• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

They re all girly now, Yamaha might have 1 shift, not sure.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

But you'd have to split that between the manly SXS discussion and the girly SXS discussion.
They have always been cvt, until hondas dct ones came along. Yamaha makes a 6 speed manual version of the yzx1000, that's the only factory manual.

I've got a ragged out polaris sportsman for the ranch. I dont want to have to shift while carrying a rifle and scanning for critters. But if I could afford a $17k sxs It would be a honda.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They have always been cvt, until hondas dct ones came along. Yamaha makes a 6 speed manual version of the yzx1000, that's the only factory manual.

I've got a ragged out polaris sportsman for the ranch. I dont want to have to shift while carrying a rifle and scanning for critters. But if I could afford a $17k sxs It would be a honda.

Agree, blasting hogs making a run for it across your path at 1:47am with the spot in one hand and the .45 in the other dictates the use of auto for sure :lol2:

Agree, blasting hogs making a run for it across your path at 1:47am with the spot in one hand and the .45 in the other dictates the use of auto for sure [emoji38]2:
^He gets it^

The manual trans Yamaha is not a sport, ranch or deer lease vehicle. It's high performance, full suspension with ground clearance for sand dunes, desert blasting and racing.

SXS models have carved distinct segments without much overlap.
Utility
Ranch
Mudders
Sport
Racing

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

The manual trans Yamaha is not a sport, ranch or deer lease vehicle. It's high performance, full suspension with ground clearance for sand dunes, desert blasting and racing.

SXS models have carved distinct segments without much overlap.
Utility
Ranch
Mudders
Sport
Racing

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
I thought racing was a sport?[emoji39]

Dang boy , you ain't even riding and you want to argue with bullet !?!??
I never said I was smart!
I am riding, a sxs. Right now lol

Well, I actually rode an AT DCT. Forget specs, numbers, stats, whatever you measure. Don't care. Go ride one. I got a chance to demo one at the CycleWorld Rally in Gunnison. Did a modest road trek and then took it out on the obstacle course. The previous day I watched rider after rider stall their bike and then dump it on the rocks, logs and tight corners. I don't really care how many cylinders or how much the bike weighed ... they all went down. Numbers didn't help any of the riders. The DCT doesn't stall and its always in the right gear. I mean always. I thought it was cool beans on the obstacle course. Almost like cheating. However, I didn't have the same opinion on the street. It just never seemed to be in the right gear for me on the street and I had to tickle the tranny. And the glare off that dash is awful. If you've ridden the ktm 1190 or 1090 you will find the AT power very uninspiring but I find these bikes bat **** crazy in the dirt in sport mode. All in all I think the AT DCT really shines at turning really tough situations into easy ones. It just has really great balance, just enough power and that sweet no stall, perfect gear dct. I really like it. Ok, I don't own one but I think the bike works very well in an overlanding adventure .. dirt rock gravel sand mud pavement logs ... kind of way. If all you ride is dirt or all you ride is street then I don't think you'll have the same opinion about the AT. I find the AT DCT very confidence inspiring ... but then I am on medicare and need the extra confidence.

power issues?????

quicker than my goldwing, but the gw will cruise at 110 more comfortable than the AT......just sayin......AT very unstable above 100. However, if I can get to 60 quick and be able to pass a car at 80 I am happy happy happy

(also I am very happy if I do not have to move my left foot or left hand in the process)

https://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

97e1df375d23a2230a201c11661528ee.jpg
Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 12.39.23 AM.jpeg
Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 12.40.15 AM.jpeg
cd5e75c2fcd3a258e940ae5075bb742b.jpg
146bd202b2e32d8b3cbf3565afd5531d.jpg
050258681ee76e1cc135aac20031e62f.jpg
185b2014670ac74b90ab5a0904d40dd6.jpg

Last edited:
Throwing this in here while its fresh on my mind. This weekend I got to attend Bill Dragoo's ADV training class on my DCT Africa Twin. Here were my thoughts on it:

I know I'm a broken record on it, but this class really proved DCT technology to me. I know its considered a pavement convenience by many, but I really think its most impressive application is riding off road. Just talking to people, I think that I was the most newbie rider there and I didn't fall all weekend. In my mind, the only reason I didn't was due to DCT. I feel confident had I had to operate a manual shift lever through all of that madness, I would have gone down 20 times or more probably. Several times it felt like I was cheating at how easy some of the drills were using DCT. The Honda engineers really thought that system through well and I'm really glad I had it this weekend as it once again saved my butt.

One of the drills was a hill start exercise after stalling a manual bike. As I pulled up to the instructor on the hill at the start of the exercise, he said, "This one is cheating for you. I didn't call you out when I was explaining the drill to the group." I laughed and said, "I appreciate that..." and easily motored on up the hill. He had seen the DCT tech in action in classes before and said he was impressed with it.

DCT, its not just for pavement :)
While we were riding at Sterling during the DART class, we watched a little at the rock garden and and little hill climb by it. My observations, the really good riders had no problem with a clutch. But some of the regular guys were really abusing the clutch, and I guess in an effort to keep from stalling some guys were carrying a lot of engine rpm and slipping clutch. I kept looking for one to launch! I can see where for normal folks, a DCT could really be an advantage. I'd like to try one offroad now. Talking to Jarrett on how to keep it "locked" in gear and not free wheeling I think I could be persuaded to go that route. One less thing to fret over. The guys on big bikes or me on a dirt bike, your trouble starts when the bike flames out at the worst time, lol. Not fun on a dirt bike, could be real trouble on a big bike.

I guess I should've read further back in the thread. @Jarrett posted the same link in #143. Woops. :loco:
It was a good listen
Didnt learn anything new about the technology of either system, but I like hearing from guys who designed/developed/tested the stuff

Back