• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

looking for a XR650L.... have 2K in cash... need to hurry before my wife changes her mind... lol... let me know if you have anything... thanks

I bought my 2005 for 2500 about a year ago and put a grand in it to get it right , de-smog, rear rack, bigger gas, tank, tires tail bag. Sometimes it seems it is better to spend some more to get one someone else champed out..
Sheepdog post a picture of yours. Mine is posted on #10744 without Clarke tank. Jeremy I will keep my eye out, you should be able to find one for that price.

Last edited:
I bought my 2005 for 2500 about a year ago and put a grand in it to get it right , de-smog, rear rack, bigger gas, tank, tires tail bag. Sometimes it seems it is better to spend some more to get one someone else champed out..
Sheepdog post a picture of yours. Mine is posted on #10744 without Clarke tank. Jeremy I will keep my eye out, you should be able to find one for that price.
Thanks windmill... that’s exactly what I’m looking to do... nice bike btw

I'm just saying if you can get one farkled out for a few hundred more it may be better because you will spend more doing it yourself. The two main things I did is the desmog and a larger gas tank and the updated counter shaft sprocket. Much on all these on this thread. Have patience something will pop up . I understand budgets, I live on one :-D Jeremy you can also do post wtb on for sale forum.

I'm just saying if you can get one farkled out for a few hundred more it may be better because you will spend more doing it yourself. The two main things I did is the desmog and a larger gas tank and the updated counter shaft sprocket. Much on all these on this thread. Have patience something will pop up . I understand budgets, I live on one :-D Jeremy you can also do post wtb on for sale forum.
10-4 thanks for the advise... you know how it is when u get the approval/cash/itch...

An XR650L will pop up in your price range. They really are reasonable resale. Thing is they are all the same through the years. I would try to get one under 10-15 K miles.
I would like to put an oil cooler on mine next. I have a temp. gauge in frame and have seen mine over 250-275 deg. at highway speed on hot day.
I don't do more than carburetor work on motor , but they are a simple bike and air cooled is more simple than liquid cooled. I have had KLR a 2011 and I like the XR better for all around. It tracks great on gravel roads in my area and still cruze 65 on pavement.
Got my eye open for one for you Jeremy.
I just looked up Mabank, you live in back road dirt road paradise :)

2001 64xx miles De-smogged and jetted. Almost new tires. Runs great. Gas tank has knee dents on both sides, otherwise very clean, no issues, road and trail ready. $3k firm

Attachments

• XR650 SIDE.jpg
    XR650 SIDE.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 217
An XR650L will pop up in your price range. They really are reasonable resale. Thing is they are all the same through the years. I would try to get one under 10-15 K miles.
I would like to put an oil cooler on mine next. I have a temp. gauge in frame and have seen mine over 250-275 deg. at highway speed on hot day.
I don't do more than carburetor work on motor , but they are a simple bike and air cooled is more simple than liquid cooled. I have had KLR a 2011 and I like the XR better for all around. It tracks great on gravel roads in my area and still cruze 65 on pavement.
Got my eye open for one for you Jeremy.
I just looked up Mabank, you live in back road dirt road paradise :)
Yeah, I’ve done a Ton of research and I’m sold on the XR650L... I looked in to the KLR and the DRZ400 but just kept coming back the XR.. I already have some future local rides planned... lol

I've had six of the 650Ls over the years, and I keep coming back to them. Currently do not have one, but if I come across one already done up with USD forks, I'd probably jump on it. Just can't go wrong with these bikes. Yes they are on the heavy side. Yes they are dated, but overall the swiss army knife of dual sport bikes (KTM 500 excluded :-?). Good luck on your search.

I've got an oil cooler and I STILL see 250 regularly and higher if I even slightly flog it. How 'bout others? Is 250 too hot? What do you see on a Texas afternoon (not necessarily 100F weather) with or without the oil cooler?

2001 64xx miles De-smogged and jetted. Almost new tires. Runs great. Gas tank has knee dents on both sides, otherwise very clean, no issues, road and trail ready. $3k firm
Would u consider a trade to make up difference? I have a few mouthy teenagers I would gladly give up... lol, jk... I don’t really like to get rid of guns but might consider... ruger 40C, Remington 870, I’ll look and see what else might be game

His coffee was a little more “Irish” this morning. :lol2:

Last edited:
Reactions: JMZ
LOL To be clear, bike has 6436 miles currently. Clear title in hand. xrJeremy I will text you some pics as soon as I get a chance.

Needs a good cleaning and detailing, but here she is in all her glory!

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_164300.jpg
    IMG_20200721_164300.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20200721_164311.jpg
    IMG_20200721_164311.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20200721_164320.jpg
    IMG_20200721_164320.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20200721_164330.jpg
    IMG_20200721_164330.jpg