• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

I want to see the DS bike that does 157 or was that KPH??:lol2: If he was doing it on dirt, I would be truly impressed!! :giveup:

Gary

Nah, I was on the SuperHawk 996, sometimes the XR can't feed the need. I didn't figure out the road was wet until later when I saw dry spots. I know I was doing the ton around a 50mph curve, passing a car, on wet pavement. So Continental tires rock!

Saturday I'll be making the run from Wolters Park in Schulenberg to Morales and back testing my planned ride for the meet next weekend. I'll be passing through such hot spots as St James (not the infirmary), Breslau, Hallettesville, Williamsburg (not the one in Virginia), Ezzell, Morales, Speaks, Sublime and Oakland (not the one in California.)

There are a couple of places where I'm not clear on what road surface to expect so the route may change. There will be some pavement and some roads where our tires seem to be the only thing that keeps the grass from growing. My main reason for going is to compare CR1 to Gandy Bend and to make sure I didn't plug the wrong stuff into my GPS.

The GPS suggests that the trip is 134 miles and should take 4:42 hours which means that the right crew being a little lazy would get it done in about 3, not including getting there and stopping to take pictures, etc.

If you're interested in joining me at the start or meeting up somewhere along the way post up and let me know. I suspect a couple of the XRL/XRR guys consider this their back yard as I do, so the more local knowledge the better. We might even stop at the Morales store for a hamburger which is not the best in the world, but it may be in the top ten.

Oh yea, for those in the know I'm avoiding the "sandpit of doom" unless there is a specific request.

Since most of my photos looked like the ones above I won't post them. Okay, they weren't as good as the ones above, but the were of the same stuff so they look alike. Here are a couple from the ride that don't look like the ones above...

RollingJ's "Winchester Smile"
DSCN1981s.jpg

We talked Grasshopper into putting on a helmet, but he wanted to ride with the kickstand down just to see what would happen...
DSCN1973s.jpg

Rman, how did you get that one photo to come out so well?

Good ride guys. Enjoyed it. Thanks JMZ and Dee.,

Saturday I'll be making the run from Wolters Park in Schulenberg to Morales and back testing my planned ride for the meet next weekend. I'll be passing through such hot spots as St James (not the infirmary), Breslau, Hallettesville, Williamsburg (not the one in Virginia), Ezzell, Morales, Speaks, Sublime and Oakland (not the one in California.)

There are a couple of places where I'm not clear on what road surface to expect so the route may change. There will be some pavement and some roads where our tires seem to be the only thing that keeps the grass from growing. My main reason for going is to compare CR1 to Gandy Bend and to make sure I didn't plug the wrong stuff into my GPS.

The GPS suggests that the trip is 134 miles and should take 4:42 hours which means that the right crew being a little lazy would get it done in about 3, not including getting there and stopping to take pictures, etc.

If you're interested in joining me at the start or meeting up somewhere along the way post up and let me know. I suspect a couple of the XRL/XRR guys consider this their back yard as I do, so the more local knowledge the better. We might even stop at the Morales store for a hamburger which is not the best in the world, but it may be in the top ten.

Oh yea, for those in the know I'm avoiding the "sandpit of doom" unless there is a specific request.

County RD 1 is all pavement. This weekend is Come And Take IT weekend. I will most likely be sticking around here but if things change I will call you .

Correction. It is paved passed ezzell to the river. after that it is gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main reason for going is to compare CR1 to Gandy Bend and to make sure I didn't plug the wrong stuff into my GPS.

If you are referring to CR1 that parallels Gandy Bend road north of Hwy 111 it is gravel and usually well maintained. Gandy Bend is a little narrower and has a low spot where water can stand. It can be deeper than it looks, trust me.:doh: Wish I could hook up with you but need to stay close to the house this weekend so I can be ready for the ET 450 next weekend.:rider:

From the river South of Ezzell ( Navidad ?? or Lavaca ???? ) not sure all the way North to Halletsville , CR 1 is paved . I don`t think that kind of CR is what you are looking for Meriden. I have not been on the roads South of Ezzell that much.

Yes, from the Lavaca river south to hwy 111 is 7.5 miles of nice gravel. Sometimes nicely graded, sometimes loose and sometimes washboard from oilfield traffic!

I'll be at our place off hwy 1 about 1-1/2 mile south of Ezzell school.

I'm supposed to be remodeling but hmmm. I could probably sneak off...

I always had enough fun on Gandy to never look into CR1. Since I took this crowd down Gandy last year I thought I would try something new. If CR1 is a caliche super highway I may stay with Gandy simply because of it's character.

Joe,

Maybe you can get out of the house for a while. I'll be in touch closer to the weekend.

m

Meriden,

That sounds good - let me know. We plan on being out there Friday night - Sunday.

I went to the BMW rally in Schulenburg last year and it was great. I'm going to try again, but we have a Grandbaby due any time in Dallas so I can't make plans.

If I go this year I'll take the 650L and trail along behind all the Beemers. I remember talking to Robert S. last year after he went on the GS ride and he said the R1200's are just too big for that stuff. The 650 is made for it!

Hope to see you one way or another. Take care.

Joe

Yes, I've still got the Tiger.

Once we get moved out to Ezzell I might try a set of TKC-80's on it just to see how it will handle the gravel.

Looking forward to it.

Joe

I was wandering around looking for a set of modern forks for the Indian and ran across these in case any of your red riders are interested...

CB750 '78 I think.
CB750.jpg

Honda flipovers (Rman does not want them)
tricycles.jpg

Like new XL250
XL250.jpg

Reminds me of my first street bike, sniff, sniff. XL100
xl100.jpg

Okay that's part of an XL100.

m

You should see some of the Frakenbikes around this place. Had a buddy in high school put a Kawasaki 90 motor in a Honda 125 frame, but it was nothing like this stuff. There is a prewar Buick (The Great War) that has been sawed in half and turned into a tractor. We're finding that the Indian is a collection of parts from different scouts. It's going to take a BIG hammer to get it all to go together.

Did you guys see this funny pic of me from last weekend? Yes the gopro is still on here.

Attachments

• Glock nap.jpg
    Glock nap.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 158
Back