• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Any XR650L owner’s interest in converting your front end to a 2007 CRf450r - I have the front forks, triple clamps and front wheel - tire - rotor. All like new. Post photos later. Houston Area.

Any XR650L owner’s interest in converting your front end to a 2007 CRf450r - I have the front forks, triple clamps and front wheel - tire - rotor. All like new. Post photos later. Houston Area.
Yes... absolutely... let me know what i need to do...

ive decided to pass.... timing isnt right for me... what a cool upgrade though... thanks sandman

Forks - front wheel - and two sets of triple clamps - ask for the twtex discount 😀

Forks - front wheel - and two sets of triple clamps - ask for the twtex discount 😀

So my XR has upgraded forks which i read awhile back somewhere they could be from a 450 bike. So not having done any added research, you all know for certain that is the only upgraded forks for the XR that work are from a 2007 crf450r?

Rode out to the beach today. Fun time on the XR!View attachment 285418

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Takes me back Cory to riding with my bro counting coop from SPI 50 miles round trip to the port Mansfield cut riding 70+ for 20+ miles nonstop each way, good times.

Attachments

• received_10155979957891877.jpg
    received_10155979957891877.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 169
  • received_10155979959126877.jpeg
    received_10155979959126877.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_20210822-024347_SmugMug.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-024347_SmugMug.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 169

Attachments

• 20181003_185204.jpg
    20181003_185204.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20191012_163457.jpg
    20191012_163457.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

So my XR has upgraded forks which i read awhile back somewhere they could be from a 450 bike. So not having done any added research, you all know for certain that is the only upgraded forks for the XR that work are from a 2007 crf450r?
There are a lot of options for installing inverted forks on an XR and the forks can be from a number of different bikes.

Awesome conversion…. These forks were sold on EBay to a guy in Switzerland… Emig Racing has the triple clamps that i had my eye on.

I love that Padre Island ride.

I was going to do the conversion on my XRL and everyone jumped all over me saying it was a waste of time; the stock forks perform better.

Was riding back from dinner on one of our Wednesday night meets and my bike seemed to get louder. I have an old White Brothers pipe on it and figured the baffle must have blown out. Rode to another Wednesday night dinner and knew it had to be something more. Looked down to see something missing. The header pipe broke off and the clamp was gone (clamp in picture was my attempt to repair which didn't work).
broke_pipe1.JPG

I went on eBay to find another header pipe, but there was only one and it looked as bad, if not worse than my original. Looked around at several sites and even looked at the FMF site as well as several companies that sell FMF; no one had a header in stock. So. I ordered a new one from Cheap Cycle Parts and the crush gaskets for the head (right at $300). A few days later I got the gaskets and of course the pipe was on back order. I opened my Yahoo email and one of the ads on the side showed XRL headers on eBay for sale. All of a sudden, there were 8 to choose from and I got a newish looking one from Las Vegas for $80. Cancelled the order for the new pipe and got my refund.
Ground down the internal welds on the replacement header, cleaned it up, and painted it with some high-temp black paint.
internal_welds.JPG

ground_welds.JPG

Got it all installed yesterday;
new_header_installed.JPG

back_together.JPG

Here's what the old pipe looks like:
old_pipe.JPG

So, if anyone needs an open header for an XR650L, let me know.

I think the clamp vibrated loose on the original setup and the header obviously rusted apart. Strange thing is the rusted part of the header wasn't in the end of the pipe and how the pipe clamp fell off through that small gap, I'll never figure out. If you ever need to replace that clamp, Summit racing has a 1.75" clamp that fits perfect for $22 (taxes and shipping included).

Last edited:
Jay , all ya had to do was ask me , I'da givin you a headpipe , I just didnt see this post in time as Ive been in an out
of the Hospital , asmof , posting from one now ,.
I thought you had got rid of all your parts. Sorry to hear you're not doing well. Will check in with you

Reactions: JMZ
Jay , all ya had to do was ask me , I'da givin you a headpipe , I just didnt see this post in time as Ive been in an out
of the Hospital , asmof , posting from one now ,.

I'm hoping you get out for good this time Biggie. Make 2022 a better year, no return visits.

How's a guy to remove a stuck flywheel bolt cap from the left engine cover? That material is SOO soft, my 10mm hex key/socket just starts to deform the part under even very slight pressure. I'm afraid I'll just end up destroying it, regardless of how I try to get it out...

Been discussed several times, usually on a DR. It usually takes a quick sharp hit to loosen. Unfortunately sometimes the plug gets destroyed.

Chain question for y'all: I'm currently running 15/48 gearing. I'd like a touch more highway-friendly, so I was going to drop to the 15/45 that is stock. Would my same chain fit or am I chopping links?

Back