• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yeah, on that short hill climb where I shot Jarrett's avatar image, there were some clutches working over time! I was surprised I didn't smell any of the BMW dry clutches... :cool2:

Yeah, on that short hill climb where I shot Jarrett's avatar image, there were some clutches working over time! I was surprised I didn't smell any of the BMW dry clutches... :cool2:
If you hold the camera closer to the ground, of course you miss some of the view of the slope but wouldn't this give a better perspective of how steep a hill would be on a photograph. I don't know, its why I'm asking you scott because you know about these things. I have seen how photos do this (remove perspective). I guess there's many variables in taking good pics and no magic pill for my question.

If you hold the camera closer to the ground, of course you miss some of the view of the slope but wouldn't this give a better perspective of how steep a hill would be on a photograph. I don't know, its why I'm asking you scott because you know about these things. I have seen how photos do this (remove perspective). I guess there's many variables in taking good pics and no magic pill for my question.

The only way I know of to convey the steepness of a slope is to shoot across it from the sides, or have things that you can use for scale. Here are a few examples,

Shooting up the slope usually gives a better sense of steepness than shooting down the slope. For instance,

Looking down...

Looking up the exact same spot...

and another shooting up/down example,

Looking down

Looking up

Another looking down

and looking back up just a short part of it

Here is an example of shooting across, note the rider upper right and the vehicle lower left

and another

Make use of human scale where possible

Same shot as above, but zoomed in to show the human... :-P (center about 1/3 from top)

If you have them, trees can help because they usually grow vertically, so seeing the angle between the trees and the ground can create a visual reference.

Or the oft ubiquitous power line poles :roll: (note rider about half way up the hill under power lines)

Scale and perspective again,

Having people really helps with the looking down shots because we can relate to the scale of the people

This one has two good clues, the horizon far left and the power lines running up the slope

Yes, yes , thanks. I knew this would catch your interest.
this looks really steep to the brain recognized rider and the % it represents. Beyond that the terrain looks to flatten and i lose the perspective of slope (other than the power poles)
My terminiology may be incorrect. Define perspective, define scale. ....Or move conversation to one of your camera threads which I'm sure there are dozens to choose from.

Last edited:
If the line of sight through the lens is parallel to the slope, it will always look flat unless there are other strong visual clues indicating the slope. The picture above is a good example. After that last sharp right around the poles in about the center of the image, it started flattening out a lot in real life. Between Rsquared and the second set of poles there were about six more switchbacks. The section where my bike is parked in the switchbacks was so steep that I could not stop the bike at all. The wheels would just slide. In that picture above, Rsquared was WAY below me vertically, but not real far away horizontally. I think there were two steep sections between where I was standing and where he was in the image. That particular hill was a real challenge to show because there was no where to get off to the side and looking back up you couldn't even see the road.

I will keep in mind. I basically do the same when i photo parts, slip in ascrewdriver or pen so you know what your looking at. Will include a subject in upcoming pics.

@misterk
@Simmons1
@UncleBuck

Thought y'all might dig this article that @StromXTc pointed out to me:

Here's an interesting excerpt:

I've kind of found the same to be true for me. I've been to several classes now and the DCT tech also allows me to outperform riders with much more saddle time than I have in multiple scenarios. Kind of feels like cheating, but if it works, it works. It's also the only reason I can keep up with @MacDaddy half the time.

Interesting

If @MacDaddy became a modern man on a DCT, he would be waiting 30 minutes for the rest of the group to catch up:)

All rider. Must be a good scooter to hold up though. I’ve ridden mountain bikes with a highly skilled group with guys on all types of bikes. One dude is so good he can hang on highly technical trails on a fixed gear with no suspension. That is with guys with as many as 33 gear options and modern suspension, with hydraulic brakes. Fixed gear for those who don’t know bikes well means no brakes. You can ride the bike backwards by peddling in reverse. I’ve also passed a dude on a unicycle on similar trails. Blew my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All rider. Must be a good scooter to hold up though. I’ve ridden mountain bikes with a highly skilled group with guys on all types of bikes. One dude is so good he can hang on highly technical trails on a fixed gear with no suspension. That is with guys with as many as 33 gear options and modern suspension, with hydraulic brakes. Fixed gear for those who don’t know bikes well means no brakes. You can ride the bike backwards by peddling in reverse. I’ve also passed a dude on a unicycle on similar trails. Blew my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll go 80% rider 20% bike.
He couldnt have done it on a ruckus

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's a little harsh, only one of my 4 bikes makes over a 100hp, all with stock pipes, all fun to ride! But you're right you do have to shift them!!!! Thankfully. BTW, I'd be glad to ride that scooter around, liked it from the beginning!

"It’s the rider that really makes the difference. If it were just the machine, those KTMs, Husqvarnas, and BMWs should have left the Honda scooter in the dust. But as it turns out, a talented rider with a good machine can beat a more powerful and better-equipped machine. As long as a skilled rider is at the helm."

Copied from an article about the rally, but as MacDaddy proves over and over, offroad riding is all about the rider! You're going to try and tell me this dude wouldn't have won on a KTM?

"at the Honda dealers and straight to the CBR1000RRRRRR." Then check insurance and walk out the door! Yes I do get your point!

There ya go

I wouldn't buy a scooter either. However there are a limited supply of us gray beards left. Something to hook "College Boy"

tve18199-19770208-1689.jpg

Last edited:
I was just talking to my girlfriend today about that. If auto bikes or more specifically electric bikes will stop the decline of riding or not.

A lot of people who would not jump on a Harley or Sport bike can easily jump on a NC700X or any Zero motorcycle any ride away with much less apprehension.

I kind of get the feeling auto ICE bikes will be skipped and electric bikes will be where the revolution occurs, if at all.
Quite possibly correct. Some of it could even be a factor of no engine noise and not being intimidated.

Back