• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

OK, I got the stator, but it appears the swap out requires pulling the flywheel. Anyone know if I'll actually need to special puller that the service manual states? Or, will a generic gear puller work? I'd like to be sure I have all the tools (and knowhow) ready once I start the procedure....
I'd go ahead and get the correct tool.
Motion pro has a -$10 one. Or you can source a 22mm x 1.5mm thread pitch bolt

Got me a new seat.
7400aa438271253eccbf562b9ea19d4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JMZ
Love the new seat, looks comfy. Tire new as well. I got a Tusk rear rack and sub frame support from Rocky Mtn. ATV. Wow it is heavy. Anyone use one of these? I like the way it mounts compared to just a rear tail rack that mounts on sub frame only. I may try to install tomorrow.

I need to lower 650l about an inch to inch and a half. I can't quite flat foot it. Is the seat concepts Low the best way to go and will it give me ateast an inch lowered seat height. I hate to mess with lowering link and front forks. Any advice welcomed.

I need to lower 650l about an inch to inch and a half. I can't quite flat foot it. Is the seat concepts Low the best way to go and will it give me ateast an inch lowered seat height. I hate to mess with lowering link and front forks. Any advice welcomed.
If you must flat foot, then I'd look into a low seat.
I dont quite flat foot, but it doesn't bother me. I'm tempted to try a tall seat to get more room between the seat and pegs

I had lowering pegs on my Wee, they may make them for the XR. I will ride some more and maybe get used to it. Just turning the bike around while stopped on dirt feels odd on just front part of one left foot.

Installed Tusk rear rack with sub frame support. Heavier than I wanted, but now I know it will hold more weight. Can also add pannier racks to it if wanted. Soft bags for me.228130

If you need to flat foot it, you bought the wrong bike. Stand on the pegs and ride it like a dirt bike should be ridden.

A "low" seat means less foam.
That means more pressure on the backside.

You might try lessening the spring pre-load so that you get a bit more sag.
You give up some suspension, but probably not as much as a lowering link.

Also, be wary of over-sized footpegs.
When your legs are at full extension to touch, look at the shin-to-footpeg clearance and position.
If you have to dab while in sand, mud or water, the pegs could be a shin eater.

If you need to flat foot it, you bought the wrong bike. Stand on the pegs and ride it like a dirt bike should be ridden.
No problem riding it just gets a little hairy stopping on uneven dirt. Where I ride I'm on the pegs 25% of time. I'll get used to it or duct tape a piece of board to my left foot :). Now I need soft tail bag and maybe a tank bag and larger gas tank and that's it.
Forgot factory preload (still marked yellow paint) is near the top maybe an inch more. I may move it but have to move air box duct to get spanner in. This bike is so much fun on the old Alcoa back roads.

I have been very pleased with the Nomad Tank Bag from Mosko Moto. Very functional. I am running an IMS aftermarket tank, and it fits fine and is out of my way sitting or standing.A940F194-8E38-40CA-A512-8D533EF9AB6C.png

Last edited:
Got any pics mounted on the bike?

Got any pics mounted on the bike?
I would like to see mounted on bike as well. mounted tail bag I got from Dutchinterceptor. I think it fit well and will serve the purpose of lunch or a few things from grocery store. Still would like a tank bag for phone wallet etc. Anyone have a large tank for sale? 229645

Bike goes on reserve at 90 miles. .

Here you go. I am also 229647

including a picture of the Mosko Reckless 80 pannier system.

That looks real good. What brand fuel tank and windshield are those. You have your XR set up as good as I have seen. Good job.

That looks real good. What brand fuel tank and windshield are those. You have your XR set up as good as I have seen. Good job.
Thanks. IMS tank, probably holds a bit less than 4.5 gallons. MRA universal wind screen. Tusk handguards. Rear rack that also stabilizes rear subframe from CycleRacks.com. Oxford heated grips. Rox risers with ProTaper CR High fat bar. Seat Concepts seat. Kouba linkage. DynoJet carb mod.

I would like to see mounted on bike as well. mounted tail bag I got from Dutchinterceptor. I think it fit well and will serve the purpose of lunch or a few things from grocery store. Still would like a tank bag for phone wallet etc. Anyone have a large tank for sale? View attachment 229645

Bike goes on reserve at 90 miles. .
I have an Acerbis tank that’s brand new but can’t remember if it’s for a 650L or 650R. Will check tonight and let you know.

Does it come with all the brackets and hardware? . If it has the whole kit I will take it. Saw on video it is quite a bit to the kit.Thanks

Last edited:
Speaking of gas tanks...

I have the Clarke 4.0 Gal tank - but it's really closer to 3.5 because fuel gets stranded in the 'ears' at the front of the tank - which are about 1.5 inches lower than the SINGLE petcock. Fuel also gets stranded on the right side, but laying the bike over can slush that over to the left.

Do the Acerbis or IMS tanks do this? It's SOOO annoying to run out of gas while I've still got gas in there. Yeah, I could drill out holes and move the petcock lower, then add a second. Anyone done that?

Speaking of gas tanks...

I have the Clarke 4.0 Gal tank - but it's really closer to 3.5 because fuel gets stranded in the 'ears' at the front of the tank - which are about 1.5 inches lower than the SINGLE petcock. Fuel also gets stranded on the right side, but laying the bike over can slush that over to the left.

Do the Acerbis or IMS tanks do this? It's SOOO annoying to run out of gas while I've still got gas in there. Yeah, I could drill out holes and move the petcock lower, then add a second. Anyone done that?
The stock is annoying to start missing out at 80 miles then have to go to reserve and hunt a gas pump. I'll probably go with Acerbis even though you have to move stock turn signals. I like the clear one so I could see level. This bike only gets about 47 mpg which ain't bad.

Does it come with all the brackets and hardware? . If it has the whole kit I will take it. Saw on video it is quite a bit to the kit.Thanks
Yes, there is a bag of brackets and bolts in the bag with the tank; I never opened it. Send me a PM and we'll work it out. Just saw your reply above, it's the red one.

Back