• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Transalp 750

I wanna see a photo or two of this thing. Sounds ideal.

Right here in our forum:

From a ride that actually had a couple of miles of gravel:

And my blog has a ton of them if you dig in, but this post has one of it actually in some tall grass, after some riding a few miles of quicksand-like Llano county sand/gravel roads:

Details about the new engine are emerging. Honda has released specs about their new 755 cc engine that will be in the new Hornet and the new Transalp. Power is said to be 92 HP for the Hornet which makes me think Honda will be detuned the engine to about 80 HP for the Transalp.

View attachment 329980
Good stuff ... here is the page translated for those of us that don't speak Italian

I hope the Transalp engine gets all the stonk, but they'll probable "tune for torque" (ie less hp and not really more torque) and leave the hotter version for the Hornet.

75-80hp is a reasonable guess for the 750 Transalp

I wonder if Honda might make the Transalp a more paved road oriented 19" front machine while keepin the Africa Twin name attached to a more trail worthy version 750 21" front.....IE the new 2023 V Stroms

I hope the Transalp engine gets all the stonk, but they'll probable "tune for torque" (ie less hp and not really more torque) and leave the hotter version for the Hornet.

Probably. It'll end up making less owl power, but have more power lower in the RPM range and be more usable than a peaky engine. That's always been my preference in engine setup.

I saw an official Honda teaser on it a few days ago . I think it said Nov 11th or 13th something like that. Looks to be real. Much nicer seat than the AT. Much more street worthy. It's geared top a niche of folks that want a somewhat exciting looking bike for light adv touring. I bought a new red Transalp in 1990 for my wife. It was a pretty capable bike but bored me except during grocery runs as I was just starting to get serious about high HP sportbikes. Faults were too weak front fork tubes and a single front disc that warped often. Mine warped the first time while racing home with fellow Moto GP Laguna Seca attendees, down highway 1 to Morro Bay. Imagine that, a warranty replacement. That said, the Transalp is one of Honda's all time top sellers WW, if not the top. They know what they are doing and this will be a nice bike.

We will all know soon enough if this is happening this Fall or not.
I do like the older squarer shape better.
View attachment 329850
The speculation of the clearer photos is it might be part of a video/photo shoot for promotional materials. 🤷🏻‍♂️
US got this color in 89 red in 90 I believe. ROW got a huge array of colors for years and years! To me this is still a great looking bike. My wife started adv touring on her 1990. She had a total of 8 bikes over the next 25 years, but it was the Transalp that hooked her. I think around $4300 OTD new.

It looks very interesting to me, but will likely have the very same flaw as all other smaller adventure type bikes: weight. The CB500X is already 100 lb too heavy and I'm sure the new 750-class twin bike will be also 100lb overweight.

LMK when someone comes out with a bike in this class with >50hp, fuel injection, and wet weight under 380 lb. Until then, I'll keep my 360 lb ~55hp adventure-converted GS500. If I ever got really serious about making my bike into a real ADV bike, I could always swap the front end for one from a DR350 and get a 21" front wheel and a few inches more travel, the light little GS will go anywhere these porker modern ADV bikes will go and also be possible for one person to pick up if it washes out.
360lbs????? you are supposed to count the wheels and tires, GS500F wet weight is 439lbs, exactly the same as the CB500X and it only makes 51hp on a good day not 55

US got this color in 89 red in 90 I believe. ROW got a huge array of colors for years and years! To me this is still a great looking bike. My wife started adv touring on her 1990. She had a total of 8 bikes over the next 25 years, but it was the Transalp that hooked her. I think around $4300 OTD new.

The '90 Moonstone Alp that I bought from RickM......really...really liked that bike...even havin the 650 Strom at the same time. 2 different approaches to the same basic question....2 slightly different answers

Attachments

• Bosque County Byway Blitz 001.JPG
    Bosque County Byway Blitz 001.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 91
360lbs????? you are supposed to count the wheels and tires, GS500F wet weight is 439lbs, exactly the same as the CB500X and it only makes 51hp on a good day not 55

GS500E like mine is 373 lb stock with 51 hp. Of course mine is not stock. Maybe over 25 years Suzuki figured out how to add 50+ lb of stuff like fairings and lots of smog equipment and a quieter muffler.

IMHO the cb500x is at least 50lb overweight. If the wet weight is 439 lb then that is very close to my Triumph, maybe even heavier than my Triumph. And I tell you the Bonnie is very heavy. Way too heavy for a middleweight bike that's going to go off road in my opinion.

And before you come back and correct me on Triumph Bonneville weight, remember mine is an SE and also is not stock. I'm not a freak about motorcycle weight, but I do reasonable weight reduction and every time I replace a part I try to get the lightest option that is not exotic money. It's the first spec I check when considering a motorcycle purchase. Which is also why I probably won't ever buy another motorcycle.

GS500E like mine is 373 lb stock with 51 hp. Of course mine is not stock. Maybe over 25 years Suzuki figured out how to add 50+ lb of stuff like fairings and lots of smog equipment and a quieter muffler.

IMHO the cb500x is at least 50lb overweight. If the wet weight is 439 lb then that is very close to my Triumph, maybe even heavier than my Triumph. And I tell you the Bonnie is very heavy. Way too heavy for a middleweight bike that's going to go off road in my opinion.

And before you come back and correct me on Triumph Bonneville weight, remember mine is an SE and also is not stock. I'm not a freak about motorcycle weight, but I do reasonable weight reduction and every time I replace a part I try to get the lightest option that is not exotic money. It's the first spec I check when considering a motorcycle purchase. Which is also why I probably won't ever buy another motorcycle.
373 dry weight and you are comparing it to a wet weight, fill it up with battery acid, brake fluid, oil and gas and those numbers get much closer, put longer travel suspension and some wind protection on that suzuki and it will weigh more than the Honda.

373 dry weight and you are comparing it to a wet weight,

of course I'm not going to change your mind but when you have your hands on my GS 500 next a real 440 lb motorcycle you'll see how silly it is to think there is nearly 70lb worth of fluids that didn't get weighed when they calculated the specs. It's night and day.

Stock it looks the GS500 is just over 400 wet from what I could find.

The Transalp will need to be around the 450 lb wet and have 80-90 hp to compete with the 890 and T7.

Stock it looks the GS500 is just over 400 wet from what I could find.

Same here....
Mfgs usta use dry weight as a reference on their bikes. Made them sound like floating on a feather.
My 02 03 & 04 V Stroms all had dry wt listed in ownrs manuals...427lbs I think Sometime around 2007-8 ..Suzuki changed to a wet wt in specs. My 2011 650 Oui Strom listed wet weight at 485 ish w abs

Last edited:
The Transalp will need to be around the 450 lb wet and have 80-90 hp to compete with the 890 and T7.

Its not gonna compete directly with those bikes. The pics show a more fairing covered bike probably a bit more road comfy.
My guess...460-470 wet & 75-80hp w/60mpg hwy & 5gal tank

Last edited:
Its not gonna compete directly with those bikes. The pics show a more fairing covered bike probably a bit more road comfy.
My guess...460-470 wet & 75-80hp w/60mpg hwy & 5gal tank
Yeah, except those aren't pics We haven't seen any verified pics yet. Sources I've seen form Japan were saying a more off-road oriented Transalp, not the Transalp of years past. Then again at this point it's like arguing about sasquatch!

Last edited:
Back