• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oh my. Wonder how much Honda paid Campbell to ride that slow and make that look hard without the DCT.

Here's Johnny at normal speed.
At Baja.. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRV_xKLvAek"]11X BAJA 1000 CHAMPION: JOHNNY CAMPBELL JOINS AFFLICTION - YouTube[/ame]

Here's Johnny on a manual AT...he doesn't seem to have trouble with the clutch. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOKMuTXbxo"]Wild Ride on an Africa Twin! - YouTube[/ame]

Oh... and Chris Burch on a KTM doesn't seem to have too much trouble getting grip and keeping his momentum with a clutch.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIZfYQhgMc"]Chris Birch gives KTM1190 Wings! - YouTube[/ame]

The DCT is great and definitely would make that section easier but there is NO WAY Johnny Campbell or a rider with his skill would have had that much trouble on the manual transmission bike. Campbell is a really skilled rider, he could have wheelied that AT through that entire section.

I was hoping that was a video of your parking lot maneuvers [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just froze my butt to shoot this:

Africa Twin Idle Speed - YouTube

Cool (pun intended).

That makes sense. Rodney was about stopped on his Wing when he decided to follow me to another part of the parking lot and turned to follow. He was definitely under 7 and probably under 5 and near stopped. He released the brake and expected it to idle forward like an automatic car would even if you don't apply throttle and it didn't. He knows now that it won't, but in that moment, it surprised him and he dropped it.

Thx for braving the cold for us. :)

I dunno. I've ridden DCT and absolutely hated it. I kinda look at an automatic transmission on a motorcycle as an oxymoron that shouldn't exist. Like indoor football.

Does the DCT add any significant weight over a regular clutch setup?

Holy cow!!

Serioiusly!? 30 lbs EXTRA just to have the DCT? :brainsnap

That is a lot of extra weight. That right there will probably keep it off any kind of racing bikes and dirt oriented bikes (more so than a big adventure bike). I am sure it is down low because Honda is good at the weight centralization thing, but dang...

That doesn't really make sense. The tech has been out on Honda bikes for nearly a decade now. There are lots of reports of DCT bikes with 100+k miles with no issues. I saw a pic of a VFR1200X DCT with 252,000+ miles on it recently.

Personally, I'm fairly sure none of my bikes will accumulate that many miles before being sold or traded for something newer anyway, but glad to hear those types of reliability reports are out there.
Sure it does. Your logic was what can happen will happen. That applies to both man and machine. I have 123k miles on my Tenere without a missed shift or gear grind. Doesn't mean all will have the same results. Same with mechanical and electrical issues. Things wear out, break and malfunction at different intervals for the exact part (s).

Moving along, dead horse beat sufficiently.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I'm guessing as 2WheelNut suggested, the tech likely wouldn't be of interest to race oriented folks. Guessing it would flop. I mean unless someone used it and won a race or something :)

Believe the swedes were fairly successful with an enduro auto shifter back in late 70's early to mid 80's. Enduro's were a very different format back then. Never rode one but I understand the tranny worked well.

I know very little about the technology/mechanics involved so there may be a very obvious answer to this, but why is DCT the thing that has taken off (if you call it that) rather than CVT. Of the two a CVT seems like a more interesting option to me. No shifting just like a DCT, but also uninterrupted acceleration, and eliminating the “between gears” problem. Is it more complicated, more expensive, or heavier? Do they not hold up to the power made by many modern bikes?

I know very little about the technology/mechanics involved so there may be a very obvious answer to this, but why is DCT the thing that has taken off (if you call it that) rather than CVT. Of the two a CVT seems like a more interesting option to me. No shifting just like a DCT, but also uninterrupted acceleration, and eliminating the “between gears” problem. Is it more complicated, more expensive, or heavier? Do they not hold up to the power made by many modern bikes?
They(cvt) hold up fine in turbo charged high horse power side by sides. I thing the weight combined with the gyro effect & high rpm at cruising speed would be issues.

I'm not against dct, I would be interested in one as a commuter/highway bike. I'd also love an alta for a dirtbike. But the weight and long term maintenance of the dct are issues to me.

I like to own vehicles that I can do a complete mechanical rebuilt of myself. I'd rather not own automatic cages(because I cannot rebuild the trans myself), but that was the only options available in the vehicles I was looking at. I'm interested to see where the technology of the dct is at in 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Personally, I can see the value of DCT on street oriented bikes. I would love to own a DCT Goldwing and take that thing everywhere with extreme comfort.

I'm also open minded on running DCT offroad. At least for what we ride (dirt/gravel roads), I can see it performing without a hitch.

Last edited:
Personally, I can see the value of DCT on street oriented bikes. I would love to own a DCT Goldwing and take that thing everywhere with extreme comfort.

I'm also open minded on running DCT offroad. At least for what we ride (dirt/gravel roads), I can see it performing without a hitch.

I can definitely see the appeal on something like a Goldwing where weight doesn’t matter and comfort is paramount. I just can’t imagine voluntarily packing 30 pounds onto a bike that is even remotely performance oriented unless I was physically incapable of operating a clutch.

I may be weird, but I enjoy operating a clutch. I often grind gears, & have other imperfect gear shifts. It’s not TEOTWAWI. It’s part of ridin a motorbike.

I’m glad there is options out there, & don’t begrudge anyone that favors other transmission choices, it’s just not for me.

I've got to admit one thing, in my Vettes I had identical cars(one year apart), the first was an auto, 8 speed, other a manual 7 speed. Why I really enjoyed the 7 speed, the auto did everything quicker, plus when passing it would always be in right gear, sometimes with the 7 speed I wasn't. Disclaimer here, not talking about track time, never took either on a track. I would imagine the 7 speed would work better road racing , but the auto would kill it in a drag.

Watching Jarrett's Campbell video I see where the DCT might help normal folks in technical situations just like a Recluse on a dirt bike. He's got me at least wanting to try one now, lol!

But I really like rowing through the gears!

Back