• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda E-mx

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

Jarrett, I'm all IN on this baby! Bring it.

Wow, first I've heard of it.

I was hoping Honda would jump into the electric game.

I don't see much battery there though. The battery on mine seems like its 60% or more of the size and weight of the bike.

One day they are going to have a breakthrough on battery tech and things are going to get really interesting.

I like it and like where this is headed. Without a clutch lever though, why not move the rear brake to the handlebar?

I like it and like where this is headed. Without a clutch lever though, why not move the rear brake to the handlebar?
Never thought of that on these but that is a great suggestion. I have a bad right knee and it's hard using the rear pedal, excellent idea. They are there, so easy to change if Honda didn't do it.

Wow, first I've heard of it.

I was hoping Honda would jump into the electric game.

I don't see much battery there though. The battery on mine seems like its 60% or more of the size and weight of the bike.

One day they are going to have a breakthrough on battery tech and things are going to get really interesting.
If anyone can move the needle on these, it's Honda.

I often wonder about that. I've thought about adding one to my bikes. There a few situations where a left hand rear brakes makes sense.

The Africa Twin has a lever-controlled parking brake up there that controls a second rear brake caliper. It saved my butt on the Africa Twin doing the hill fail turn around drill at the Dragoo Clinic for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the move toward electric bikes should be no surprise to anyone, there is just something so utterly enjoyable with the look, sound and feel of a 4-stroke engine. One day, it will be a relic of the past (but hopefully not soon! ;-)).

More infos:

From our Japanese correspondent Hiromi Kinukawa we have reached some more information.

He visited Tokyo Motorcycle Show and was able to take pictures of the HONDA electric MUGEN version. “E. REX Prototype”. All the classic and drivetrain components are the same but have different look than the CR-E Prototype version.

Hiromi: “Motor output and battery capacity was not open, I asked the MUGEN guy but no comment, lol.”
Also, no production date was released, but during the press show, the test rider of MUGEN SHINDEN (TT racer) mentioned that all the prototypes are followed by production. So, may be not far from actual production release.

More infos:

From our Japanese correspondent Hiromi Kinukawa we have reached some more information.

He visited Tokyo Motorcycle Show and was able to take pictures of the HONDA electric MUGEN version. “E. REX Prototype”. All the classic and drivetrain components are the same but have different look than the CR-E Prototype version.

Hiromi: “Motor output and battery capacity was not open, I asked the MUGEN guy but no comment, lol.”
Also, no production date was released, but during the press show, the test rider of MUGEN SHINDEN (TT racer) mentioned that all the prototypes are followed by production. So, may be not far from actual production release.

View attachment 230276View attachment 230277View attachment 230278View attachment 230277View attachment 230278
To me, what sets the Honda apart from the Alta, it looks really similar to what we ride now. Almost normal looking in photos. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of 4 strokes and riding my 2 stroke. I just see what these bikes can do for us as you eliminate one of the public's biggest complaint and that is noise! Go to an offroad park and listen to the quad boys and their mega exhaust and you see why we have the angst of the public. Harleys and quad guys seem to love noise, lol, just messing( a little). But noise does hurt us and with modern exhaust most of the time doesn't net any real gain, maybe a weight loss.

I mean folks are moving out in the country, you just can't hardly ride anywhere without houses nearby in this area. Zinging by on an bike they wouldn't even know we are there.

Good on Honda! BTW, I rode Jarrett's Zero yesterday on the semi-backroads through and around Maypearl yesterday. It was a lot of fun but I noticed something while doing so that I hadn't really considered before. I know it's almost silent running but it felt peculiar to pass by people working in their yards or whatever and no one looked over at you. They had no idea I was there! If they didn't see me coming they appeared to not know I was there. That was a weird realization to me. I even drove through the gas station that was pretty full just for grins. As I pulled in there was a teenager walking from the far pump over to the store and he walked right in front of me without looking up from his phone. If you rightfully thought you were invisible to some drivers on the road you better now include pedestirans to that mix too.

That's one of my favorite things about my Zero FX. I can ride in the most hooligan way and never bother anyone.

When its quiet, no one complains. And it doesn't seem like you are going as fast to watchers if there is no crazy exhaust note.

I watched MacDaddy zoom off on mine yesterday and it didn't seem aggressive at all. And I didn't hear him come back.

On my other bikes, I kind of creep out of the neighborhood and wait to find an empty road before opening it up.

If you rightfully thought you were invisible to some drivers on the road you better now include pedestrians to that mix too.
Yeah, you really have to up your radar for pedestrians. I scared the heck out of a jogger on accident the other day out in the boonies.

And don't forget animals. I've had more near bird strikes on this bike than any other. Also, the other day I was riding down Bee Creek and a deer casually walked out of the bushes in front of me. Had no idea I was there. As I got up to it, it saw me and spooked.

Although, the dogs seem to hear it though. They still hear me coming and really don't like the FX. I guess its like a really fast moving bicycle to them. But it's fun to just throttle a couple of feet out of their top speed though :D

Good on Honda! BTW, I rode Jarrett's Zero yesterday on the semi-backroads through and around Maypearl yesterday. It was a lot of fun but I noticed something while doing so that I hadn't really considered before. I know it's almost silent running but it felt peculiar to pass by people working in their yards or whatever and no one looked over at you. They had no idea I was there! If they didn't see me coming they appeared to not know I was there. That was a weird realization to me. I even drove through the gas station that was pretty full just for grins. As I pulled in there was a teenager walking from the far pump over to the store and he walked right in front of me without looking up from his phone. If you rightfully thought you were invisible to some drivers on the road you better now include pedestirans to that mix too.

Steve, I bet if you rode neked they would notice you :)

The lack of sound is a problem in some spots, a couple of guys I ride with have Alta's as a 2nd bike, when they're riding through the pits it's extremely easy to step in front of them.

Back