• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hookie Day at TexPlex

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
Yesterday I played hookie and tagged along with a friend of mine to a TexPlex event for people in the motorcycle biz. It'd been a while since I'd hit any trails so wanted to knock the cobwebs off. Got there at 9:30 and left at 3:30. It was HOT, especially with all your gear on. Ran into TossingLead while out there and enjoyed riding around together for a bit. I was getting his sea legs back after breaking his leg earlier this year.

We went there mostly for the trails but those are fairly limited at one course, which we ran 5 times. It was quite tight with lots of hard 90's and 180' following one after the other with only minimal elevation changes. Still fun but certainly not RRMT. We did run the MX courses which I'd never done. Those were FUN! Caught some air and thought I was doing pretty ok until I was demoralized by teenagers flying 15' in the air. Very very impressive!

Probably the most fun was them letting us run our bikes on the Raptor track. This is a wide open trail that was pretty well groomed and really fun for some higher speed hauling-butt fun. It's 8 miles long! We really had a blast on that course. If I went back I'd like to ride it again on the bike but I might also take my truck down it at a modest pace. There are a few SERIOUS jumps that damaged some trucks so I'd need to be careful with those. The track is wide enough that I won't have to worry about tree limbs scratching the sides unless I went off-track.

Anyhoo, it was a LOT better than working so I appreciate the invite I got from MotorcycleMark on this forum.

Can you tell us more about the motorcycle trails? I haven't been out there since they redid them.

What bike were you riding?

There is just a single loop of about 3-4 miles. It's one-way so very safe. I would say you spend 50% of the time within the trees but the trees are small and often don't provide much shade. There are sections that have a lot of very tight switchbacks between the trees and then the occasional open area that runs across a field. They're are some whoops both natural and man-made.

There's no deviating off the route so after a few times you kind of feel it's repetitive. Nothing like Red River where you can meander anywhere you want and get completely lost. The only way it would remain engaging would be if you timed yourselves and worked at constantly improving your times.

They have an MX track and a motorcross track. The MC track is more flowing and less whoops and perhaps the jumps are a bit smaller but they're still BIG. If I go back it'll be more for the motorcross track and the Raptor track. If I want to run trails it's hard to beat RRMT.

There is just a single loop of about 3-4 miles. It's one-way so very safe. I would say you spend 50% of the time within the trees but the trees are small and often don't provide much shade. There are sections that have a lot of very tight switchbacks between the trees and then the occasional open area that runs across a field. They're are some whoops both natural and man-made.

Is it pretty flat? They used to have some decent creek crossings in the old trail.

I'd consider it fairly flat. There are no 'climbs' at all. You may have a total 40-50' variance from bottom to top but that's gradual. You drop down near a pond maybe 8' at one point.

The jumps and ramps on the autocross track where MUCH taller. They went straight up in some cases for what seemed like 12-15'

Had a good time riding, still need more time to get my confidence back, have not been on dirt sense 12/25/18.
It was HOT.
Great Playing Hookie.
Good meeting you Bart.

Back