• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How Bad is this Damage?

Just wondering, is there a claim on your bike insurance for the medical treatment? If so you might as well have them pay for bike repairs as well. My 2c

Hi @MotoTex thanks for your feedback and the surprise to hear you had the same injury, same style bike, same geographic area! Wow that is crazy.
I was in Terlingua Ranch very close to reaching “Top Of The World”. Spun out a bit and lost it on a curve ascending in very loose rock.
However, I am very lucky; mine was a “stable fracture” not radial, etc. so no surgery - just a very long time on crutches with zero weight bearing allowed and then even longer to rehab the soft tissue and atrophy.
Be careful! I had the same injury and developed a DVT from the inactivity, then threw a pulmonary embolism. It could easily have been fatal.

Yes you can get med pay or personal injury protection on a policy for not much cost. Good if you have a high deductable medical policy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would be more concerned with that one where the steel is wrinkled and cracked. That is a entry for water in that tube and a new point for corrosion....

I agree and I need someone more knowledgeable to take a close look at the big dent. It’s hard to tell for me but I know the paint/powder coat protection is compromised for sure and I am concerned about corrosion. Perhaps I need to sand away some to get a better look at the metal.

Insurance guy here for a little perspective. If you have personal injury protection you may cost more to fix than the bike. Dependent on your health insurance. You can buy the bike back after a total for salvage value. Can you fix it? Good luck on the injury, I learned from breaking both elbows years ago the arthritis hurts for longer than the original fracture.

Ouch! I hope your elbows are better and you get relief from Arthritis.
Doc did tell me the knee would never be the same and prepare for arthritis. [emoji53]

Be careful! I had the same injury and developed a DVT from the inactivity, then threw a pulmonary embolism. It could easily have been fatal.

Thanks. I did have mild DVT symptoms and had to go in for an ultrasound where they said only superficial / surface.
However, still seven moths after the injury, my ankle on that leg is a bit puffy and socks make a more pronounced indention....

Broke em on a bicycle. Still riding that one cause it keeps me in shape to ride the beemer.

I have totaled two bikes, kept them both after partial write off and rebuilt them better than new for less than I was paid. total it but keep it, the insurance will subtract the wreck value. you then have that bid ding patched and use the rest for upgrades.

Thanks for this FF - I am thinking this would make sense - however The title will forever show “salvage” status if I do?

Is that a single unit frame or does the lower cradle separate from the rest? Replacing the frame on some bikes ends up with a VIN change. That was the case with the H-D and the neck had to be sent back to the factory to officially scrap the old VIN.

Not sure how to tell if single unit frame, I just assumed it was.

I think you are over-thinking this ... it's not the original copy of the declaration of independence.
It's a lot tougher than you may think.

I see dents in the pictures ... I don't see cracks, splits or breaks.
Ride it and watch it.

I did ride it on Saturday!

9ab768ae66311ee4b385806c2d29e956.jpg

I had an 83 XR500 that I used for a Cross Country racer in the late 90's. At a race that used part of Village Creek's MX track as the course I cased a jump and my left footpeg dropped away. The frame tube that supported it crushed in and was done for.

I took the bike to a local race car shop in Kennedale and 2 days later when they could fit me in, they cut out the damaged section of frame, welded in a new section, and remounted the footpeg perch. That lasted until I sold the bike and was honestly probably stronger than the rest of the frame at that point.

Glad to see that you got back out on it.

Cracks develop near welds , not in an open section of frame unless it’s a real high stress area , frame loops under the motor are not high stress areas , several of my bikes don’t have loops under the motor . It’s purely cosmetic issues .

Cracks develop near welds , not in an open section of frame unless it’s a real high stress area , frame loops under the motor are not high stress areas , several of my bikes don’t have loops under the motor . It’s purely cosmetic issues .

@Cagiva 549 thank you for that feedback. Feeling better about things now.
I do plan to brush off the paint and look very closely just to make me feel more confident. Then will apply some primer and paint back if all looks ok.
May still consider the “doubler” welded in - again just to help me not worry about it.

Back