• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston, Tenemos Problemas (Mextrek 13 ride report)

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
Pedro del Norte here. Reporting from under a tiger blanket in room 18 at the Magdelena Hotel, Galeana, Nuevo Leon Mexico.

Santiago Lite, Mextrek, Edition #13, is a wrap. 53 participants, a chase truck, 3 days of incredible dirt riding, and chill evenings on the town in Santiago made for a near picture perfect introduction to Mexico for our talented group of 31 new Mexico riders and 22 experienced hands. And just like "My Jimmy" in Apollo 13, we steered this washing machine home.

These are their stories:

Ok I’ll go first. I have a lot of footage that I would like to post but a lot of editing needed so I’ll do it but by bit. I’m starting back to front and posting the last day first and working back to the start. There was some tough stuff on the last day but this trip is as tough or as easy as you want to make it with many routes on offer. Our group ordered the full meal deal and we ate as much dirt as we could handle 😁

For anybody considering whether to go on one of these trips I would simply say; commit and do it. It will exceed your expectations for sure. Exceptionally well organized, any skill level will enjoy it, even if I had just rode the asphalt the whole time it would still have been awesome. But the off-road riding was beyond amazing. I can’t explain, you just have to come for yourself.👊✊🤙

Did that sign at 4:42 say private property?
It’s very possible yes. We took a few wrong turns and had to turn around. Any property we rode onto was by accident and the people we met were all friendly and understanding. We just turned round and took the other fork. I didn’t show all the turn around but there were a few.

It’s very possible yes. We took a few wrong turns and had to turn around. Any property we rode onto was by accident and the people we met were all friendly and understanding. We just turned round and took the other fork. I didn’t show all the turn around but there were a few.
When you get to the fork in the road take it!

It's hard to tell from the videos just how steep and difficult some of the terrain is. I guarantee some of it is like nothing you've ever seen. I will add to the above posts that even the pavement rides are not for the inexperienced rider. If you are a new rider I recommend you get some more experience and take some more riding classes before going on this trip. The pavement is slick, steep and covered with debris in many areas not to mention the speed bumps, pot holes and crazy drivers.

It's hard to tell from the videos just how steep and difficult some of the terrain is. I guarantee some of it is like nothing you've ever seen. I will add to the above posts that even the pavement rides are not for the inexperienced rider. If you are a new rider I recommend you get some more experience and take some more riding classes before going on this trip. The pavement is slick, steep and covered with debris in many areas not to mention the speed bumps, pot holes and crazy drivers.
I have some pavement riding from day 1 that’s I’ll share soon. It is spectaculaaarrrr! :)

Aren’t all of these big bikes?

Cool video, can’t wait to make it to one of these, on my GSA of course.

Edit: just noticed the GSA is missing the beak!

It seemed like a good example of the rider fairly easily making it up the climb on his smaller KTM, then immediately struggling with the same climb on the GSA.

Showing where a smaller (or medium sized) bike can make a tougher ride more enjoyable.

Aren’t all of these big bikes?

Cool video, can’t wait to make it to one of these, on my GSA of course.

Edit: just noticed the GSA is missing the beak!
Yeah that’s a whole other story from earlier in the ride that will have it’s own video. That’s why everyone is so beat at this point.

It seemed like a good example of the rider fairly easily making it up the climb on his smaller KTM, then immediately struggling with the same climb on the GSA.

Showing where a smaller (or medium sized) bike can make a tougher ride more enjoyable.
The KTM is a 1000cc twin. Not exactly a small bike but built and designed specifically for this type of riding. It is undoubtedly easier to ride in this terrain than the GSA. For me personally for the type of riding we did on this trip I would not have wanted to be on any other bike, bigger or smaller than the KTM. It was perfect. Never dropped it the whole trip, never had a mechanical problem, broke nothing. Until the ride home. But that again is a whole other story.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at with Ocho. A bike that's easier to ride in certain situations can make a ride more enjoyable than another bike.
100% I agree. The thing about this trip was that there is some truly amazing road riding also with plenty of sweeping curves and sharp switchbacks. The KTM has wads of power so it’s like having a sports bike on the road. Like I said, the perfect bike for this particular trip in my personal opinion. But whatever floats your boat, go with it. It’s about having fun, not struggling and being miserable for sure😊👊✊

Back