• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How did I do

JTM

Reaction score
Just curious about how this picture came out, I'll post some more once I get them loaded. This is from my trip to California and I can't wait to go back.

067.jpg

Very nice. Tell us all about your trip when you get back. I need something to liven my dreary days in the cubical. :suicide:

I went in Early september, but life is just now slowing down enough to get some pictures up.

Great shot. It jumps out at you when you first see the thread.

2 words: Wall Portrait

Nice shot... I tend to put the horizon lines on the "thirds" rather than centered. Hopefully you took several from this vantage point - lot of potential.

This one was taken on one of the stops between San Fransico to Monterey. I took an average of 110 pictures per day, this is a big deal because it is the first trip where my wife and I took more than 150pictures during the whole trip and we starting adjusting the settings on our Olympus point and shoot camera. Right now this picture is the back ground on my work computer and it is really cutting into me working.

Outstanding.
Although I agree with txbanditrydr on the thirds approach, in this case, I think breaking the "rules" works on this one.

Here's a cropped version using the thirds "rule"

Attachments

• thirds.jpg
    thirds.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 227
Outstanding.
Here's a cropped version using the thirds "rule"

I like that better since it places the emphasis on the foreground objects. Now if there was some spectacular sky/cloud/sunset/sunrise aspect to it then you might include more of that but the rocks & water are the allure to this shot IHMO.

Nice picture Justin. Thought you went to Galveston for a minute there.:rofl:

Here are a couple more

The first Lighthouse on the California coast.
172.jpg

The wind just didn't want to cooperate to get both the lighthouse and the U.S. flag from the angle I wanted.

It leaks oil, but it isn't a Harley :giveup:
103.jpg

044.jpg

056.jpg

Of the 4, I like the last one. You have a clear subject and left enuff room in the frame for the speed boat.

The lighthouse doesn't seem interesting to me. The second shot is a nice landscape but seems to be lacking a subject and emotion. The Harley shot seems out of focus at least on my monitor.

Enlarge the first one of the rocky beach - great shot.

The light house is just one of those things, I like Lighthouses.

And I had to get a picture of a Honda leaking oil, I have another picture showing the primary cover reading "honda".

My wife did not understand why I got a pic of the Coast Guard boats, but I liked the shot.

2 words: Wall Portrait

- lot of potential.

this picture is the back ground on my work computer.

Now if there was some spectacular sky/cloud/sunset/sunrise aspect

OK, hope you don't mind but with all the comments above I took the liberty to play with it just a bit. A little saturation adjustment and sharpening is all that was done. I still can't figure out why the rock on the right is out of focus more then the rock in the center foreground.

JTM_Ocean.jpg

I still can't figure out why the rock on the right is out of focus more then the rock in the center foreground.

My guess is that it's soft from the lens (i.e. soft around the edges).

The pic with the domed structure and lake with ducks would make a nice jigsaw puzzle. I think there is a place where you can send pictures and they make puzzles of them for you. I don't recall where I saw that though... Might make for some cool Christmas gift ideas... Beth likes puzzles... :ponder: As if she has time for them anymore :doh:

Here's one where you can have hard bound books made with your photos:

http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-books

Scott (M38A1) if you could post the other pics that you enhanced, it would be awesome. I am would love to know how you made the orange's pop in the coast guard picture and Photo of the Palace of Fine Arts there is no comparasion.

Scott (Tour), I never even thought about making a jigsaw puzzle. Might be a good idea since I like puzzles.

The Palace of Fine arts has been in several movies and I believe even the a small appearance in the "The Rock"

From Wiki:
"One of the more recent sequences takes place in The Rock, where FBI agent Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) finally catches up with John Mason (Sean Connery)."

I do that after my big trip every year. I take one photo and have it blown up poster size and framed. (After some minor touch up in Photoshop)

It makes for interesting conversation when people ask the story about the photo.

The Palace of Fine arts has been in several movies and I believe even the a small appearance in the "The Rock"

From Wiki:
"One of the more recent sequences takes place in The Rock, where FBI agent Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) finally catches up with John Mason (Sean Connery)."

Cool, considering I saw the movie when it first came out years ago. I am still not senile.

cool_shades.gif

RB

Scott (M38A1) if you could post the other pics that you enhanced, it would be awesome. I am would love to know how you made the orange's pop in the coast guard picture and Photo of the Palace of Fine Arts there is no comparasion.

Using Lightroom v2.2 (and not having read the manual either) I first sharpened the image about 20pts. Then I increased the color saturation of the Reds, Oranges by about 5pts. I played with the blue saturation/hue a bit for the sky/water and did a white balance adjustment last. Maybe 5 minutes work. The sky is still a bit weird on this one. Not a lot of contrast to play with between the sky and ocean. But the boats did pop out well.
JTM_Boat.jpg

Again using Lightroom v2.2 I sharpened the image, then hit the white balance followed up by color saturations increases on the red, green, blues. Maybe 5 minutes on this one tops. Again, the right side of this one seems fuzzy/out of focus compared to the left. It's almost in the same place as the ocean shot and the rock. Is the lens clean? Can you dig out any exif information to see if the zoom/focal lengths were about the same? In any case, I really like how this one turned out. Is it more in-line with what you and the Mrs. remember it looking like that day? Until the post, I didn't recognize there were some faint light clouds in the top left either.
JTM_Pond.jpg

I'm a huge fan of post-processing now. The camera's come close to what the eye sees, but post makes it happen.

that is so much closer to what I remember. I suspect the lense needs cleaning again or did not get fully cleaned last time I tried cleaning it. The camera has been on several offroad, camping, hiking, beach, and general outdoor trips and vacations.

Back