to do suspension mods immediately. If Honda did a 450 Rally, I wouldn't probably look at anything else.

Back to your original question, I'd probably opt for the 390 ADV over the 450L because I don't ride single track and don't want to change the oil every 600 miles.

Back to your original question, I'd probably opt for the 390 ADV over the 450L because I don't ride single track and don't want to change the oil every 600 miles.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Most of the YouTube personalities say it's not necessary to change that frequently for us non aggressive riders and it's supposedly super easy to change. The comparison I saw of it vs the 500exc came out fairly predictably. The Honda was a bit more road friendly and the KTM was better in the knarly stuff i'll never ride. Very interested in the 390.....kinda wish it was the 490 coming.

With the impending arrival of the KTM 390 ADV and soon after 490 ADV and 490 Enduro, I've been wondering why the other manufactures aren't quite following suit. I was watching videos of folks adventurizing the Honda CRF450L and started thinking hmmmm..... here's a bike that got good performance reviews, but was knocked for being too expensive. Lighter than XR650L and faster too. Better suspension for tough stuff. Now used ones and leftovers are popping up on the market for decent prices. With the downturn, I'm thinking prices may get even better. Honda reliability and easy to find service location are attractive. Anybody here actually have or had one of these? Larger tank and some additional wind protection might make this a gravel/dirty road champ, while allowing for some more challenging rides? Thoughts?

Reactions: JMZ
Very interested in the 390.....kinda wish it was the 490 coming.
I suspect you will be surprised by the power of the 390 motor.

Last night I was out goofing on a curvy road near me. First, I took out the Street Triple and ripped through the corners. Then as a goof, I went back and got the 790 R and took it down the same road. I passed a pair of riders on what looked like the big Kawi sport bikes. I flipped around and ran them down on the 790 Adventure R.

They were surprised to find me behind them after a couple of corners. This 790 motor has WAY more power than I need for dirt rides. I suspect the 390 would have done me just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer pass is road, it says nothing about the capabilities of a dirt bike.

Nice, I meant the link for general research. Not engineer pass specifically. Lots of info in that thread. I've been following from the beginning.

I have a Triumph Scrambler 900 which I love! I have a V-Strom 650 which I don't like as much but it's cool and functional. Both bikes are very heavy and I've ridden them both on dirt and gravel. Ive hit the skidpate on the Scrambler pretty hard a couple of times. I don't want to damage that bike and it doesn't feel good kidney wise when that happens either. I've crashed the Strom on sand, busted up the fairing, but the worst part was picking it up. I think the 390 might be the bike. Gotta wait and see. I don't see a reason to make the 490 unless they see something they can specifically target or added performance.

I say go try to try out some bikes from twt members and see if you really like one , OR, buy them and try them until you find the one you like. The latter will be more beneficial to less fortunate people who are looking for nice used bikes.

I say go try to try out some bikes from twt members and see if you really like one , OR, buy them and try them until you find the one you like. The latter will be more beneficial to less fortunate people who are looking for nice used bikes.
Try a 450L, then sell cheap, please!

Jarrett, it’s fun to know that the 790 can keep up with faster street only bikes on twisting roads. The rally mode sure makes the bike a bit of a monster, but good handling and good suspension makes it easier. I think we should be like Synthlegend, and change our mind about what we want every hour or so, to get ourself as confused as possible. That way we won’t be going broke actually buying these great bikes.:rider:

Jarrett, it’s fun to know that the 790 can keep up with faster street only bikes on twisting roads. The rally mode sure makes the bike a bit of a monster, but good handling and good suspension makes it easier. I think we should be like Synthlegend, and change our mind about what we want every hour or so, to get ourself as confused as possible. That way we won’t be going broke actually buying these great bikes.:rider:
Somebody gets it! Albeit a bit too late!😜

synth, put on a bear costume, and ride a 390 duke. May get you a job in a Russian circus.

Reactions: JMZ
Wow, only 18, counting the spare for the trailer, spare for the car, and the golf cart.........Yamaha 350 single⛩

Back