• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hot Pie Run in Celina - July 2008

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Use this spot for stories, pictures, and anecdotes...

There was a reporter for a local newspaper that talked to several people, including Scott (TourMeister) and Debbie (Snoopster), so it will be interesting what gets written.

Excellent turnout on a hot summers day! :thumb: Details as they come in.

Great meet! Nice people, good pie and an awesome tee shirt.

Attachments

• Lucy's Diner - Celina.jpg
    Lucy's Diner - Celina.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Sarah & Ira Celina Pie Run.jpg
    Sarah & Ira Celina Pie Run.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Jim & Stefano Celina Pie Run.jpg
    Jim & Stefano Celina Pie Run.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 232
Observations from todays Pie Run.

1. It was hot.
2. The FWRexMaps Navigation System is fallable. But after today, the last 2 roads in Texas that it was missing were added to the database. Now FWRexMaps has every road in Texas locked into its memory banks.
3. I saw more functional oil wells today than I've seen in a long time. I stopped counting at 14.
4. Counting oil wells while riding a motorcycle can be hazardous to your health.
5. It was really hot.
6. It's difficult to concentrate on the road when following another ZRX. I find myself admiring the bike instead of watching the road. :lol2:

Chuck and Susan brought out the welcome wagon.
P7250017.jpg

There were ZRXs of every color.
P7250018.jpg

P7250019.jpg

P7250021.jpg

Pretty decent turnout.
P7250020.jpg

My favorites (other than the ZRXs of course ;) )
P7250022.jpg

P7250023.jpg

P7250025.jpg

The staff was working hard in the back;
P7250026.jpg

This lovely lady was running from Tourmeister's camera, so I snapped this while he was keeping her occupied. Sorry, I didn't catch your name.
P7250028.jpg

I had a great time, and I owe a HUGE thanks to FWRex's (Kelly) wife, Allison, for volunteering to watch my kiddos while Kelly and I went and played. Allison, the kids said they had a great time and they loved having you as a sitter. I guess you're hired! You're the now the most overqualified babysitter in the world. ;) Kristy sends her thanks, too.

Thanks for leading the ride, Kelly. As always, your route was great. :thumb:

Looks like another great Pie Run. Would have loved to had been there but it was just too far and too hot for me this time. I am thankful that at least one Moto Guzzi was there to represent the Italian market.
I think I've seen that bike before

Last edited:
There were a lot of bikes scattered around the square.

square_5370q.jpg

square_5371q.jpg

bikes_5372q.jpg

The Plymouth Prowler was driven by someone (forgot who) with the group. Several couples caged it in due to various concerns.

Brian (drroccostein) and his daughter, Kaitlin check out the orange Tiger.
d70_5369q.jpg

Lots of folks wandered around and looked at the variety of bikes - just about every major manufacturer was represented.

Some of the usual suspects from the Tarrant County group
rich_scott_mike_5373q.jpg

Rich (Simmons1), Scott (dfwscotty), and Mike (Mike B)

Russ (busarider1) has been away for a year, deploying to the middle east. He is now on a one year assignment to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. However, riding a few hundred miles for pie is not unusual for him! :thumb:
russ_5366q.jpg

A local reporter talked to several folks to get the TWT Pie Run "story". I can't blame him for talking with Debbie (Snoopster)
interview_5367q.jpg

AS always, I didn't take enough pictures. I also went into name/face overload. :giveup:

more to come...

Last min decison to make this one and glad I did. Met up with Ham and Son of Ham. Ham was on his DL1000 and Son on the KLR. Knowing we would hit rock roads, I took the XT600 out for a spin. It was nice following for a change as I usually do the routing. Ham took us up some nice bumpy SM roads north of Denton and then we hit gravel county roads all the way to Celina. Good fun. Lots of nice bikes and nicer people.

As we went into Lucy's, Ham and I noticed one of the waiters. It was Vern! Someone we worked with a couple of years ago. We got caught up and that was cool. I also got to meet Donrodger from the board who is a local that I havent caught up with in person. We tried to talk TXShadow back to her camp via dirt but her ankle wasnt up to it. Maybe next time Elsie.

Man, the Stroms were in force. Seemed 40% of the bikes were a Strom of some kind. Kinda wish I had rode mine.

Food was excellent, as was the parking and nice shaded areas in the middle of the square. I thought about using that gazebo for a nap. Prices were great and Im still stuffed. I talked with the owner a bit as we checked out and asked how they had done and he was all smiles. I also overheard a waitress talking to another about how we were "tipping good". I think they will want us back.

Thanks to all that came.

I think I had the oldest bike there! 1984 XT600

It was hot but not that humid. I had a good day, took 455 back to 51 to get home. Passed a lot of Porshe's coming out of eagles canyon racetrack.

Dang it I had to miss a Pie Run in my own back yard, I will definitly make the next. Glad to know nobody got hurt in my district.

Well, no pictures on my part but this was my first outing after surgery.:clap:
I was chauffeur driven by my wife and it was a pretty good day.
Had our lunch with jbh/Brad in the second wave of seating.
Not up to my "full diet" yet so I sampled the Fried pickles and a little Coconut cream pie.
Finally got to meet tx246/Gene. His daughter dates the son of our good friends. (last year I was showing our friends the ride report from "Copper Canyon" and later that evening they were "meeting the parents" of the young girl the son was dating. Gary, our friend, was relating the Copper Canyon thread and Gene said, "that was us". Small world)
Got to see doons/Randy and his buddy Bob who I met 2 years ago on the way to Mineola. Man does time fly................

Hopefully Lucy's will stay on the Pie Run list for many years to come. :thumb:

Looks like you all had a pretty good day of pie and riding.

Me and dad showed up, but about 20 minutes after arriving we had to split because of business. We were on call in Collin County and were the only 2 working it, so when a call comes in we have to drop what we're doing and get to it. Was fun while it lasted. I'm sure we'll try it again. Met a few guys there. If anyone in or around McKinney ever want to ride, hit me up. I'm always looking for someone who wants to take off for a couple of hours of riding

A local reporter talked to several folks to get the TWT Pie Run "story". I can't blame him for talking with Debbie (Snoopster)
interview_5367q.jpg

If they publish an article, can someone send it to me? I'd love to have a copy! What paper was he with?:clap:

Looks like a great Pie Run! Great to see Russ making such a long ride to be with everyone and especially good to see him back from Iraq!!!

I think I saw at least 2 posts that mentioned our fearless leader actually made a Pie Run!:eek2:

It was my first pie run and really great to see everyone today. The lady in the red shirt working in the bakery above is Mrs. Shaggy (Prea). Everyone working, including the owners said it was a great experience and would welcome us all back at any time and something about preferably sooner than later :)

I was also thinking if it does make it to the next schedule that it could be in a cooler month so that people could take advantage of having so much room for parking and hanging out that we could all stay and shoot the breeze a little longer. I had really hoped to meet and talk to more people today but the heat didnt really make it enjoyable to stand around too much outside.

The local paper is The Celina Record and is mailed out every Thursday. I get a copy here and can scan it in to share. I will also see if I can pic up a few extra copies. They also have a website and hopefully it will be posted there as well. They are an affiliate of the Star Community Newspaper company http://www.scntx.com/ and if you scroll down that page you will get to the Celina Record paper's area http://www.scntx.com/celina_record/news/

Would love to make it to next months, but its a bit far for the both of us to ride two up on the FZ6. Maybe I can trailer it down for a weekend in Austin and ride out to Marble Falls if she wants to go. Other wise if its just me, I will just ride all the way.

Did Ms. Shaggy make the Chocolate Cream Pie? If so tell her it was delish!

That was a great event, I'm glad I made it! It was a real pleasure meeting all you guys and gals.

It was my first pie run, I have known Russ via our Suzuki TLR days. I had a great time, ate some good food and met some nice folks. Thanks again!

Here's our bikes, forgive the cell phone picture

Chris's DR-Z400SM (the black one)
Jasen's DR-Z400SM (the yellow one)
Mine, the Tuono

Photo0123.jpg

Well, it was a challenging start to the day. Checked email when I got up and the server room was at 99.5 F. :doh:Plan B--run up and config the backup AC, figure out what's wrong with the primary and maybe still make the pie run. Got all that coordinated and geared up and left the house at 11:15. So much for the long route. tehtank was still in the game, so after Camelbaks were charged, I took a deep breath and told myself out loud--"We're not in a hurry; leave it here."

Slabbed it up on 75 to 455, then cut over. Arrived at 12:15 just as the majority were finishing up, but still got to see a good bit of bikes and have some nice chats. tehtank gave up a smile for the day. Blueberry pie was A+ :thumb:

Thanks to Pie Man II to organizing another great ride and to Shaggy for twisting their arm to make blueberry pie.

Running back at 13:30 was hot, hot, hot. I was doing my best squid on pegs impersonation to expand the air flow.

All in all, a great time. Always good to ride with my son. :rider:

Attachments

• IMAGE_030.jpg
    IMAGE_030.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAGE_032.jpg
    IMAGE_032.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAGE_029.jpg
    IMAGE_029.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 178
Just back from Knoxville. I'm sorry that I missed this one. Have I already said that I hate flying anymore. :argh:

All in all, a great time. Always good to ride with my son. :rider:

:thumb:

A similar story for me - I was able to talk my brother into joining us and he said he enjoyed it. He liked all the different bikes.

That sir, is a Moto Guzzi. A fine example of Italian ingenuity.

Italy was well represented with Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, and Ducati.

Neal (Eltee) took a picture of Susan (tortuga) and I with the banner. He took a second one but that one made me look like I had WAY too much pie. :doh:
banner_5396q.jpg

chuck_susan_5397q.jpg

More bikes
bikes_5400q.jpg

bikes_5399q.jpg

bikes_5374q.jpg

OK - indoor pictures of folks eating. I have a list of a bunch of names and screen names but sometimes they don't register with faces. :doh:
inside_5377q.jpg

I first met Scott (KawRider) in Mineola with his son Lucas. Tami came with him this time.
tami_scott_5380q.jpg

(I usually forget the food pictures - see the pie in the lower left!)

It was a surprise to see Debbie (Snoopster) and Scott (Tourmeister) up from Huntsville. They are at the near end of this table.

table_5378q.jpg

d70_5379q.jpg

Last edited:
What a great day. Wandered up around St. Jo to exercise the bike and the adrenal glands a bit. Discovered that a 132 decibel horn will part road-hogging bicyclists like the Red Sea.:mrgreen: Made it into Celina in time for an excellent lunch and good company. Wayne, as always it was good riding with you. Thanks for your patience regarding navigation.:doh: Allison had a blast watching your young 'uns and I think that Reilly wants to move in. You've got a great family. Sean, thanks for rounding up the usual suspects. It's been a while since I've sat down to a meal with the local hoolies; truly a great bunch of guys. Chuck, please thank Susan for letting you tag along.;-) I enjoyed talking with her, even though I couldn't talk her into letting me ride that thing. And Scott, after years on this board, it was good to meet you. Looking forward to the next one, y'all.

Chuck, I think your photo server is about to croak! :giveup:

Back